22 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: All adventures are too easy & short?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
Has somebody the same feeling that adventures are too easy and TOO SHORT?

The original 3 adventures in LCG were quite interesting and balanced. The first one was quite easy, but still quite nice quest.. and the third one is the best i have played

BUT, then all the new adventure packs i have played have been disappointing, because they are very short, and have only some "trick" to achive the quests

Just played Journey to rhosgospel (two players). The game last about 10 minutes. Played twice, and it was so easy

Played Hills of emyn muil, it was sooo easy with northern tracker! (again there is only one "trick" u have to now, then it is easy)

Played Conflict at the carrock, it was little bit more enhancing, but also there was some "tricks" u could do to make it quite easy... (because u know when the trols are going to attack)

Am I only one, who would like to have longer and more challenging adventures? And i can not see why quests are so sort, they could put more quest cards and cards with more progress tokens needed... ´

I like the game a lot, but would like to see longer quests to build up forces and get feeling to do something more than just get luckily the one needed card in to my starting hand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Often (though not always) when people say the game is too easy, it's because they're missing a rule somewhere. Beating JtR in 10 minutes makes it sound like you might be missing something--it might be helpful to post a log a play of that quest. Either an error will become apparent or you'll impress people with your skill!

At any rate, Return to Mirkwood is plenty hard, so that should help. Massing at Osgiliath is a challenge for anyone. And in general I think the quests have been getting progressively more challenging, if only to keep pace with the new player cards.

Also, if using a particular card makes a quest uninteresting... don't use that card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that if you are finding the game too easy you are either:

1. Playing improperly. I was guilty of this too at first and thought the game was rather easy. Then I re-read the rules and played properly and got crushed repeatedly.

2. You are well above the power curve. By this I mean using cards from the late Dwarrowdelf Cycle for intro adventures. This would make the game rather easy too.

3. Combine those two and the game would be an absolute joke of simple.

To fix that you need to:

1. Insure you are playing everything correctly.

2. Use cards that would only be available to the time of that adventure to avoid going beyond the power curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
The game comes in cycles, so it may be more fair to treat them as chain of quests rather than a quest.

Beating JtR is easy, all you need is draw power and healing cards.
Beating CatC is easy, just load the deck with tactics cards.
Beating HoEM is easy, get few location voodoo magic out and good to go.

But beating every Mirkwood cycle quests are not easy, as you now need to deal with Locations, Enemies, Encounter deck manipulation and threat management with single deck.

IMO, making quest longer will only make things less entertaining.. as collecting VPs in Emyn Muil and Redhorn Gate can get tidious, and if you are looking for challenge there is always Massing at Osgiliath for multiplayer and Escape from Dol Guldur for solo play.

But yeah.... try playing multiple quests with a deck and see how that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try picking a random group of adventurers (or two random and one self-pick) to avoid always cherry picking the best party for each game. Makes things much more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhosgobel and Emyn Muil are two of the least interesting quests that have been made so far. Return to Mirkwood, Massing at Osgiliath, and most of the Dwarrowdelf cycle are much more interesting (and more challenging).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
I think we are playing properly. I haven´t found any mistakes...

I just don¨t like quests that are build around only one idea, and can be solved easily picking the right cards. I would like to see longer quests with lot of variation.

game mechanic is good, and that´s why it would not be so hard to make more interesting quests

We have played first spider quest with a couple of house rules. (basically: every other round deal 3 encounter cards, and every third round all spiders get +1a/+1d/+1shadow, "night time")

That has been hard and quite exiting one.. We like it, because it is "basic" gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soloing Escape From Dul Guldur is easy :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psy Bite
msg tools
Want to make this LCG instantly harder?

Try playing with engaged enemies still adding their threat strength to the staging area for Quest Resolution. You'll soon see that threat counter going up and make the game very hard. It's how I've played the game over my fist 3 tries (in error)and was wondering why it was so hard to play solo?

Btw the rulebook was not clear to me that engaged enemies count as being in another "game area" eg for all intents and purposes the "engaged area", for the purposes of Quest Resolution. It was only after watching FFG's gameplay video that I realised this. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason this game is too easy is that one of the players - the encounter deck - can't adjust their strategy to match yours. So you will always be able to build player decks which can beat particular encounter decks. That's not a problem with game design so much, as a problem inherent to a coop lcg.

If you want the game to be more challenging, you need to directly address your inherent advantage. One way to do this is to resist building specific decks for specific quests. Another way is to ban certain cards which you find yourself relying on. Another way is to limit yourself to 2 or 1 copy per deck, rather than 3. Another way is to increase the minimum deck size (from 50 to 70, for example). Another way is to randomize part of your deck - for example you can randomize your first two heroes. You can self impose all kinds of limitations. But, bottom line, you're going to have to balance the game yourself because the encounter deck doesn't have a brain, so it can't do it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
We have played all quests with same decks. (only added 2-3 / cards from new player cards / quest. Never builded a deck against single quest.

And this far, only Escape from dol guldur has been challenging and very enjoyable quest. It is a quite long and versatile quest, you really get the feeling, that you really have to make hard decisions and plan what you are doing. Not just have a good luck and get right cards from your deck.

AND yes, ofcourse you can make a bad deck with you wont be able to win a single quest. But i think one of the most enhancing and enjoyable thing in this game is deckbuilding, to build a good deck and win with it. If you try to make bad deck, whole game is broken.

OK, but my initial question was, if somebody else had the same feeling that it would be nice to have more these longer quests like Dol Guldur. But it seems I am alone with my feeling and you other don´t have anything to complain..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see, it's worth noting that two player is quite a bit easier than single player. I've mostly done single player and haven't found the quests to be particularly easy. I'm not sure what to suggest to toughen up two player.

A very common rules error (because it is pretty much missing from the rule book) is that if you don't commit any characters to quest, you still do the full quest phase, treating the committed Willpower as zero. I just single out that rule as it is often misinterpreted and makes the game much, much easier if you skip the quest phase if you don't commit any characters to quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tjoki wrote:
We have played all quests with same decks. (only added 2-3 / cards from new player cards / quest. Never builded a deck against single quest.

Something is wrong here. Please consider playing a single handed game and jotting everything down for us to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
I don´t mean we have won all the games. I just mean, i would like to play longer quests like Escape from dol guldur.

For example we lost second quest (journey down anduin) 3 times, every time we draw 2 trolls within 3 first rounds

(i don´t understand what u mean by sending no characters to quest, offcourse i have to quest if i don´t want my treat became 50 soon.. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the Massing at Osgiliath? That one is fairly long, too.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i wonder if OP tried the Shadow and Flame AP yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Foundation of Stone yet? FoS is a very interesting and challenging quest and its definitely not too short. What I understand from your post is that you like quests where the different quest stages throw the players into a new situation (like Anduin and Dol Guldur). In fact this is lacking in many AP scenarios indeed. FoS is more like this (separating the players and putting them into very different quest environments) and to some extent Redhorn Gate (if you dont watch condition attachments on your heros they gonna auto-killed in the last quest stage) and Long Dark (stumbling around in the dark before LOST effects trigger and hit you hard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
"What I understand from your post is that you like quests where the different quest stages throw the players into a new situation (like Anduin and Dol Guldur)."

Yes, that´s what i meant

It´s nice to hear that there are more challenging quests we haven´t played yet. I nearly thought i wont buy any more, because some have been dissappointing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you definitely should try Foundations of Stone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
I find myself wishing for a few more easier quests, but still interesting, i.e. NOT Emyn Muil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i also found the quests too easy. maybe give my scenarios a try:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68050/custom-scenario-...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69557/letsdance-custom...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.