Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing this be pre-sold with and without the encounter book. How does one play without the book? Is there a digital file that comes with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
You use a deck of cards instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes with a deck of cards that have encounters on them. It's more limited than the book, but should still have quite a bit of replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. So how does gameplay work using the books vs using the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
You use the book, instead of using the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the Book:
- When you have an encounter, have another player draw a card from the encounter deck that matches your regional location on the board (Asia, Ocean, etc).
- If Intel is present at your location, they read the "With Intel" portion of the card. Otherwise, they read the "No Intel" portion.
- Attempt to pass the test at the bottom of the section just read to you. The "With Intel" test will typically be more difficult than the "No Intel" test.

With the Book:
- For land encounters: Draw a Book Encounter Card (different deck than the location encounter cards). It gives an encounter number (x) and a Reaction Group id. Use the Reaction Group Chart to choose a reaction number (y). Then draw a Fate Card and select either the "With Intel" or "No Intel" number (z) as described above. Now have another player read encounter "x.y.z" in the Book of Encounters. Try to pass the test at the end of the encounter.
- For ocean encounters: Use the table on the back of the Reaction Group Chart instead. Roll a D6 to determine the encounter number (x) and Reaction Group. Use the Reaction Group Chart to choose a reaction number (y). Draw a Fate card and note the blue number (z). Now look up encounter "x.y.z" in the Book of Encounters. Try to pass the test at the end of the encounter.

Basically, by using the book, you get to choose your character's reaction to the encounter. You won't know what impact that will have on the encounter, so it's basically thematic flavor, and allows for each book encounter card to map to multiple written encounters in the book. The book has over 1600 encounters, so you'll get a ton more variety if you get the book with the game.

The "With the book" section was paraphrased from the compact rules summary file uploaded to BGG by user WhereAreTheBlackDice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Without the Book:
- When you have an encounter, have another player draw a card from the encounter deck that matches your regional location on the board (Asia, Ocean, etc).
- If Intel is present at your location, they read the "With Intel" portion of the card. Otherwise, they read the "No Intel" portion.
- Attempt to pass the test at the bottom of the section just read to you. The "With Intel" test will typically be more difficult than the "No Intel" test.

With the Book:
- For land encounters: Draw a Book Encounter Card (different deck than the location encounter cards). It gives an encounter number (x) and a Reaction Group id. Use the Reaction Group Chart to choose a reaction number (y). Then draw a Fate Card and select either the "With Intel" or "No Intel" number (z) as described above. Now have another player read encounter "x.y.z" in the Book of Encounters. Try to pass the test at the end of the encounter.
- For ocean encounters: Use the table on the back of the Reaction Group Chart instead. Roll a D6 to determine the encounter number (x) and Reaction Group. Use the Reaction Group Chart to choose a reaction number (y). Draw a Fate card and note the blue number (z). Now look up encounter "x.y.z" in the Book of Encounters. Try to pass the test at the end of the encounter.

Basically, by using the book, you get to choose your character's reaction to the encounter. You won't know what impact that will have on the encounter, so it's basically thematic flavor, and allows for each book encounter card to map to multiple written encounters in the book. The book has over 1600 encounters, so you'll get a ton more variety if you get the book with the game.

The "With the book" section was paraphrased from the compact rules summary file uploaded to BGG by user WhereAreTheBlackDice.

Thanks this is what I wanted to know. It also sounds like it adds to the game time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:

With the Book:

With the book are you given any information before you make your choice on the reaction matrix?

In ToTAN you are told what you encounter (e.g. Wandering Prophet, Mad Enchantress, Savage Beasts, etc.) so you can decide what might be an appropriate (or inappropriate) response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One slight correction:

mvettemagred wrote:

The "With Intel" encounter is only read if an Intel token is picked up from the location, not just if there is an Intel token present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
With the book are you given any information before you make your choice on the reaction matrix?

In ToTAN you are told what you encounter (e.g. Wandering Prophet, Mad Enchantress, Savage Beasts, etc.) so you can decide what might be an appropriate (or inappropriate) response.

Unfortunately I think you are also only given the title of the encounter like ToTAN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
You use the book, instead of using the cards.

Snarky...I like it. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
One slight correction:

mvettemagred wrote:

The "With Intel" encounter is only read if an Intel token is picked up from the location, not just if there is an Intel token present.

Right. My bad. It's been some time since I help review the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like the encounter book is necessary if you foresee yourself being part of a group of folks that plays a lot of games. I'm probably getting it because even if I only play a boardgame a few times, I always buy a game that has a supreme amount of replay value so it feels I got my moneys worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cactusgod wrote:
It sounds like the encounter book is necessary if you foresee yourself being part of a group of folks that plays a lot of games. I'm probably getting it because even if I only play a boardgame a few times, I always buy a game that has a supreme amount of replay value so it feels I got my moneys worth.

I haven't played the game yet, but I envision the biggest difference between having the book and not, is using the Reaction Matrix (RM). With the book and the RM, you have the ability to make a choice before each encounter, and have that choice affect the tone of the subsequent encounter. The RM also give you the ability to "play" your character how you want to. For example, if you want to be a rough, tough, nasty SoB of an agent, you can do that. If you want to be a charming, sneaky, backstabbing type of agent, you can do that instead. If you want to be charming one time and physical the next, you can do that too. I think using the RM will go a long way toward making each UN agent come alive, and connecting each player to his character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.