New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ballista

Starting positions

During play

This is Ballista played on an 8x8 board. White has won.

The ballista was an ancient Greek and Roman missile weapon, which launched a large projectile at a distant target.

Introduction

Ballista is an area enclosure, area control abstract game for 2 players: Black and White. It is played on the spaces of a 10x10 board. The board is divided by two red intersecting lines creating four 5 x 5 quadrants. You will also need a supply of black and white stones. The game starts out with 2 black and 2 white stones placed on the four marked squares on the board.

Play

Players decide who goes first then players alternate. On each turn players must perform two actions:

1)Move one of his stones “ballista” exactly like a queen in Chess, orthogonally or diagonally onto any empty space as long as the stone stays within the quadrant where the move initiated from.

2)Fire a “projectile” stone away in a straight line orthogonally or diagonally from the stone just moved, then placing the new stone onto any empty space within one of the other three remaining quadrants.

Note: A ballista or fired projectile stone may not jump over friend or enemy stones, also any friendly stones that were projectiles may now become a ballista.

In Ballista players also have the option on their turn to capture an enemy stone. Captures in Ballista are custodian, i.e., an enemy stone is captured when sandwiched between two friendly stones (orthogonal or diagonal). Captured stones are removed from the board.

The game ends when a player has no valid moves left, stones are then tallied. Captured stones are worth 2 points each and the rest are worth 1 point each. The player with the highest score wins.

Ballista is now in the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. But how does one differentiate between ballista stones and projectile stones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nate,

Good question and the answer is the stone that you move within one of the four quadrants is the ballista and the new stone you drop onto the board is the projectile.

Yet during the game that new projectile stone you dropped onto the board may now become a ballista.

A note on strategy:

At the start of the game you should concentrate on capturing and getting that definite point lead over your opponent, but as soon as you feel that you have that lead you should switch tactics and try to stop your opponent's movements, ending the game and securing the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reyalicea wrote:

Yet during the game that new projectile stone you dropped onto the board may now become a ballista.
AH! Okay, I missed that. That makes much more sense, now. So you can use a ballista to launch a projectile to a strategic location, and then turn that projectile into a ballista and move into tactically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
reyalicea wrote:

AH! Okay, I missed that. That makes much more sense, now. So you can use a ballista to launch a projectile to a strategic location, and then turn that projectile into a ballista and move into tactically.

Correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth DeCato

Clearfield
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in your rule number 1 you don't specify if the move can be split into orthogonal and diagonal directions.

for example I have a stone in top left and I move it down one and diagonal down and to the right 1. Therefore I could move the ballista anywhere inside the quadrant.

If that is the intended wording then I wonder why limit the movement to a quadrant.

Also when placing the first 2 stones on the board do you alternate placement or does one player just pick the 2 spots closest to him at the start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
in your rule number 1 you don't specify if the move can be split into orthogonal and diagonal directions.

for example I have a stone in top left and I move it down one and diagonal down and to the right 1. Therefore I could move the ballista anywhere inside the quadrant.

If that is the intended wording then I wonder why limit the movement to a quadrant.

Hi Seth it says clearly how it should move

1)Move one of his stones “ballista”exactly like a queen in Chess, orthogonally or diagonally onto any empty space as long as the stone stays within the quadrant where the move initiated from.

In Chess you cannot split a queens move, it would be illegal as it would be in Ballista

Quote:
Quote:
Also when placing the first 2 stones on the board do you alternate placement or does one player just pick the 2 spots closest to him at the start?

I've added another drawing at the beginning of this thread showing placement at start.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so it is impossible to capture an stone in one of the corners of the map?and you can get a piece there on e very first turn, that sounds limiting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
munio wrote:
so it is impossible to capture an stone in one of the corners of the map?and you can get a piece there on e very first turn, that sounds limiting?

Hi MJ,

I'm glad you mentioned that, I was going to add corner captures to the rules but haven't had the time to do so. But yes corner captures are legal.

I've added the rule to my blog and will update the PDF file on the Ballista page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One last note on capture, the Ko rule in the game GO is utilized.

This rule reads as follows: One may not play in such a way as to recreate the board position following one's previous move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.