Figo 3434
msg tools
O Elbereth:
Secrecy 4.
Response: After an enemy attacks you, put that enemy on the bottom of the encounter deck. If your threat is lower than that enemy's engagement cost, set your threat equal to the engagement cost of that enemy.

Witchking:
Players cannot play attachments on The Witch-king.
While The Witch-king is in the staging area, each character gets -1 Willpower.
Forced: After The Witch-king attacks, he returns to the staging area unless the defending player raises his threat by 3.

If I play "O Elbereth" after WK attacks (that is, after dealing him a shadow card, but before resolving the attack) and want to put him on the bottom of the deck, does his "forced"-effect trigger, meaning I have to raise my threat by 3 to prevent him from returning to the staging area?
I guess so because both happen at the same time, and forced effects trigger before responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
If I play "O Elbereth" after WK attacks (that is, after dealing him a shadow card, but before resolving the attack)

"After an enemy attacks" means after the full attack has resolved. From the FAQ:
Quote:
Q: When do “after this enemy attacks” Forced effects like those on Chieftan Ufthak (CORE 90) and Wargs (CORE 85) resolve?
A: These effects resolve immediately after step 4 of enemy attack resolution.

Figo3434 wrote:
and want to put him on the bottom of the deck, does his "forced"-effect trigger, meaning I have to raise my threat by 3 to prevent him from returning to the staging area?
I guess so because both happen at the same time, and forced effects trigger before responses.

I don't think you need to. There is nothing in OEG's text that says the enemy must be engaged with you, only that it attacked you, so I think you can let it go back to the staging area and still put it on the bottom of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen Koller
Australia
Cherrybrook
NSW
flag msg tools
Great Underground Empire
badge
Explorer
mbmbmbmbmb
Forced effects are always resolved before responses (see 1.09 in FAQ 1.3). Therefore, after the Witch King attacks (ie. all four steps performed in the attack sequence as mentioned by the previous contributor) you resolve the forced effect then the response effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.