Subject: ePawn Arena: some news about the project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've been asked to provide some news about our project (especially as Christmas is coming.. :-)

So, here are some updates:

The project is going well.

We've taken into account some remarks we've seen on the forum about the size of the product. 26" was considered to small. So we extended the beast to 32", for both versions, the ePawn Arena (the one with the screen) and the ScreenLess Arena.

Here is a very first view of the 32" prototype we've done recently (the app running on it has nothing to do with boardgames but this is the very first video we made in a hurry as soon as we had this big stuff working!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnacyE2iGuk

Second big information: we have had to change our business model and instead of making the product on our own, we'll license our technology to Consumer Electronics manufacturers and to games/toys manufacturers as well.

Making a product on our own means one thing: to raise a lot of money! Not that easy those days, then the change in our business model.

And as a consequence, we don't have complete control on schedules... But be patient, we have good contacts so far...

In case, you don't know ePawn yet, please have a look to our website, this is the future of boardgaming! :-)

www.epawnarena.com

Cheers,
ePawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.A. de Vries
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I know this post is quite old, but I am still hoping this project isn't dead.
So I wan't to give this thread a small bump..

I think it is obvious that I am really excited about this!!
And I can't wait to use one of these babies in my tabletop rpg sessions...

Which does lead me to wonder if you will support different rpg rulesets? And if so, which ones?

And what about the miniatures themselves? You say you want to license the technology to different manufacturers. So perhaps you can tell us if you've already started negatiations with some of them?
Paizo and Fantasy Flight Games come to mind...

It would, for example, be awesome if we could use the Paizo Pathfinder miniatures on the epawn arena.
Or the X-wing miniatures for our Star Wars (rpg and board)games.

Thanks in advance for anything you might want share with us!

Regards,
Darken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paladinfr Paladinfr
msg tools
The project is not dead at all.
They're going to show a prototype in laval (in France) this week end (i hope i could see it)
And they are a lot of new video on their site (like a epawn dice !).

They also say that there will be a kickstarter project soon.

I hope i could have it for my christmas 2013

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.A. de Vries
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladinfr wrote:
The project is not dead at all.

Yay!

Paladinfr wrote:

They're going to show a prototype in laval (in France) this week end (i hope i could see it)

Hmmm...could you post an update here if you did manage to see it?

Paladinfr wrote:

They also say that there will be a kickstarter project soon.

I hope i could have it for my christmas 2013

Oh, yeah! Count me in as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some news about our project.

We are currently looking at making the product live through Kickstarter. Hopefully we'll launch this by year end. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, some short videos about some test we did with RPG games and with Space Hulk because we just like this game:

SH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MdMmP_AxtM

RPG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mfLQNFbvUg

Best,
Christophe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.A. de Vries
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man! Awesome!
I can't wait for the Kickstarter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.A. de Vries
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news yet??
I am still anxiously waiting for the Kickstarter... :-))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Everyone,

We know that we haven't shared too much information during the past month.

Actually, we've been heavily working on improving the technology to make it as seamless as possible for gamers and as cheapest as possible.

As already stated in a previous post, we've changed our business model to technology licensing which means that we are working with companies which will make their own products with our object tracking solution.

This takes a loooooooong time but there will be some products on the market at some point. We can't share more than this for the time being.

To provide a bit more stuff, below are two links showing some applications we've developed just to demonstrate what we thing RPG and Tabletop gaming could look like when equipped with our technology.

One is using an ePawn screen, the other a screenless mat. Both are pretty cool, though... :-)

Cheers,
Chris.

RPG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTXML5fP4a8

Tabletop : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEB3eMgEDoM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hunter

Angola
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a project that I've been following for about a year now. I'm really excited about the possibilities of the ePawn Arena, not only from the board gaming side, but at the development side as well. Being able to interact with physical mediums (miniatures, tokens, or with dice) will definitely break the disconnect I have with digital games.

Keep up the great work and give us some more frequent updates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.A. de Vries
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris!

Thanks for the update!
Because of the holidays I didn't see this earlier...

