Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a result of the EU being given the Nobel peace prize I have a question.

Who (or what) do you think is the most undeserving recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (and of course why)?

My Vote goes to Barrak Obama, a man given the prize before actually doing anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Who (or what) do you think is the most undeserving recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (and of course why)?

My Vote goes to Barrak Obama, a man given the prize before actually doing anything at all.

I'm not sure I agree, but I'd definitely put him in the top 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I'm not sure I agree, but I'd definitely put him in the top 3.

So who are your top 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I have the time to go through and study up on all of them, but here are some likely candidates:

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) , Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr.
European Union (EU)
Barack H. Obama
Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin
Henry A. Kissinger, Le Duc Tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Not sure I have the time to go through and study up on all of them, but here are some likely candidates:

European Union (EU)
Barack H. Obama

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

European Union (EU)
Barack H. Obama

Why?

I'll let somebody else argue about that. I'm pretty sure any one of the ones I've listed would have significant vocal support in RSP as being undeserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Oh, for crying out loud, could you at least spell his name correctly??? What is with your spelling errors???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

European Union (EU)
Barack H. Obama

Why?

I'll let somebody else argue about that. I'm pretty sure any one of the ones I've listed would have significant vocal support in RSP as being undeserved.

The IPCC I can see (what has climate change got to do with peace). The others I think I may know why (with the exception of the EU, it has promoted and kept the peace (far better then any other international body, and much better then the likes of Frank Billings Kellogg).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Oh, for crying out loud, could you at least spell his name correctly??? What is with your spelling errors???

Well that’s my point rebutted. Of course the fact I misspelled his name makes him more then a deserving winner of the Nobel peace prize, and no doubt the awarding committee took that into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me a bleeding heart hippy, but when a once violent man turns around and converts his energy's to pursuing peace, I think that is admirable and laudable thing. Examples: Rabin and Mandela.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just asking for you to spell his name correctly. I don't think that's a lot to ask. Listen - you're already known for being a poor speller. I am trying to help you. Please - I can understand the odd mistake like misusing "then" instead of "than" like you did in your previous post, but we're talking about a major political figure here. What's next? Gahandi? The Dalay Llama? Margaret Titcher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
Call me a bleeding heart hippy, but when a once violent man turns around and converts his energy's to pursuing peace, I think that is admirable and laudable thing. Examples: Rabin and Mandela.

And Arafat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:

You hippy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I'm just asking for you to spell his name correctly. I don't think that's a lot to ask. Listen - you're already known for being a poor speller. I am trying to help you. Please - I can understand the odd mistake like misusing "then" instead of "than" like you did in your previous post, but we're talking about a major political figure here. What's next? Gahandi? The Dalay Llama? Margaret Titcher?

Sorry but your tone does not imply an attempt to help by offering constructive criticism. It implies an insulting and belittling attitude; it implies that my point is invalided because I spelt his name wrong. If that is not the case then I apologise and you should pick your words more carefully, so as to avoid such confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:

This is stevenslater's "thing". View him as a latter-day GROGnads, and everything becomes much simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Venga2 wrote:

And Arafat?
His involvement, until his death, with the less than laudable practices of Fatah make him less admirable. And I am not talking terrorism, but rather the endemic corruption, nepotence and abuse of his own people for which he cannot be fully excused. Sure he had a more difficult beast to deal with than did Rabin, but from my casual observation I fail to see genuine effort at improvement in that specific regard. That he was genuine in his efforts for peace with Israel* however, is laudable.

* again, as far as I can see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Venga2 wrote:

And Arafat?
His involvement, until his death, with the less than laudable practices of Fatah make him less admirable. And I am not talking terrorism, but rather the endemic corruption, nepotence and abuse of his own people for which he cannot be fully excused. Sure he had a more difficult beast to deal with than did Rabin, but from my casual observation I fail to see genuine effort at improvement in that specific regard. That he was genuine in his efforts for peace with Israel however, is laudable.

It's the Nobel peace prize, thus I would argue he should be judged based on his efforts to reach peace with Israel, Mandela hardly tackled the corruption and legacy of apartheid did he? Indeed in many ways Mandela was weak and ineffectual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

European Union (EU)
Barack H. Obama

Why?

The IPCC I can see (what has climate change got to do with peace). The others I think I may know why (with the exception of the EU, it has promoted and kept the peace (far better then any other international body, and much better then the likes of Frank Billings Kellogg).

Climate change has quite a bit to do with peace. Civil unrest and war are well-known consequences of loss of resources. Just ask the US Department of Defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on this study I expect you will be able to add my name to the list of undeserving Nobel winners any day now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the Nobel museum in Oslo the other day and I found it a little chilling how many of the Nobel Peace Laureates were pretty inappropriate. For a starting list biased towards those I know a minimum about:

Woodrow Wilson
UNICEF
Menachem Begin
Henry Kissenger
Yaser Arafat
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

European Union (EU)
Barack H. Obama

Why?

Climate change has quite a bit to do with peace. Civil unrest and war are well-known consequences of loss of resources. Just ask the US Department of Defense.

But it's not directly related to peace any more then famine relief is. As I see it the prize should be given for striving towards peace, not having peace as a by product of wider social justice (for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Barack Obama, and I voted for the guy so I'm not some partisan against him. It didn't make sense then and it really doesn't make sense now as he has actually been a pretty strong force for warmongering during his term. I don't know the history of the prize so it's hard for me to compare to other possible unworthies but it's hard to see how they could be worse choices than Obama. From what others have listed Al Gore sounds like a pretty lame choice but at least he has not been actively pursuing war efforts like Obama. And the EU is an awkward choice since again it seems like a choice based more on wanting to boost EU morale than because the EU particularly deserves it this year. That said the EU is at least a force for peace. Who could imagine a major war in Europe since WWII? Before WWII Europeans tended to fight each other all the damn time. Presumably, the EU has been helpful to that, although one might be able to argue that the EU is more an effect of peaceful attitudes among European nations than a cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
futhee wrote:

This is stevenslater's "thing". View him as a latter-day GROGnads, and everything becomes much simpler.

Go big or go home. GROGnads as much as I detest his posting style, still keeps his words spelled correctly.

slatersteven on the other hand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
futhee wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Well that’s my point rebutted. Of course the fact I misspelled his name makes him more then a deserving winner of the Nobel peace prize, and no doubt the awarding committee took that into account.

You do know he didn't ask for the prize don't you? His receiving an ill-thought out prize isn't a reflection on him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know since the prize is given to the person or agency who most promotes peace in the world, maybe the poor quality of some of the candidates reflects poorly on the world and not the Nobel committee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.