Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I watched the very nice set of walkthrough videos that Arcane Wonders made before reading the rules to Mage Wars, and one thing confused me. In the videos the warlock inflicted a burn status effect on one of the Beastmasters creatures. Then during the upkeep phases the Warlock rolled for the upkeep of the burn status effect. In reading the rules, specifically on page 11 in the example under Phase 4: Upkeep, it suggests that you may want to resolve your regeneration before resolving burn status effects to give your creatures a better chance of survival. this suggests to me that the owner of the creature that has the burn status effect rolls the upkeep for it and not the player that caused the burn status effect.

Which is correct?

Thanks ahead of time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Louzau
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That is correct. You would roll for the conditions on your creatures. You roll for Daze, Burn, etc. Not your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately this doesn't really affect things. I'm always reaching for the dice to roll but that is because I like to keep things moving. Though I can see how some people may have hangups on somebody rolling the dice when they technically aren't the ones who are supposed to roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wario83 wrote:
Ultimately this doesn't really affect things. I'm always reaching for the dice to roll but that is because I like to keep things moving. Though I can see how some people may have hangups on somebody rolling the dice when they technically aren't the ones who are supposed to roll.

In the example given it does matter as a timing issue. If I get to roll for the burns on my opponent then I defiantly want the burns to resolve first if they may kill the creature before that creatures regeneration ability gets resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
That example given doesn't use the initiative "tie-breaker" as you'd like. The controller of the Unicorn decides which order to resolve them. That does not count as a conflict of interest according to Mr. Pope. See the other threads regarding this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not looking to create this situation. This is the way it played out in the Walkthrough video.

I got my answer - do all upkeep on your own creatures not for effects you create that are attached to your opponents creatures.

This does matter as I have explained, but it seems to be going over everyone's head and it doesn't really matter because the situation in the video is not consistent with this ruling.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.