Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is another game that is incredibly easy for new players to pick-up and play. At the start of each game, players are given a number of destination tickets (cards) and must choose to keep at least a set number of them, telling them the cities they must connect together using their coloured train pieces. In essence, the game boils down to connecting the dots with a coloured line. Players begin drawing coloured train cards, then play a set of cards that match the number and colour of the line they would like to place their train on. There is also an element of strategy since there are only one to two lines that connect one point to another, so you'll need to plan your routes ahead of time, and change your stragies on the fly if someone takes a route blocking your original path. The goal is to score the most points, done by completing destination tickets and building trains as long as possible. At any point, players can draw other destination tickets in an attempt to collect more points, but holding incomplete destination tickets at the end of the game ends up costing you points instead.

The game is very simple and takes only a couple of minutes for new players to get up to speed, making it a great family game or quick warm-up game for a board game marathon. We've also used this as a gateway game in my board gaming group to introduce people to European-style board games that keep everyone playing until the very end.

The board and trains themselves are very durable and have a nice style. The only real complaint about what's in the box are the cards themselves which are really small and can be hard to handle so I'd recommend getting the USA 1910 expansion at the same time which has larger versions of the cards that come with the base game. I can't imagine trying to play the game without them. The expansion also includes a handful of new destination tickets and a few rule variations to add a little more variety to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.