Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Roberts
United Kingdom
Colwyn Bay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if there have been any plans for a reprint of 1870?

It's pretty hard to get hold of a copy in the UK now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game and 1856: Railroading in Upper Canada from 1856 almost bankrupted Mayfair, so I doubt they'll be in a hurry to repeat the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
Capoeirista wrote:
This game and 1856: Railroading in Upper Canada from 1856 almost bankrupted Mayfair, so I doubt they'll be in a hurry to repeat the experience.

Sounds like they didn't plan where their permanent train was going to come from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Prescott
England
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it this way. Mayfair took about 18 years for their 1st edition to go out of print as a result of their optimistic estimate of those who would be likely to buy. I would think that the market has been saturated by now. When copies start selling on ebay for $200 or more then they might be interested in a reprint ... but there again they had lots of (mostly unfair, in my opinion) criticism when they decided to print a 2nd edition of 1830.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The criticism wasn't that they decided to reprint 1830, it was that they managed to fail at copying an existing product. Both their versions of 1830 and 1853 needed a proofreader.

Of course that fact wouldn't prevent me from buying more 18xx games from them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
The criticism wasn't that they decided to reprint 1830, it was that they managed to fail at copying an existing product. Both their versions of 1830 and 1853 needed a proofreader.

Really? I thought that the criticism was about it being two years late with repeated missed dates, long before people realised that during those two years they hadn't proof-read it.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Straight To Hell wrote:
Does anyone know if there have been any plans for a reprint of 1870?

None.

Quote:
It's pretty hard to get hold of a copy in the UK now.

I would be surprised if there were reprint within the next decade. I expect I would also be surprised if there were a non-trivial reprint within the next two decades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Being an 18xx newb, and owning a copy of the new edition of 1830 - I had no fricking idea who wrote the rules, but typos aside, the original rules as published far exceeded the presentation of the new edition.

Don't get me wrong, though - I'm glad to have a copy and really like the updated components and beautiful product they produced . . . but those rules . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dixon
msg tools
mb
I would not mind a reprint with updates done to the quality of deep Thought Games. I do not want a version over done like the new 1830 Mayfair release. There graphic style impacts play ability.

Of course there is the question of who is to do it.
As the contracts with Mayfair have long expired the field is open.
As the New Mayfair is not in my good books right now, they are currently out of the question even if they wanted to redo the game.

Deep Thought could do the game but they have so many games now and are so backed up on production, I don't think they want another game.

I am not interested in hand making copies like I did back in the 90s.
We will see if anybody wants to step forward with a good business plan.

Bill Dixon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.