Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a marine is slain and the below or above marine has to shift accompanied by terrain cards, what do you do when the slain marine had terrain cards beside him as well. Do you put the terrain cards that have to be shifted on top of the other ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Rules p.28 - When shifting, note that it is possible for more than one Terrain card to be in the same position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've checked it and you're right. Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When shifting, note that it is possible for more than one Terrain card to be in the same position.

This I cannot quite understand - it seems there is a shortening of space if a marine was slain. Can anyone internalize it for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Quote:
When shifting, note that it is possible for more than one Terrain card to be in the same position.

This I cannot quite understand - it seems there is a shortening of space if a marine was slain. Can anyone internalize it for me?

When a marine dies, you either shift everything above him in the formation one position down, or everything beneath him in the formation one position up. You do whichever one moves the fewest marines, but which moves at least one marine. In the case of a tie move the lower half.

So say you are at "Lower Accessway" with 10 marines. So there is a vent on the left in the third position from the top and a corridor on the left in the fourth position from the top. If the marine in position 4 dies, the three marines above him will shift down, and the vent will shift down to the same position as the corridor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the rules. What I don't understand is why terrain cards can be at the same location after shifting. What does it represent actually in the setting, even though it is sci-fi? How come the next marine can be at both locations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scheitlin
United States
Halethorpe
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you just have to forget the theme and think about it as a necessary mechanic. Theme or reality wise it makes no sense, but mechanically if you didn't shift the terrain cards you'd potentially have vacant spots and Genestealers could build up there with no real threat to the player. Allowing you to really game the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue Not a good rule to me. I don't like rule for the sake of mechanic. The rule should have something to do with the reality that can be interpreted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at it thematically. The dead Marine was covering say Ventilation Duct, but now the next Marine (to whose position the VD shifted) has to cover not only his original (if any) terrain, but VD as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Noonan
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Rauli, think it of it as obstacles that someone is covering as they move through the location.

I'd also suggest that you don't think of the Marines as moving through a corridor. That image didn't match the mechanics at all for me. Eventually I started thinking of it as them moving from room to room (location to location) with "travel" being the point where they rushed through a doorway, sometimes with a door they can close, and into the new room.

It's still not perfect, especially with regards to the GS following and being in the same locations, but it's close enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awfki wrote:
Eventually I started thinking of it as them moving from room to room (location to location)

That cannot visualize why there could be two Terrain cards at the same location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence:

Here is my version of it to help you internalize the situation:

The game is clearly an abstract representation of the Space Hulk game (we are clear on this), the marines are NOT really standing in a LINE on the table! The terrain cards even doubled up just represent the terrain(s) the enemy is using for cover OR the area the marine is patrolling.

Everyone else:

You have to talk slowly and deliberately when you are explaining stuff to a wargamer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.