Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
So it was the 1937 - the Germany started its rearmaments, only to secede them to Nationalist Spain. (Yes, the game opened with ripe promises of Victory with a bad roll on Civil War first card played.).

The first cards are pretty much channeled so no big stuff to say.
Denmark has been seceded in '38; and the Soviets hurry up to dash into Baltic States of their own accord, giving me Memeland for free! (Allowing me to discard the related card when I'm required to.)
Though Denmark is taken through Military Victory event, which brings the Warfooting Troops ready. (And more losses for the Germany, an infantry and a panzer step til now total!)

The Allies hasten their Guarantees before Austria is taken as well off and ingested in the Third Reich.

Political moves happen where the Allies attempt to spread influence left and right meanwhile the Frenchmen begins to build the Maginot.

Axis and Soviets in late '38 supports both still the Civil War. With much dismay the Axis wins twice and the Soviets get a defeat, ultimately finalizing the Civil War into a Nationalist Victory. (Alas for me a bad result, since I have still 3 Support Nationalists cards which get the political free influence / rid of an opposing token.)

Those political ouvertures bring the Belgium influenced by Allies; and Bulgaria and Romania by Axis.

The Axis plays in delaying the war as much as they can, demanding Czechland and getting it in early '39. By then the Soviets were not in Pact yet, thus I'd have given Czech as Soviet and being subject to Cordon Sanitaire policy I'd not have got war of yet - because my army was ridiculous and the W.Allies would have crushed Germany in few turns probably.
France is truly a monster that ended up sitting with full Force Pool by when the Limited War got enacted and with Maginot fully built. (Though part of the bargain was the Minor Country Production that was given out in Spring '38 by Denmark Military Victory).

With the grandtotal of 4 Ceded Lands in my box, the Summer '39 Mobilization provided 12 extra steps of infantry in the conditional event phase, which alongside the Pact, saw a large boosting of the '39 armed forces of Germany. Until then it was a staggering nation scared to go to war. (And trust me, if you get to War by then, you just get crushed savagely by France alone - Allies can play Guarantees too quickly and swiftly; you can only get 1 territory before it; and eventually the soviets wants to wait longer before to get Baltics.)

The Soviets devour as well East Poland before Poland itself is attacked or even surrenders the corridor, so the Axis demands as well the Corridor and achieves it. Then in '40 plays its last mobilization for extra steps of infantry and panzers. We get to Limited War without being actually at war at all.

Both Switzerland and Italy had their Neutrality still on!

The real opening of the war is the invasion of Norway, neat and clean. The Allies watch. The Soviets keep building up more and more and as Limited War allows their Tuchayevsky play brings forth demands left and right, earning over time Finland Frontier, Bessarabia, and would be the same for the Turkish Frontier (yes, an extra HQ is quite appetizing and to play that is quite a no brainer in my opinion.) but the Turkish armies resist bleeding off the Soviets and retaining their land!
The Brits opt for an aggressive play in Afrika demanding Cyrenaica and obtaining it. That removed the neutrality token off the Italy.

France swiftly opts to lock Belgium out and extend its fortified line. Luck wanted for Delay Rolls to have 2 6s, placing 2 forts in the 1st summer turn so after the Axis one.

Fall Gelb / Case Yellow enacts (and we have to trickleback of 3 turns as the Germans litterally fail in it and bleed heavily, earning no hex in France with the French forces yawning at the attacks of the German quality troops with air superiority - we determined it's purely luck based, the front is too small that there is hardly any strategy into it. You roll good, get the -right- amount of retreating hexes and you are fine. Otherwise you can as well start anew.)

Example of this.
France had 1 HQ and was out of range, and a 7 defence Factor in Calais. Germany could not use planes (did not had enough and it was in range of UK airbases).
The best option to attack was 2-1 + HQ and Panzer shift for Blitz.
The Axis required to stack 3 units (because for exploitation, they needed 2 units to cover the ZOC closeby, and place the third in Paris if the Explotation distance was 3. So you had to stack in a way to allow that.
This was a roll for doing or killing the game. Plain and simple. Both of us felt that way. If there was a failure, the Frenchment would have counterattacked the point or the weak 1 step link, and cut off the spearhead leaving the rest of the German forces to face the fortified line. Evaluations are that if you get in this situation you should look East and defend West, with Case Otto. But the Soviets are quite strong too compared to current German army - not to talk later.

At summer '41 the Soviets had still 52 Steps from Baltics to Odessa (not counting Leningrad sector) vs 40 Steps of Germans. And in large scale odd terms the Soviets are not so weaker than Axis. And they've 5 HQs all over the front.

The third turn of Summer, Paris falls for the example above, a lucky roll makes the French retreat enough. (Brits did not send -any- BEF, and did not had London HQ yet. Also latest rearmament card was British and not French for long term play). A 6-6-6- Mech army with added 1 step units was waiting already in Cyrenaica for Mussolini to enter the war.

The combined Paris Threatened and Paris Taken out of Case Yellow brings Spain in the War. German troops descend to strike at Lisbon and seize a Strat.Hex, and storm Gibraltar. With heroic resistance the Brits hold the line at first, repel an attack with AD where the Axis chooses to retreat. Advance off Gibraltar and when they've to retreat they move in Tangier that was empty. The brits keep retreating in the hills pursued by German-Spanish forces.

