Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to My FLGS site and saw Path of Glory to a good price so I went to the store to get it, but it turns out its not in stock.

So do I go away, no instead I buy Lost Victory: Manstein At Kharkov, Winter 1943 so now I have yet another unplayed or hardlybplayed wargame and no real oponent, although I acctually got to play Mighty Endevaour recently but that I don't own

But still yet another wargame I have opponent (maybe this one is solitareable though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've bought yourself one of the best Kharkov wargames ever, just play solo, that's what I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, you must be my twin soul!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I only started reading the designer notes but what I read there spy ds promesing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Having already blown the budget this month I still had to physically restrain myself from buying another Napoleonic game. Fortunately I found out it is in a zip lock bag which helped to stop me.

It is an addiction, pure and simple. Just wish I was surrounded by a few more addicts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
As for my spelling, my iPad thinks it should autocorrect to Swedish and then I miss some words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
You've bought yourself one of the best Kharkov wargames ever, just play solo, that's what I did.

Interesting. I did not find that game so great. In fact I gave it away to a fellow gamer a few years ago.

Liked these two much better (same or similar topic, same publisher):

Ukraine '43

Von Manstein's Backhand Blow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are good too, but Lost Victory holds a special spot for me, it was the first GMT game I ever bought and it put them on the map for me. The production was pretty darn good at the time comparatively and the game was very good, I particularly like how the players can structure their turn in the order they want and the designer notes were very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed. Great designer's notes (in fact I kept a duplicate of the these). At least my copy found a good home.

Still, the map's hexes were a tad small. And I remember the game for being a bit overcomplicated, and the SNAFU rules add bit too much randomness and play time, too.

But quite a few good ideas in it.

Interestingly, some of this great game designer's games are amongst my all-time favorites (i.e: I own more than one copy):

The Battle of Austerlitz

Arctic Storm: The Russo-Finnish Winter War 1939-40

Cobra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
I went to My FLGS site and saw Path of Glory to a good price so I went to the store to get it, but it turns out its not in stock.

So do I go away, no instead I buy Lost Victory: Manstein At Kharkov, Winter 1943 so now I have yet another unplayed or hardlybplayed wargame and no real oponent, although I acctually got to play Mighty Endevaour recently but that I don't own

But still yet another wargame I have opponent (maybe this one is solitareable though)

Lost Victory: Manstein At Kharkov, Winter 1943: Manstein's operational brilliance and the extensive use of tanks in this campaign. The rules and the system are somewhat intricate and titanic in execution. But it's where the fun is! Plus, it is definitely more solitaire friendly than Paths of Glory as it doesn't use cards and a more detailed operational level study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you keep doing this? Because under the circumstances it's reasonable? Just guessing here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear I'm not alone.

(Great game by the way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto Fu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:

Yes, but when you do get an opponent to play you'll already have the games.
Just think how annoyed you'd be if you had an opponent but no games to play! In the mean time you can learn the rules and play solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You live in Stockholm, Virre. Per capita, one of the most wargamer densly populated cities in the world. Plenty of opponents to go around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why do I keep doing this..."

Because modern medicine has not kept up with our peculiar addiction and has yet to name it a "disorder?"

Because there are not yet any WBA (Wargame Buyers Anonymous) chapters?

So just have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
You live in Stockholm, Virre. Per capita, one of the most wargamer densly populated cities in the world. Plenty of opponents to go around!

Thats true, I meet two, but I doubt any of them is intrested in this game, well one of them maybe but I think he would like a go at The Mighy Endevaor as the Axis (and I certanly would like to try it as the Allies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.