Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that it is allowed for a user to look at his own coats-of-arms to see which he has, but he should keep them covered. Why is this mentioned? What would be the benefit of knowing which you have? I can't see anyone actually changing their moves or strategy based on this information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure what the point of it is either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it gives you a bit of information that can be helpful.

If, for example, you have 6 shields and 5 of them are the same, you can be pretty sure that you will be getting one bonus point and the others will be going to your opponents. There probably isn't going to be much that will affect that if it's late in the game. If you have an option of whether to pursue a shield or another item that is worth one point, they are pretty much equal.

On the other hand, if you have 3 each of two different kinds, then it might be worth it to you to grab another shield as opposed to going for a non-shield point.

It's not a huge deal, but knowing what you have can be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The main purpose of coat-of-arms is to introduce a "hidden score" element, that's why you're told to keep them hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly?
I think this because if it wasn't written in the rules there would be some rule lawyers who'd try to disqualify you from the game just because you looked at your coats-of-arms...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It stops AP. Otherwise you could work out exactly how many points you need to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.