Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy glory to Rome, but one thing I find annoying is getting cards in and out from under the camps without messing anything up (*que exaggerated, infomercial style difficulty of task). So I made some feet to stand the camp boards slightly off the ground so that I could easily slide the cards under.

It cost a total of $3 worth of material and took about 15 minutes to complete. I bought a copy of 1313 dead end drive from a thrift store for $2 which came with 16 pawn stands. After determining that they did not squeeze the card board from the camps enough to hold tight, I super glued some padding to one side of each stand. This is the kind of padding that one would line a shelf with and I bought it at the dollar store for, you guessed it, $1. Know the feet stay on very well. You could even shake the camp board around in a fury of rage after your opponent wina the game with one of the hokey cards and they would stay attached.

Overall I am very happy with them. They slide on and off easily. I like that players can easily pic up the board to flip it over when learning the game and using the camps as a player aid without messing anything up. It also makes it easier to get your order car off of your camp after you have played it. They 1313 dead end drive game also came with more card stands so I use one for the leader card too. Next I plan to make a new insert out of foam board so it can hold sleeved cards nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Looks nice! A little high for me, though. I hear some people put down a few pennies before starting. My kickstarted Black Box came with nice little adhesive rubber dits I adhered to all the mats. Very, very useful.

Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Looks nice! A little high for me, though. I hear some people put down a few pennies before starting. My kickstarted Black Box came with nice little adhesive rubber dits I adhered to all the mats. Very, very useful.

Great work!

Pennies don't work when you've got 40+ materials in your stockpile. I just love the Wall. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever. I'll look at doing this when my KS arrives ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
looleypalooley wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Great work!

Pennies don't work when you've got 40+ materials in your stockpile. I just love the Wall. devil

You're assuming I ever have ... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was originally going to use some adhesive discs I bought, but I thought the stickiness might wear off after taking them on and off each game. I tried some small backgammon discs too, but everything slide around too easily. I am far happier with this than the other solutions I tried. It's not really very high, but it looks like it is with the close ups. And this way you don't have to worry about knocking stacks of pennies over. I am curious what the discs that came with the kickstarters looks like. I couldn't find one in the images. Do you have to take them on and off each time you play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that you have to take them off if you put them on smartly. If you put them in the same place on every camp, it won't work but if you offset them you might be able to fit everything back in the box.

Your solution is pretty simple and elegant. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll have to thrift a copy now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Nice job, looks good.

I much prefer using the mini-mat. Takes up less space and no sliding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw those mini mats today. They seem like a good alternative when playing with people who don't need the player aids written on the regular camp boards. I'll have to make a few. I still want to see the sticky peg things that came with the kick starter version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Okay, okay, I'll get a photo up in a second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:

Time to plant a rubber tree.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Those are very nice. They are very settle too. I wonder if they would sell that type of thing at a craft store? Thank you for sharing the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
dougadamsau wrote:

Time to plant a rubber tree.

B>

Funnily enough, my copy of Fleet is coming by air. You have to laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
PapaBear73 wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Those are very nice. They are very settle too. I wonder if they would sell that type of thing at a craft store? Thank you for sharing the image.

You can buy them from the same place CGF did:

topherr wrote:
topherr wrote:
Rodego wrote:
My complaint is that my copy only came with a reasonable amount of the player camp risers.

Ok, maybe I don't have a complaint but would you be able to tell me what an official product name is for those risers because I like them and would like to be able to buy some assuming the cost is reasonable.
I tried looking this up online and in my old email, but don't remember the company we used. I think it was in North Carolina, and all they make are small plastic bits. If you email kickstarter@cambridgegames.com, you'll probably a get a reply to your question, but not for a couple of weeks
Got it: Bumper Specialties Incorporated (in New Jersey, not North Carolina). http://www.bumperspecialties.com/home-en.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
They came in the goodies bag, along with the little badge I'll never use and the ugly-version expansion I gave away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Great work!

I don't find it too much trouble just to slip them under the "old" player mats.

I find that my VP and Clients keep sliding under the player mat where I can't see them. The player mat HELD the other items well.

As for the stockpile...Don't put them under the mat...You'll be pulling them out anyway...just stack them like a "solitaire" game columns...

And if you have 40, then just make one BIG STACK...you have all the material you need anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.