Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Cheung
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now what qualifies as a maximum hand is up for debate, but many of the rules in the Chinese/Hong Kong/Japanese Riichi styles quite often agree on what patterns triggers the maximum limit (yakuman, in Riichi terms). There is also getting the maximum the hard way, which in almost all forms of Japanese Riichi mahjong is getting a total of 13 han or more.

In the last month alone, I made three Yakuman hands, all of them different.

Ever since about May 2011, which is when I joined Janryumon and Tenhou, I've made the following...

3 Suu Ankou (四暗刻, Four Concealed Triplets)
1 Suu Ankou Tanki (四暗刻単騎, Four Concealed Triplets waiting on the Pair)
2 Kokushi Musou (国士無双, 十三么, Thirteen Orphans)
3 Dai San Gen (大三元, Big Three Dragons)
1 Shou Suu Shi (小四喜, Little Four Winds)
1 Shou Suu Shi and Tsuu Ii Sou (小四喜 + 字一色, Little Four Winds and All Honors)
2 Ryuu Iisou (緑一色, All Green)
3 Kazoe Yakuman (数え役満, Counted Yakuman, Yakuman the Hard Way)

All but one of these hands were made at Janryumon, one of the all Green was made in Tenhou.

Quite Unsurprisingly, at least half of my made yakuman are from "the three big families of Yakuman" (役満御三家), them being the Suu Ankou, Kokushi Musou and Dai San Gen Yakuman, since these three are the easiest of the yakuman to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, none. Best for me so far is a dealer Baiman (24000 points). My wife has gotten a dealer Sanbaiman (32000 points). I'm still new enough that I'm not quite sure of all the Yakuman hands (Tenhou lists 10 or 11 of them as I recall). My best bet (until I really feel comfortable with the limit hands) will be a Kazoa Yakuman (a 'Counted Yakuman') whereby I end up with 13+ fan value in my hand.

I'm currently a lowly 5kyu on Tenhou (but enjoying the game!). My user ID there is DaveB

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://mahjong.wikidot.com/analysis:combinatorics
That's a chart I made a while back. The easiest limit hand is Thirteen Orphans, as you may have guessed. The most difficult by a huge margin isn't recognized in riichi, and that is four identical sequences.

Added: I've gotten a Thirteen Orphans in real life once, and on my phone twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of them. I reside in the domain of real world probability.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
66sixx
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I've played Mahjong on Janryumon and Tenhou. I've made more than a few yakuman in my time playing. I play mostly the 3-player versions since they go faster. I've made at least 2 counted yakuman, 2 kokushi musou, 2 daisangen, and a suuankou.

I've had plenty of other experiences with yakuman hands. I saw two from the same player in the same match.

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012022612gm-00d9-0000-x1b63a62513a...

There was also one hand on JRM where I lost a daisangen. The player to my right (we'll call him 'X') gave me the tile I needed to for my third set of sangenpai (dragons). The "pao" (cannon) rule would have applied had it not been for the player across from me (Y) beating me to the win and saving X from the full 48k payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mbmbmb
Kazoe Yakuman
Recently I got a kazoe yakuman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyuu B
msg tools
mbmb
I keep tabs of my stuff here:

http://arcturus.su/wiki/User:KyuuAA#Yakuman_count

Currently, my count is at 25, counting real tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of the World Series of Mahjong qualifier events this year (I forgot whether it was Vancouver or Manila), I observed a Thirteen Orphans hand. In previous years also, this hand occurred occasionally in qualifiers.

In the main Macau event, a Big Three Dragons hand was reported in the preliminary round.

I have never seen any 480-point hand ([Proper] Nine Gates, Four Kong, Four Identical Sequences) ever in any official WSoM event in all these years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.