Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello, fellow geeks!

I'm planning on getting BattleCON: War of Indines soon. I love the idea of having a bunch of characters to try out that play differently. I think it adds tons of re-playability, plus that sense of tournament play between friends, like old school fighting games.

So, what other good games have this? Games with lots of factions to choose from work as well. Any upcoming game like this?

I already have Flash Duel: Second Edition which is a fun little game which meet these requirements and know about the other titles from Sirlin Games.

So, do your best, boardgamegeek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is the first thing that came to mind (and you can quick start the experience with the Summoner Wars: Master Set).

EDIT: Empires of the Void also has a good number of factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
Summoner Wars is the first thing that came to mind (and you can quick start the experience with the Summoner Wars: Master Set).

EDIT: Empires of the Void also has a good number of factions.

Definitely interested in Summoner Wars! Looks great.

I have to look more into Empires of the Void.

Oh and I also recently received Blue Moon with a few Peoples decks, but I still haven't had a chance to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm is a cooperative game with many different characters: the base game has eight of them but with promos and expansions you can have as many as 21.

Small World and Small World Underground have many different playable races, each of whom comes with special powers and abilities: not only are both game quite compatible with each other but you can add half a score more races with the expansions.

Moreover, most of the thematic games come with many different characters and/or factions, each of whom with different powers.

And they grant lots of fun as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter has a ton of different races
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter has plenty of races which break the rules all in different ways.

Edit: arrived late
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars
+1 Cosmic Encounter

If you don't mind something on the wargame side, Manoeuvre comes with 8 armies and the forthcoming expansion will add four more. There is a fantasy version in the works, Fury of Harrows, but it's not going to be out for some time, so might as well play other stuff for now. One advantage it will have over something like SW is terrain plays a bigger part in the game. SW is mostly dealing with just the walls. Between the two, I would play SW because it's just fun as hell for me, but I'm drawn to adding the terrain factor in a game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Park
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wasn't Smash Up mentioned? :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and Heroes has statistics for about 300 creatures in the rule book, and it is very easy to make more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror has a decent number of investigators.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)doesn't have a bunch of characters but they have 2 diff roles for each class + if you by the conversion kit you have plenty more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B M
United States
Redford Charter Twp
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah pretty much anything thematic will probably fit the bill.

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) would be what I suggest. With the expansions you have 17 different factions and they all play pretty different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah. Just read the OP's post again, so I removed my recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic encounter, twilight imperium 3, and dune!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. The OP isn't asking for multiple characters/factions, but for multiple characters/factions that play differently.

I think Twilight Imperium barely meets this criteria. Arkham Horror doesn't meet it at all. There are lots of characters and they are all different in small ways with minor differences in stats and an occasional ability, but the fundemental gameplay and strategy is still the same. You could take any random character and play the same way. You just can't do that In BattleCON. You sort of can't do that in Twilight either -- certain races will just dramatically shift your strategies and/or priorities.

Battlestar Galactica has lots of different characters that offer interesting twists, but none that play dramatically differently. It's not like you'll lose because you didn't have enough experience on how to play that particular character.

One game comes to mind that I can recommend to the OP: The Ares Project. It's only got four factions, but each of them plays VERY differently. Each faction even has its own exclusive faction-rulebook. Mastering one of the factions doesn't guarantee you'll be any good at playing any of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but I think that Android might be what you are looking for. Better check in its own forum before you purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hoon
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
51st State and its expansion The New Era (which can also be played standalone) has different factions that have a different play style / strategy and its latest expansion Winter (available at Essen 2012) adds a sixth faction (thereby making it 2 - 6 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Heh. The OP isn't asking for multiple characters/factions, but for multiple characters/factions that play differently.

I think Twilight Imperium barely meets this criteria. Arkham Horror doesn't meet it at all. There are lots of characters and they are all different in small ways with minor differences in stats and an occasional ability, but the fundemental gameplay and strategy is still the same. You could take any random character and play the same way. You just can't do that In BattleCON. You sort of can't do that in Twilight either -- certain races will just dramatically shift your strategies and/or priorities.

Battlestar Galactica has lots of different characters that offer interesting twists, but none that play dramatically differently. It's not like you'll lose because you didn't have enough experience on how to play that particular character.

One game comes to mind that I can recommend to the OP: The Ares Project. It's only got four factions, but each of them plays VERY differently. Each faction even has its own exclusive faction-rulebook. Mastering one of the factions doesn't guarantee you'll be any good at playing any of the others.

Since he said Flash Duel meets his criteria, I think the above games are appropriate recommendations actually. Most games characters/factions aren't as differentiated as BattleCON while offering that level of variety, so to compare all asymmetric games to that standard is a bit much

Interesting note about Ares Project though, need to try that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 is probably worth a look too. It was one of the games people kept comparing Summoner Wars to when it came out. They're also different enough that I don't mind having both.

If you want to go the collectible or miniatures route, I've heard good things about A Game of Thrones: The Card Game and Warmachine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely chime in on the Cosmic Encounter. Plus the expansions are fairly cost effective and add many new factions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weilong Seow
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World probably counts as well. I saw someone mention Dune, but there's also Rex: Final Days of an Empire which is the remake of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse

All the heroes work differently, and can really alter gameplay.

+1 for Cosmic Encounter and Defenders of the Realm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is Blue Moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Ares Project sounds like a great bet. Will have to check that one out. Are there any more factions planned?

Sentinels definitely sounds perfect.

Games like TI3 are a little beyond my gamer skills and my group, although one day I would love to play it.

Anyways thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.