Hansa Teutonica» Forums » General

Subject: Is the Zman edition made in Germany? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looked through all the photos posted here but none of them show the back of the Zman edition box.

So, is the Zman version made in Germany, or did Zman print their own run in China, as they have with other games?

Reason I ask is that, even as great as HT is supposed to be, the wooden components are disappointingly just generic cubes and disks, and I would prefer not to spend $30+ on anything but the best cubes and disks!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about Zman, but at least the first printing from Argentum Verlag was done in Germany. Even so, the cubes tend to bleed their paint. The boards are top-notch, but the wooden bits were just average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the cubes aren't stained, sealed, and tumbled like most other German wood?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't appear so. Note that this is the Argentum Verlag printing from Germany (I don't want anyone to think that I'm talking about the Zman version.)

If you rub the cubes in your fingers, you'll get a faint ink stain on them. It's possible that I'm alone here as well. I have not checked with anyone else who has this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindsorrow wrote:

The superiority of German wood is most exaggerated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Argentum Verlag edition and never noticed any paint bleed. And that game has received a lot of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caadamec wrote:
blindsorrow wrote:

The superiority of German wood is most exaggerated.

You're right; American wood can be German wood's equal, you just don't see it often, especially these days. Just look at Scrabble's letter tile sets (which I think were made in the USA until recently), Settlers of Catan (still made in the States), and the pieces from Bottle Topps, for instance. Jackpot Yahtzee has wonderful custom wooden embossed dice from the USA. They're not as elaboratly shaped as some meeples, but the finishing is great.

But, for some reason, the Germans do exquisite wood parts, and even US toy companies have been using them for decades. For example, the in older versions of Boggle (70s and 80s), the cubes were made in Germany. Even the pawns from the People Magazine game (1984) and Inside Moves (1985) were made in Germany. Somehow, the German manufacturers had a knack for wooden components, and maybe (at a time) did it for less money, too.

I always notice the difference in quality, and if I'm spending $35 for a few sheets of cardboard and a bag of wood, the components better be of the best quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked my Z-man edition. Says "made in Germany". Haven't had any issues with any of the components. And the map is far superior to the original printing (and quite a nice map I'd add).

If "country of origin" isn't already a field in the game version entry, it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
If "country of origin" isn't already a field in the game version entry, it should be.

Yes it should
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine also says made in Germany. Components are very nice, so no worries there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, and thanks for the replies. Looks like I have no excuse not to pick up HT (aside for the 100 other games vying for my attention!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well perhaps this explains the terrible omission that I never thought Z-Man could possibly bear to have in one of their products.

I got this game yesterday, open up the box, see the nice counter sheets and the rulebook that is actually readable, and all is well. Then I get to the wooden components. They're all mixed into 1 bag, which is quite common as a game is originally packed. Well that's not a big deal. But here's what is:

There was no bag of bags.

I had that 1 bag for 5 player colors and the cardboard pieces. What, I'm supposed to just jumble up all the colors and sort them every time I play? Just let the bonus markers fly loose in the box?

I had to double check the front of the box... sure enough; a gigantic Z-man logo right in the lower left. I had never heard of one of their games not including this gem, this treasure. Its just one of those things that lets you know the world is still ok, you know? I open a Z-man box, there's a board, there's some cardboard pieces, and then there's the Bag of Bagsā„¢, calling to you. "Open me, fill me with cubes and discs of the same color. You know you want to" they say.

I was a little heartbroken, to be honest. My friends come over for our first play, and there we are sorting out colored cubes. I had no way to do it for them, no way to present the game in a perfect color coordinated spread. We played it twice and it was fantastic, but that's not the point here. When we were done we just put everything back into the 1 bag. The bag that didn't contain other bags. And we walked away, having enjoyed the game, but knowing we had a sort in our future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.