Popular Tags: [View All]
JB Hunt
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Descent a handful of times. Every time I've played as the Overlord. Here's a few tips to pass on that will hopefully allow you to crush the heroes...

1) Beware weapon & skill special abilities. Blast, command, and sorcery can devestate your monster horde. Even if none of the heroes have the blast ability I've found that it's best to hold back with the spawn cards unless you have manuevering space. If the monsters can't reach the heroes they're worthless anyway. Also spreading your forces out can help counteract the command skill. If the heroes are more than 3 spaces from the Command hero your odds of survival increase.

2) Build up threat for Power Cards. Resist the temptation to immeadiately use your threat at the game start. Pace yourself. Remember that the good power cards cost extra threat (15+) and they will be more help when you need them. Evil Genius seems to be a must, the card gives you more options by giving you the extra card AND and easy way to gain more threat tokens. The first game I played I sacrificed a lot to gain this power early in the session. Unfortunately you can't always count on gaining it immeadiately. (My second game it was the very last card in the Overlord deck)

3) Spilt the party and pick them off. I used traps to create rubble and pit traps to split hero parties making it easier to pick them off. This method didn't stop the heroes, but it made it a closer game.

4) Don't get frustrated if the heroes jump into the lead. It's normal. Both games I've played it looked like the heroes were having a cakewalk, but each game ended up being a nail biter. Just hack away at those conquest tokens.

5) I've read this one in other forums and it's true. Attack weaker melee heroes and hit the tanks with traps. It works well, so do it!

6) Spawns are good. Obviously. They impede heroes progress and slow them down allowing you to build strength

--Beastmen are a staple for melee attacks, Skeleton warriors and sorcerors are your ranged lifeline. The problem you encounter as the heroes grow in power is the lack of longevity of your monster hordes. I've found it useful to spawn beastmen as close as possible. Don't spawn them in if you can't reach the heroes in that same move or else there is a good chance you'll never use them. Hide from line of sight until you can strike with them as well. Beastman are MOST effective when you spawn and attack at once. With a little bit of luck and some good timing you can take out one or two heroes in one spawn.

--The ranged spawns are great too. Yes I'll admit Skeleton warriors are incredibly weak when it comes to defense, so play up their strengths. Take shots EVERY turn with them, and attack those heroes with weak defense. Skeletons aren't power houses, but they help pick away at health and distract heroes from focusing all their strength against your power monsters.

--Sorcerors are great. They have the range AND the damage which of course makes these monsters a prime target for death dealt from the heros. I try to use this spawns the same as Beastmen, hittin hard and fast because they'll disappear quick. Unless you've got a master and are good with the "undying" roll.

--I've not really been sucessful with spiders and hell hounds. Web is nice, but only master spiders aquire it, and it doesn't prevent ranged attacks. Poison is alright too. Unfortunately spider never seem to last long. They are easy, large targets that are hard to hide from line of sight. Hell hounds have breath, but the damage they deal hardly seems worth spwaning them. Any advise here would be appreciated.

7) Always attack even if you know you'll miss. These "useless" attacks are a prime way to gain threat tokens. The more you roll the better the odds are that you'll end up with surges that give you threat. Don't waste these opportunities to gain valuable threat.

8) Use line of sight to your advantage. If a ranged powerhouse can't see you then it forces a move preventing further attacks. I've found this to be one of the most useful ways of limiting heroes attacks and increasing the longevity of spawned monsters. Don't shy away from closing doors to keep your monsters alive. This is especially useful when you have several ranged monster with one melee. The range monsters can attack and move behind the door and the melee can shut the door.

If anyone has other Overlord tips, I'd love to see them. I hope you find this useful. Happy hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might be going to right way and it might be a good idea to write a strategy guide for the OL, but you do not expand on or reason your conclusions. Then there is no way a hero can gain the blast ability except by use of magic items. The abilities gained are: command, auro and sorcery for magic, look itup in your box.
So what power cards should I safe up? care to tell that? I prefer the evil genius... It gives you more thread, allows you to draw those vital powercards that are good much faster and in standard play it gives you one extra run through the OL deck. That alone gives you 3 extra conquest.
Then about attacking the tanks... work your way with spiked pits and crushing block because they give them lots of trouble with their low movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB Hunt
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input I'm making adjustments to it as I get more feedback. After I've played more I think I'll be able to add further tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have only played as overlord once or twice... going for a quick evil genius seems to work. But I think horde of things slows the heroes down very much aswell.
Also you were right about the devastating power of blast items... this is why:
1. it kills a lot of monsters with one single shot
2. it can attack monsters normally outside LoS or blocked by others.
3. it can attack SQUAREs making it even easier to shoot around the corner or making an optimized attack.

Good work about updating the discussion... you are definately getting a higher grade now .

Also I do not think the Auro ability is very interesting for the heroes, one damage isn't going to kill much monsters and most die in a single attack anyways.

Also about the trap cards... the rubble card is also very nice because it gives the OL a nice place to spawn monsters, or give the heroes trouble with LoS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also one more tip:

read pistoolkips monster analysis and keep in mind those spawncards all in all the banespiders and razorwingflock are rather useless compared to BWP, SC and sometimes the SP and HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Moutinho
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
re: hellhounds.

There's a decent combo for hellhounds before they inevitably get taken out. When the heroes are grouped, play a Gust of Wind Card (name?) - which limts line of sight to 5 hexes - followed by a hellhound card. On the same turn all hellounds can move in for a breath attack, and with thier pierce ability, the attack on one turn can be quite devestating on a close-knit group.

They probably won't survive another round though, so if you also spawn a few skeletons around them, they help dwindle down the damage and hopefuly distract the heroes into a mis-prioritized attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.