Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What is the speediest monster game play-through you've ever played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In celebration of Calandale's recent 4 month completion of the solo epic that is Europa Universalis, what is the speediest complete campaign session of a monster game? (I mean to completion including setup, no first/second/third turn surrenders allowed, the game had to go the distance.)

My speediest play-through of a monster must be a complete solitaire game of Fire in the East with Scorched Earth that took 13 weeks to complete, I played 5 days a week for 6-8 hours a day to finish it. During the time I played this monster, I remember going through 2 girlfriend break-ups and had a sore back leaning over the table but I stayed true the game. The game went to the end of '43 with a Russian Victory, it all went fairly historically, the Germans never reaching Moscow and just butted their proverbial heads against Stalingrad to no avail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the time, SPI's Invasion: America was generally considered a "monster", and four of us played it over one weekend, but I don't think many would consider it a monster, these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
In celebration of Calandale's recent 4 month completion of the solo epic that is Europa Universalis, what is the speediest complete campaign session of a monster game? (I mean to completion including setup, no first/second/third turn surrenders allowed, the game had to go the distance.)

My speediest play-through of a monster must be a complete solitaire game of Fire in the East with Scorched Earth that took 13 weeks to complete, I played 5 days a week for 6-8 hours a day to finish it. During the time I played this monster, I remember going through 2 girlfriend break-ups and had a sore back leaning over the table but I stayed true the game. The game went to the end of '43 with a Russian Victory, it all went fairly historically, the Germans never reaching Moscow and just butted their proverbial heads against Stalingrad to no avail.

Wow! You should have done what we did. We had FitE/SE pinned up on a corkboard wall(Pin stuck through the stack of counters). Your back may not have hurt as bad, you wouldn't have to lean over as much. I think my quickest game was Operation Typhoon, it took two or three months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
WIF-Con, about six years ago. Kevin and I (Allies) were matched up against James and Tom, the Texas Tornados. We knew by reputation that they played FAST. And very well. We practiced being quick because we didn't want to lose on the clock.

Game set up on Friday night/Saturday morning and we started. By about 5:00 PM the following Friday we were completed - all the way thru to the last turn. We had time on Saturday to check out Lansing's game shops, play some lesser games, etc. Other groups played to the wee hours of Sunday morning and were only in 1943.

Quite a pace!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:

Wow! You should have done what we did. We had FitE/SE pinned up on a corkboard wall(Pin stuck through the stack of counters). Your back may not have hurt as bad, you wouldn't have to lean over as much. I think my quickest game was Operation Typhoon, it took two or three months.

Wow! A pin through the counters! Never ever have thought to do that! It would be like crucifying the messiah to my sensibilities. Now I know why some of my games have pin holes in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
To completion is the killer here (EiA in a week, and WiF over
a weekend didn't finish - but had we played by plan, I think both
were possible).

I think my Seven Days Campaign,
which I finished in 12 days, is probably the fastest I've
done. It was eating up my whole living room, so I was compelled
to crank on it. Plus, I was stoked, AND it only took four game
time days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parkin
United Kingdom
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

Wow, you, my friend, are an addict!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my fastest was the old Gary Grigsby DOS computer game Pacific War. Played over the internet with a navy buddy of mine in 4 months, playing about 4 hours a day on my end, and about 1 hour a day on his end. Have never played a game that intensively before or since.

But for cardboard wargames, I would love to someday play EiA or WiF in a single week. That would be amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

The Charlemagne scenario of Empires of the Middle Ages plays in an evening but also starts the full monster game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
whac3 wrote:

The Charlemagne scenario of Empires of the Middle Ages plays in an evening but also starts the full monster game.

Evening? Yes - but it's even shorter than that. Give it an hour or two.

Most of the rest take a good six+ hours, with full complement of
new players. The campaign takes a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a War in Europe that lasted a total of 4 sessions. Maybe 16 hours over the course of a month and a half..

The Germans tried a daring gambit and attacked Russia in Autumn, 1940. They also left Italy on their own in North Africa.

The result: Germans (or, at least what was left of them) in headlong retreat in Spring, 1942, never getting further than Rostov. And the Italians? Backed all the way to Tunis.

The Axis surrendered as the Americans were about to enter the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

My speediest play-through of a monster must be a complete solitaire game of Fire in the East with Scorched Earth that took 13 weeks to complete, I played 5 days a week for 6-8 hours a day to finish it. During the time I played this monster, I remember going through 2 girlfriend break-ups and had a sore back leaning over the table but I stayed true the game.

My advice is don't do it again then. laugh

I never complete a "Monster Game" as such in a speedy way. It is not supposed to be played that way. I am going through a Axis Empires: Dai Senso! game. Monster sure it is. But we take it through our virtual table in a relax weekly session. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j page
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Garfink wrote:
During the time I played this monster, I remember going through 2 girlfriend break-ups ....

And just how many did you have on the go? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hah! My solution's always been to force 'em to play
enough wargames that they know not to make demands on
me when I'm soloing. Otherwise, I'd dragoon them
into something big - all in the name of 'together time'. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:

... Monster sure it is. But we take it through our virtual table in a relax weekly session. cool

I DREAM of being able to play my favorite monster game in weekly sessions! Only got to play it that frequently for one year, and that was two decades ago...

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

... Monster sure it is. But we take it through our virtual table in a relax weekly session. :cool:

I DREAM of being able to play my favorite monster game in weekly sessions! Only got to play it that frequently for one year, and that was two decades ago...

:soblue:

Even with weekly sessions, I felt it was just too long a break between sessions.

We did EiA that way a couple of times, and lost players each time -
even I felt discouraged by the long waits. One of the many advantages
to soloing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to offer up my all-time favorite game which is SPI's Operation Typhoon. It's a three-mapper and it plays extremely fast. Calling it a big/dumb game is not a flattering way to put it, but I really like the overall footprint and scope of the game with fast game play and rules that are not all that complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

About 100 hours... maybe as few as 60 if you have your stuff together.

Damned NPCs take forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Neopeius wrote:
whac3 wrote:

About 100 hours... maybe as few as 60 if you have your stuff together.

Damned NPCs take forever. :)

But it plays quickly. :D

Are you using the rules from Moves for non-player empires?
I never got around to trying them (usually had 5 or 6 opposed);
but they looked like a royal pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
were possible).

time days.

I believe I've heard of it being completed in 5 less days before... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
calandale wrote:
were possible).

time days.

I believe I've heard of it being completed in 5 less days before... :whistle:

Not by me. You may be thinking the original design.
They had more players to handle the bookkeeping, and
took off from their day jobs to play straight through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
consimworld wrote:
I'd have to offer up my all-time favorite game which is SPI's Operation Typhoon. It's a three-mapper and it plays extremely fast. Calling it a big/dumb game is not a flattering way to put it, but I really like the overall footprint and scope of the game with fast game play and rules that are not all that complex.

That would be my fastest monster. I remember playing a four-player session over a long 3-day weekend. We "went the distance" and the Germans tried for encircling Moscow and enjoyed some unusually good weather, but could not pull it off. Soviets won, but just barely. It was a fun game (not all my experiences with this title turned out to be that close and that fun) and one of the reasons I loved that system ,if not necessary the game so much.

Sold both my copies as I like the GMT game so much better.

Am hoping to get in a campaign game of THE DEVIL'S CAULDRON to run about four days and I think it's doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.