Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Archived Memories: To Reveal or Not To Reveal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
When the corp plays archived memories to take a face-up card from archives, they are not specifically directed to reveal the card to the runner. The fact that face-up archives is public knowledge (and can be looked at anytime), is what causes this issue.

The corp not revealing what card they take could lead to slowing the game down considerably. The runner has the right to look at archives before they take a card, make a list, and then compare it to see what's missing (and look like a complete douche in the process). I think this could be sped up by a house-rule (or an eventual official rule) that if the runner asks what was taken, the corp just tells them which card they took or says, "face-down card."

I know that this topic has been brought up in the past, but no consensus was reached, so I would like to revisit the issue. How does your Netrunner group handle it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syncitia wrote:
When the corp plays archived memories to take a face-up card from archives, they are not specifically directed to reveal the card to the runner. The fact that face-up archives is public knowledge (and can be looked at anytime), is what causes this issue.

The corp not revealing what card they take could lead to slowing the game down considerably. The runner has the right to look at archives before they take a card, make a list, and then compare it to see what's missing (and look like a complete douche in the process). I think this could be sped up by a house-rule (or an eventual official rule) that if the runner asks what was taken, the corp just tells them which card they took or says, "face-down card."

I know that this topic has been brought up in the past, but no consensus was reached, so I would like to revisit the issue. How does your Netrunner group handle it?

The Runner could look at the archives before and after the card pull and figure it out.

If you pull back a visible card, the Runner should know it.

If you pull back a face down card, that's all they get to know.

Trust me, I *want* the Runner to know I pulled back a Snare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, the Corp should tell the Runner either "I took X into HQ" or "I took a facedown card into HQ"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
I just reveal the card. It's probably not strictly required, but I'd just as soon avoid the hassle you mentioned. Plus, if I'm retrieving a card with Archived Memories, it's usually because I want to play that card in the immediate future. So, it doesn't really matter if I disclose the identity of an operation, since I'm just going to spend my next action to play that card.

With ICE/assets/agendas, revealing the card can actually work to your advantage. Fetch a piece of ICE, then plop down a DIFFERENT piece and see if you can surprise the Runner.

So, revealing the card works best for me. It usually speeds the game along without putting me at a significant disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Face-up archives is public knowledge, even as the corporation is digging through it. Until the corp has actually removed the card from archives, the runner is allowed to have a clear view of it if they so choose. There is no need for the corp to reveal a card taken from face-up archives, because the runner is allowed to have full knowledge of what that card is at the point of its removal from archives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
hollis wrote:
Face-up archives is public knowledge, even as the corporation is digging through it. Up until the when corp has actually removed the card from archives, the runner is allowed to have a clear view of it if they so choose. There is no need for the corp to reveal a card taken from face-up archives, because the runner is allowed to have full knowledge of what that card is at the point of its removal from archives.

I like this answer best. It's a different way of looking at the situation and I'll definitely describe it this way from now on. It effectively sidesteps all problems (including the corp having the opportunity to lie about what they took).

Thanks everyone for their input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orange Devil
msg tools
hollis wrote:
Face-up archives is public knowledge, even as the corporation is digging through it. Until the corp has actually removed the card from archives, the runner is allowed to have a clear view of it if they so choose. There is no need for the corp to reveal a card taken from face-up archives, because the runner is allowed to have full knowledge of what that card is at the point of its removal from archives.

This is exactly why I show it to the runner if taken from face up. There could be 20 cards in there and I'd be sifting through it and taking a card into my HQ on my side of the table, it's not that hard to imagine the runner not having a clear view. It's public information, so they should know and it shouldn't depend on their being able to see clearly crosstable at me finicking with cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.