Subject: Can you tell someone they have 0 cards of a value or colour? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the heading really - when giving info can you tell someone they have zero of a colour or value?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as per my interpretation, no. The clues are for giving information (color or value) about cards in hand, not information about cards NOT in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I believe that the official answer to this is "Yes", but given that there is a degenerate strategy if you allow this, I'd suggest that you go with "no".

Of course, that answer came from the "Hanabi and Ikebana" printing, so perhaps the rules are clearer now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Wagner
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
As per the heading really - when giving info can you tell someone they have zero of a colour or value?

The official answer by Antoine is "yes" and we also included this in our rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there you go. We've been playing it wrong. Thanks for the correction guys, I'm glad I popped in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to tell someone they have no cards of a certain color is very helpful with the mini-expansion that includes 5 additional cards that are multicolored. "You have no red cards" tells someone that they also have no multicolored cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robb wrote:
given that there is a degenerate strategy if you allow this,.

Really? Can you elaborate?

I've always played knowing this rule, but only found it useful once in dozens of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Schreiber wrote:
The ability to tell someone they have no cards of a certain color is very helpful with the mini-expansion that includes 5 additional cards that are multicolored. "You have no red cards" tells someone that they also have no multicolored cards.

My understanding is that the multicolor cards are their own color, so they wouldn't be covered in a "these cards are red" kind of clue.

Also, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had someone give a "you have no cards of this color/number" clue, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to figure into any real strategy.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Chris Schreiber wrote:

My understanding is that the multicolor cards are their own color, so they wouldn't be covered in a "these cards are red" kind of clue.

Also, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had someone give a "you have no cards of this color/number" clue, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to figure into any real strategy.

Cameron

In the new version, the multicolored cards register as all colors. So "red" would include red plus multicolored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ABACUSSPIELE wrote:
domus_ludorum wrote:

The official answer by Antoine is "yes" and we also included this in our rules.

Thanks for the clarification - I don't think this is covered in the English version of the rules I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Wagner
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
In the new version, the multicolored cards register as all colors. So "red" would include red plus multicolored.

Please note that this is only a 2nd variant we included: When giving clues multicolored cards are handled like you described and you are not allowed to say "multicolored". But you have to play them on the table like a sixth color. It makes playing with multicolored cards harder and I would suggest to play with 10 multicolored cards first when using this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
xitoliv wrote:
Robb wrote:
given that there is a degenerate strategy if you allow this,.

Really? Can you elaborate?

I've always played knowing this rule, but only found it useful once in dozens of games.

Sorry, tried to find the original post explaining this so I could link it, I failed. A friend came up with this system:

Basically, if you can tell someone that they hold 0 of something, then on your turn you always have the ability to give one of (11 * number_of_players -1) clues - in a 4 player game, one of 33 clues. You can tell the player on your left hand partner about his cards of a color he is holding (1 of 6 with the multicolored cards), or his 1's, 2's, etc.. (1 or 5), so you can tell him one of 11 things. Same for the next player, same for the next player. This gives you far more space for an artificial convention then you need. So for example, Artificial clue #1 might be tell my LHP about his 1s, and clue #6 may be tell him about reds, and #12 is tell the guy two seats to the left about his 1s.

This only works if 0 is a legal number to tell someone about - if it isn't, I can't tell my LHP about his reds if he isn't holding any reds.

Obviously, you can play with allowing 0 and not allowing this degenerate strategy - but as you've said, it's rarely useful in a natural setting, and rather then disallow some artificial uses of 0 but not all of them we just disallowed clueing 0.

Now, I haven't played the new variant of counting multicolored cards as all colors, but I could see how it may be more valuable to clue 0 when playing with that variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thankfully I couldn't follow that, so I'm going to keep allowing the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of using an elaborated coded communication scheme, I would rather just cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that this has changed in the new R&R Edition of Hanabi: "0 card clues" are explicitly not permitted.

Any idea why they made this change, given that Bauza apparently is in favor of 0-card clues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dragonstout wrote:
Note that this has changed in the new R&R Edition of Hanabi: "0 card clues" are explicitly not permitted.

Any idea why they made this change, given that Bauza apparently is in favor of 0-card clues?

I'd like to know this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
dragonstout wrote:

There is an artificial convention set which totally breaks the game open that makes use of the 0-clue. And it doesn't make the game fun. I would guess that they wanted to discourage this. Or maybe they wanted to explicitly disallow it in case they ever ran a duplicate Hanabi tournament . And the 0-clue is rarely useful in a more natural convention set (although I see how it could be more valuable if you're playing more with the negative-information space)

Oh, hey, I already posted this like 3 posts up. Although my explanation of the convention set is absolutely terrible? Maybe it was deliberately obscure so as to not taint people who wanted to use the 0 clue, although really, if you're using an artificial convention set, it's pretty obvious that you're doing so. Or maybe I just posted when I was tired .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me playing Hanabi with an artificial convention set both spoils the game and misses the point of it entirely. I will continue to play allowing the zero clues but simply won't play the game at all with anyone suggesting call conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Robb wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
dragonstout wrote:

... I would guess ...

... I already posted this ...

Do you know or guess why they changed it? Are you speaking officially for R&R games? My question is why THEY changed it especially since the designer aid he wanted it the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you generally want to clue legitimate plays, when is a zero clue a good idea?

I guess there could be a case where you already know certain things about your hand and knowing that none of them are X, makes multiple things clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Robb wrote:

There is an artificial convention set which totally breaks the game open that makes use of the 0-clue. And it doesn't make the game fun. I would guess that they wanted to discourage this. Or maybe they wanted to explicitly disallow it

I was going to write you a post to try to get you to hint at what this convention-code scheme is out of pure curiosity, but attempting to put that question into words caused me to realize exactly what the scheme is. And that it is incredibly straightforward, and that it makes the game totally pointless.

To the OP and all other posters - I was with you - I still wanted to be able to give negative clues - until I realized this scheme. Now I see why it was disallowed and I plan to enforce the R&R "no negative clues" rule just to prevent anyone I play with from ever realizing this game-breaking convention too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.