Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Pretty simple question, I think: How complete are the rules for solo? Does the "factory setting" address solo play, or is this something grafted on that I'd need to chase down? Are the solo rules more or less identical to the group play?

Also... how much space does this normally take up during play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Pretty simple question, I think: How complete are the rules for solo? Does the "factory setting" address solo play, or is this something grafted on that I'd need to chase down? Are the solo rules more or less identical to the group play?

Also... how much space does this normally take up during play?

The rules are mostly the same as multi-player (except there's no pvp combat of course). The only addition is a dummy player deck that mostly acts as a timer limiting the amount of time you can spend during each round. Also, it gobbles up a few spells/special actions throughout the game.

Everything is included in the rules so once you get those down you're set. It does take up quite a bit of space but as long as you have a normal sized kitchen table or something of that sorts you won't have an troubles. I don't think I'd want to play MK on a standard square folding table though. That could get ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Solo play is built into the rules of the game. The rules are identical except for a few minor things that determine how many turns you get each day/night, what tactics cards are available each turn, and each round an action card and a spell disappear out of the game (one to the dummy's deck, one out of the game).

Quote:
It does take up quite a bit of space but as long as you have a normal sized kitchen table or something of that sorts you won't have an troubles. I don't think I'd want to play MK on a standard square folding table though. That could get ugly.

The standard layout takes up too much table space for a square folding table. I save a ton of room by combining all the decks to reduce table space. I combine basic and advanced units into one deck, drawing from top or bottom as necessary. I combine advanced actions and wounds into a single deck, drawing from top or bottom as necessary. And finally, I combine spells and artifacts into one deck, drawing from top or bottom as necessary. Having only three decks saves space for other things.

If you are really pressed for space, you can make combined or separate stacks for the advanced action, spell, and unit offers as well, rather than lay out all the cards across the table (9 at a minimum). Just be sure to keep the action and spell offers in the same order as you look through them. Doing this, I can get my table down to six stacks of cards (the three draw piles, and the three offer piles), which helps a lot. Or four stacks if I combine all the offers.

Getting rid of the day/night board saves additional space. Just make sure you keep it handy for reference on movement. You can't reduce the size of the fame/reputation board. You'll have to keep track of your score/reputation on paper to reduce the footprint there.

Lastly, I keep a paper bowl handy with all of the creature tokens in it. I just scan for the right color and draw. This not only saves space, but it saves setup time since you don't have to sort the tokens.

Doing all of the above makes the game very playable on a square folding table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël Rémondière
France
flag msg tools
badge
Bouh !
mbmbmbmbmb
I manage to play solo on a 80x120 cm coffee table.
I think it is just the limit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kalen wrote:
I manage to play solo on a 80x120 cm coffee table.
I think it is just the limit...

This would be a very cramped for me. To be comfortable, I would want about twice that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with this game, people are more likely to say that group play was grafted onto a solo game, rather than the other way around. :-)

The game plays great solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
I think with this game, people are more likely to say that group play was grafted onto a solo game, rather than the other way around. :-)

The game plays great solo.

Yeah, solo first is primarily what I'm looking for. I noticed one of the common complaints of the game is downtime between turns, so I'd imagine that wouldn't be a factor in solo-mode, unless my other personalities get some serious AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite solitaire game at the moment.

I've played it with others, but the game becomes its most enjoyable once you've taken the time to learn the rules and figure out the strategies, so unless you have people available willing to do that it probably actually works best as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eurek
Italy
Milano
ITA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, MK is by far the most fulfilling solo experience played on board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone!

Ok, this is probably a done deal then once I get some spare cash and time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and once you master solo play, you can play by forum so you can get all the rules right moving forward

This is a very satisfying solo game with lots of replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I just want to say what others have mentioned.....this is a great game solo. Rick Royal and Paul Grogan have both made some really nice videos of how to play this game and I feel should be essential watching for anyone curious on how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben v Gastel
Netherlands
Agelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quess you are already convinced by now.. but just to be sure; laugh

This is one of the best (solitaire) fantasy board games ever!

Everbody should give it a try..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what it looks like setup for solo on a 36"x42" ID tabletop:

Mage Knight is my favorite solo game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
Benvgastel wrote:
I quess you are already convinced by now.. but just to be sure; laugh

This is one of the best (solitaire) fantasy board games ever!

Everbody should give it a try..

My idea of Nirvana
Wifes gone out for the night, kids are tucked up in bed.
Mage knight vs Me
Any game that makes you talk to yourself |DONT YOU DARE DENY IT GUYS!!| is a winner in my books...
Solitaire its more than a game, its an old friend....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.