United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Would a sweet old timey blackbeard pirate totally wreck the thematic feel and immersion of Fleet or would it be fun?
Shiver me timbers, sounds fun!
Yes, this is horrible, this idea
      45 answers
Poll created by riddlen

So, Ben and I, while working on other projects, are always working on Fleet cards for a possible expansion. We would love if Gryphon wanted to do an expansion (fingers crossed), but even if not it is fun for us and we could always post them here.

One idea we had totally works as a Pirate Ship! I will not get into mechanics at this point, but I was curious what everyone thought now that many of you have had a chance to dive into a bit of Fleet.

Ben and I worked very hard to make Fleet thematic and would never want to mess with that, but the card works SO well as a Pirate "license" and Pirate Ships. We have a few other ideas for the theme of the card that make sense as well and we will very likely pursue those, but again, just wondering what everyone thought about Pirates Ships floating around Ridback Bay!

Also, old timey pirates are awesome and cool:

Modern Pirates.... sad:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I work in the marine industry here in Seattle and I talk to fisherman in
Alaska every day. I can't remember anyone up there complaining about them Sitka pirates. I bought the game because of the theme.

I'd rather you spend your energy on making this a new game rather than an expansion to Fleet. I love me some pirates, but I don't think they fit with Fleet. Make a good Pirate game though and you'll get a ton of happy geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, incase its not clear, I am being facetious . Ben and I are not going to put Pirates in Fleet. We ARE working on expansion cards, its just a fun topic to discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverbuy wrote:
Don't scare me like that man.

lol, no worries. I was just watching the Tigers games and wanted to post in the forums. I was hoping the pictures and the office space quote would make that clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlA9bNk3b5Q
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Pirates? no. Angry Rival Fisherman? perhaps. Scooby-Doo-style costumed yeti? Definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
BTW, incase its not clear, I am being facetious . Ben and I are not going to put Pirates in Fleet. We ARE working on expansion cards, its just a fun topic to discuss.

Was this some sort of 10/11/12 thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasseur d'Ours
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personnaly, I'll prefer something like event cards, polution, weather, quota (nature preservation), fish-market, special demand for 2 shrimp, .....? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote a paticular pirate:

'I am disinclined to acquiese with your request.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A thematic hazard, that would actually fit the theme, could be the threat of attack from Greenpeace/Enviroentalist agents using zodiac boats, citing complaints of over-fishing in an otherwise pristine nature preserve.

Failing that, I like the ideas suggested by Chasseur d'Ours (further up the thread). Event cards could be cool (perhaps as an interrupt reaction to another player?).

A fish market where certain types of crates/fish could be sold based on a fluctuating dollar figure? — what if a die roll allowed players to determine exchange rates on X type of seafood for Y number of rounds? This could urge players to shift their strategies on what type of boats to launch in order to capitalize on whatever type of "catch" is most lucrative at the moment.

More ideas plz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
I would like to be able to launch a whale boat and catch whales. Please could you produce such an expansion for me. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirates are cool, but why not be original... Ninja Pirates! Finally the debate of which is cooler can be laid to rest!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
getlouder wrote:
Pirates are cool, but why not be original... Ninja Pirates! Finally the debate of which is cooler can be laid to rest!!

Wait, can they be Ninja ZOMBIE pirates!!??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm....

What about a Giant Squid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about adding sharks with frickin 'lasers' on their heads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Withnails liver wrote:
How about adding sharks with frickin 'lasers' on their heads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.