United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So my birthday was this past saturday, and my wife bought me a copy of the base game, yaaa....I apparently hadn't updated my amazon wishlist to have the carbon version, or the pocket version instead...

So here I am now with my NIS hive that doesn't include the Ladybug, or Mosquito, which the completionist in me really wants, yet the miser in me cannot justify paying another $15 for 4 more tiles for a game that cost ~$22 for many more than 4 tiles.

Has anyone found a neat and visually appealing way to make those 4 needed tiles that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Are there any other options that I am not seeing?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just suck it up and get the expansions. You know you want 'em. You know you need 'em. You know you'll be glad you got 'em. Nothing else is a worhty substitute. Trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend playing the game without them for a while.

We played without them for our first 20+ games. While we're not experts, my amateur opinion is that they don't add a whole lot (besides speeding up the end-game somewhat). Even when we officially include them, often they don't come into play (or might be placed but not used to their full potential).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game for a year and never felt the need for expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't think the game needs the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could find hex nuts out there that are the same dimensions of the tiles. A little paint here an there to differentiate the two, or fill the holes with something solid and then affix labels to them. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks.

But I agree with most of the people here. Play the base game a bunch of times before picking up the expansions, they're neat but Hive is such a beautiful game on its own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Niska
Sweden
Luleå
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Pocket Edition and we recently decided to exclude the expansion pieces; I feel like the game is tighter without them.

The Ladybug and Mosquito are both very powerful and with them in play, many of the base pieces feel undervalued. Removing them suddenly saw the beetle, grasshopper and even the spider get a lot more attention. It felt like every piece mattered - in contrast with the expansions, where the spider in particular feels like a filler piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the mosquito and we still rarely play with it. I just don't like it very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Menzel
United States
Bainbridge Island
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the expansions make the game decidedly worse. With just the base game you're often in danger of running out of pieces, so you have to budget accordingly and really make the pieces that you've put out count. Also, the two pieces that can ignore the freedom-to-move rule have pretty severe movement restrictions, which means that the freedom-to-move rule has a huge impact on the game. With the expansions you have a glut of pieces, and *both* pieces can ignore freedom-to-move under the right circumstances. I think it ruins two of the most interesting aspects of the base game.

The best thing about having the expansions is that the extra hexes allow you to try out different variants without using a crappy piece of cardboard or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.