Can you elaborate about why you chose to change your business model? I was kind of waiting for a kickstarter to buy an affordable large epawn screen...
And if I understand you correctly, that won't be happening...?

Perhaps you can give us a peek preview on which companies have taken a license?
I would imagine that companies like Mindgene (d20Pro) and Lone Wolf Development (Herolab, Realmworks) could be very interested in the Epawn!
I can see some awesome possibilities if those programs were optimised for the Epawn. Just as the D&D demo movie you've posted. Awesome!

I am still hoping that will become a reality sooner rather than later...

Well, thanks again and keep us posted!

Regards,
Darken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peterson
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also extremely interested in this!

My friend and I were actually brainstorming some cool ideas for gaming and thought of something very similar to what you're doing. I got really excited about it and started googling around to see if anyone else was a step ahead of me, and turns out you are! meeple

I can see so much obvious potential for immersive, unparalleled gaming experiences through use of this technology.

How are things going, and how could a college student in the US help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.A. de Vries
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates by any chance?
News and announcements are too scarce. I am beginning to fear that the Epawn will never become a mainstream succes....cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's rapidly becoming irrelevant. Mainstream manufacturers
are making ever-bigger and ever-flatter touch screens that can be
placed on a table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hunter

Angola
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like we have a kickstarter date finally for July 7th.

I am super excited to see how it works with turn-based RPG's and can't wait to get my hands on the SDK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hunter

Angola
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter for ePawn is now live at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1360711106/epawn-arena-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The original ePawn project was a potential Ferrari (the last D&D video is awesome). This new one (no screen, only mat with the bots) is an actual 1985 used Citroen.
Hope you didn't waste all the efforts made in the past

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
Acually, you still can have an interesting RPG experience

Even though the ePawn Arena now comes as a mat, it can still be a Digital Dungeon Master...

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8s_ZPjK_yM

The ePawn Team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't want to be rude, since I deeply respect people working hard and passionately - and I'm sure you belong to the category.
Nevertheless, I follow your progresses since the very first images of the original lcd screen in 2012, and I can't stop myself from feeling strongly disappointed by the way the project has changed.
The last video you kindly posted unfortunately is emblematic, especially when compared with the (wonderful) D&D Tribute you posted in 2014.
The new mat works in the exact opposite way it would be logical to expect - meaning, the way it works in the older video.
I'd like to watch a similar comparative video of Wings of Glory...

I'm quite convinced you decided this major change due to financial/commercial issues, I can understand that - still, the potential of the interactive screen is enormously bigger than the "mat and bots" one. IMHO, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tigelaar
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Here is a video of gameplay for Wings of Glory:

I am just a kickstarter backer who wants to see this project successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're referring to this video (already watched - in fact, it was the reason I decided to write here...)
https://youtu.be/-Ur-4vc5Gwk
Now imagine a touch-screen instead of the mat, remove the clumsy bots and think about the same demo with viable airplane trajectories shown dynamically on the screen as suggestions; dynamic airplane stats/altitude always available; public smoke/fire and private hit points (on the mobile device); animations for all skirmishes with dynamic audio and so on.
It's nothing different from what the "old" ePawn project promised to do (and in fact was able to do, looking at the D&D video and others).

...Don't misunderstand me: I hope the campaign will be backed (and it shows promising results, I see). In fact, it would probably be the only way to see the old (and much better/revolutionary) project coming back to life. Still hoping. Still disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.A. de Vries
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

Although I am thrilled to finally see some results here, I also can't help being a bit disappointed as well!
The screenless solution you've chosen will probably be far too fiddly to use for RPG's.
For as far as I can see it is impossible to use 1" pdf maps (for Pathfinder for example) with this mat.
Or is it?

But what you've shown us in this video is awesome (the links in the previous posts don't work):

And here : http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12/13/epawn-arena-interact...

So why didn't you stick with this??
We would REALLY like to see this kind of use, because we mainly play roleplaying games.

Can you clarify if you are still planning to produce the "RPG Epawn"?

Hoping for a confirmation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.