Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it allowed to move a military leader into an unnamed province? Specifically the one in question was the region north of Noricum. I have always played that it isn't allowed. But it came up in a recent game where one player had been taught that it was allowed...so as to not be cut-off (and have access to Germania Inferior).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
Is it allowed to move a military leader into an unnamed province? Specifically the one in question was the region north of Noricum. I have always played that it isn't allowed. But it came up in a recent game where one player had been taught that it was allowed...so as to not be cut-off (and have access to Germania Inferior).

No. The provinces take into account this "dead end" with the value they are worth.

However, you cannot be cut off. Your leader can move even if it is occupied by another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you cannot move into unnamed spots on the map, they don't exist for the purposes of the game. but you can also never be cutoff because there is no rule preventing you from entering a territory that already has a leader in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Yeah, by "cut off"...I meant the scenario in year 1 when 3 leaders move into spots claiming the closest tile. The leader in Noricum cannot get another tile with a single move until potentially year 2.

It became an discussion on interpretation of the words in the rules and how they apply to the regions on the board....which admittedly was a bit subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
Thanks. Yeah, by "cut off"...I meant the scenario in year 1 when 3 leaders move into spots claiming the closest tile. The leader in Noricum cannot get another tile with a single move until potentially year 2.

Again, that is why this province is worth 5 points if a legionnaire moves there as opposed to 3.

However, I still don't follow what you are saying that you can't get a single move again until year 2. For one thing, you can move him into another province (that is occupied) and again into one that is not to get another tile. then from that point, it can be single moves to get tiles.

Nothing special happens with the next season, unless you mean you stayed put and the leader "blocking" you moves off so that can be replenished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
Is it allowed to move a military leader into an unnamed province?

From the 2nd Edition of the rules:

Setup
"[...] place [...]: 10 forum tiles in the provinces (1 in each province) [...]"

Military action
"The player moves their leader to an adjacent province."

So no, it is not allowed to move a military leader into an unnamed province.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Double Dan wrote:

Again, that is why this province is worth 5 points if a legionnaire moves there as opposed to 3.

However, I still don't follow what you are saying that you can't get a single move again until year 2. For one thing, you can move him into another province (that is occupied) and again into one that is not to get another tile. then from that point, it can be single moves to get tiles.

Nothing special happens with the next season, unless you mean you stayed put and the leader "blocking" you moves off so that can be replenished.

In the scenario you can't get another tile with a single move until potentially year 2. And only in year 2 if the region to the west of Noricum gets replenished (as you wrote).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
In the scenario you can't get another tile with a single move until potentially year 2. And only in year 2 if the region to the west of Noricum gets replenished (as you wrote).

Yeah, but who cares? You have the ability to take the action multiple times in the same season. You can use the Extra Action tokens, especially if you have the +2 modifier to simply blitz through it. So even if it isn't a "single move" you can get a tile through a single action.

And your second season "reset" may never materialize. That player that "cut you off" can place a legionnaire there (preventing a new tile from getting placed) forcing you to move two spaces anyway. But that can happen anywhere on the provinces.

In a four player game, you can quickly get "cut off" in this manner as well. I just see your counter-point as a non-issue. It really has no bearing on the play of the game. And if you know this could be a potential issue, just don't go that way. Or on the flip side, calculate that the potential +2 points and the tile that happens to be there is much more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, as Luigi said, the unnamed area is not a province, and it's illegal to move there. So that player was playing incorrectly, as is so common.

Double Dan wrote:

You keep saying "until year 2" like it's some sort of limit, like it couldn't possibly happen in year one. Actions happen as often as you take them, years have nothing to do with it.

If you set up yourself right, you could easily get *three* more Military actions on your next turn in year one, move right past this "block" and grab 2 more tiles. So I really don't get why you're arguing this part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It came up because the player would rather move to that unnamed province and have access to Germania Inferior rather than move to the one province to the west. Neither region would get them a tile; so I could see why he *may* want to go north.

I do understand (and the other player did too) that it is possible to move twice in the same year and potentially beat the other players to a tile. That's why I mentioned "single move in year 1" in my original statement.

The strategy of moving one way or the other (unnamed province versus west) while interesting is not really the intent of the thread. But feel free to debate it.

Looks like we all agree that is is not allowed to move to an unnamed province. Thanks for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
The strategy of moving one way or the other (unnamed province versus west) while interesting is not really the intent of the thread. But feel free to debate it.

It wasn't meant as a debate as much as trying to fish out if something else was being played incorrectly. For me, I thought the emphasis you had on dead ends, only making single moves, and not getting a fresh tile until the next season as something that didn't jive with the basic concepts of the military action. I was trying to make sure you didn't think you were in fact limited in what you could do or that you were somehow blocked.

Quote:
Looks like we all agree that is is not allowed to move to an unnamed province. Thanks for the responses.

Yes, we all agree on this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.