United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a situation occur in our last game where a tile was drawn to go in a spot where an illusion tile had previously disappeared. Because of the placement of the doors, this had the effect of completely cutting off one of the players (who had not been able to return to the safe room in time last round) from the exit. There were not enough tiles left in the stack to build another way back and the game ended with no way for this player to reach the exit. Short of getting lucky and finding a secret passage or teleport treasure, is there any official way to handle this situation? I thought about letting players take an empty room from the temple and return it to the supply if they explore and the stack is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any official ruling or anything, but I'd say this is one of the challenges of playing with the Illusions. If you get stuck, it just seems like you're stuck in the tomb till the end of time... Make sure you get back before the room disappears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that removed illusion tiles are to be put back at the bottom of the tile deck, so you should not run out of tiles.

Also, playing with treasures can make this easier, as you can have some secret doors to help you out. Otherwise you just have to rely on careful exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Anaesthetic wrote:
Note that removed illusion tiles are to be put back at the bottom of the tile deck, so you should not run out of tiles.

Also, playing with treasures can make this easier, as you can have some secret doors to help you out. Otherwise you just have to rely on careful exploring.

We did run out of tiles even after putting the illusions back at the bottom - it was a 6 player game and the 5 players who were not cut off were also still exploring looking for gems. I suppose if we had not let anyone explore except the cut off player then there might have been enough tiles to make it back. It would have taken at least 4 or 5 - maybe more if the doors didn't open the right way. And we did uncover all the treasures, but didn't find any secret doors. I'm not too worried about it - it's probably unlikely to play out exactly that way again. But I'll probably still house-rule something if it does. Otherwise we might as well have just quit early - after we uncovered all the treasures and tiles there was literally no way to win the game regardless of what anyone rolled. We really do love the game though, and are looking forward to trying the illusions again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
In this instance, I'd just say that player got caught exploring a little too far afield, and the curse got 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Kuringen
flag msg tools
There are only two truths in the world: men are smarter than women and the earth is flat!
badge
"Ahhhhgr!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you had to put your cut-off player in the start room?
When the door shuts or the sand runs out, you remove all the 'green' tiles. The players that didn't reach the start tile, loose a die and are put back in the start tile regardless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephilim wrote:
I thought you had to put your cut-off player in the start room?
When the door shuts or the sand runs out, you remove all the 'green' tiles. The players that didn't reach the start tile, loose a die and are put back in the start tile regardless?

I believe the rules only say to do that if you are standing on an illusion tile when it disappears. I think that giving a cut off player that option as well would be a good solution though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.