Once the Axis Tide, and +1 to Diplo Rolls is achieved the diplomatic offensive start. Italy comes first.

The political play is odd - Germany brings Sweden and Finland to its side. (Sorted out that Sweden is a must to help you reinforce Norway and have land supply and access to it in case the Allies want to invade. Otherwise those 2 Strat-Hexes will be given to Allies in Total War + 1 year.)

Extreme luck keeps blessing the Axis in its rolls in diplomacy, Yugoslavia joins the Axis as well. That's 4 nailed rolls out of 4 (Finland had Influence though.).

The political landscape changed a bit, where now Hungary and Bulgaria and Greece and Turkey have all Allied Influence in!
Poland and Romania are both full neutral, devoid of any influence by now.

2nd turn of Summer '41, Barbarossa will happen in '42 if it will happen.
German, Italian and Yugoslavian troops are poised to storm Greece, and Hungary. Case Marita pending.
Could be interesting to check for Greece diplomatical incident though.
Mostly Barbarossa at the present introduces a -massive- issue.
The lone German - Soviet border is Memeland!
If Poland and Romania were Axis, either you occupy them (and forfeit precious steps of Minors) OR you can send into them only 1 Step units.
The Hungarian border is atrocious to attack from.
The Axis has still 3 political options to play. (last summer turn and 1 2 turn season.). But what will happen til then? And will the luck of the dices abandon the Germans?

Afrika. Ah ... the UK as soon as Mussolini said anything about war, marched into Lybya.
The Italians attempt to defend the river ... river? Desert creek ... for 2 months! Two! The starving, ill equipped Italian armies in the desert fend off the mechanized offensive of the Allies, then they're pushed back to Tripoli where in the meanwhile the italian tankettes arrived alongside more infantry. The brits advance recklessly to the outskirts of Tripoli.
The Italians exploits number to extend themselves and strike at the rear of the UK supply line - trading off losses and cutting the supply of the main attack force that slowly shrinks to the reduced 2 step infantry version of the once powerful mech.
The thousands (colonial) nations of the Persian Empire ... ehm I meant the British Emprire are rushing to the rescue meanwhile the Italians are digging in desperately (since there is almost a year to go before Rommel can be fielded!).
Besides the Germans with the pursuit of the Gibraltar expedition, the campaign in Greece pending, Hungary to deal with - and the fate of Poland uncertain - cannot truly afford forces for the Afrikan sector (that is deprived of Strat.Hexes in reach.).

Personal Considerations:
The game in itself is extremely interesting for the fact the situations you can create are always different. The political rolls can truly change the landscape of Europe in terms of Alliances.

There are a few gamekiller options though. Mainly how France can be strong, and how a screwed up chain of rolls can butcher Germany prematurely - or bring it to war well before it is time for.
The first fix I would think on is that the Guarantee and Pact card from the non Axis factions should require 2 Demand Card played with success by Axis. (Or to have 2 Ceded Lands markers in their box but then the Soviets can add Memeland on their own tricking the timing a lot.)
I believe it's frustrating to begin a game, only to have it murdered prematurely. Because, let us be frank and honest; if France can roll over Germany already alone in '38 due to a screwed up roll - or even if they do not, to cause so many losses that your Barbarossa is inhibited ...

German troops. Too few. Far too few. Sure, they've superior stats but once you have to get high odds, once the defender has 3-4-5 Factor per unit, to have 1 point extra for each 1-2 steps more you got, won't cut it.
In both games I had also Germany had more troops than the standard due to the '40 Mobilization that historically is not played. Which neats in a summer 6 Inf step and up to 3 Armor ones.
When I look at what the France and the Soviets field, their armies are immense, and as I said above a 2 step 3-3 unit is not bad at all defending when a German is 4-4 or 3-4 for 2 steps.

The odds and the stacks. The game envision to attack 1 spot at high odds and try to make it retreat and then ... do what? Enemy HQs will prevent retreat and get trade off in steps (which Soviets can afford nps) - the France can do the same. To not advance stalls Germany. Each combat is a risk for attrition losses even at 9-1 odds.
France is troublesome, due to Forts and 1 HQ that halts your advance already. Soviets have 5 HQs, go figure out.
In the previous game Barbarossa was border fight for 2 summer turns and the 3rd an advance up to Kiev and Minsk that fell simply because the Soviet exhausted the 3 HQ they had (yes first game, picked the HQ of minors option, so had 2 HQs sitting in Force pool and 1 in Soviet Bulgaria). Now I shiver at the thought of 5 HQs backing up massive Soviet forces. I am quite sure in 3 turns of Blitz I won't advance at all - and if I manage to advance as it happened in the other game in the second turn of Summer, the Soviets muster forces to counterattack your pointe that is off your HQ range, and forces it to route and overstack killing lots of Germans for free - again that you cannot afford.

The French - Soviet dominance already when they should be almost a walk-over gives be bad vibes.

Axis and Minors. Germany has many cards to bring Minors in, but the limit is that the Minor Country production is only +1 - meanwhile there should be option to get a +2 somehow, especially if you have many minors, to represent their own production. Italy has its own, but to have Spain, Sweden, Finland, Yugoslavia - you think you'd get maybe 2 steps if you combine their production about?

Air Superiority? Not so existant against UK. By the time you get to France they have 2 Air Support units, and Germany has 4. It's not enough to fuel your whole offensive at all. In Barbarossa either you get 4 + 1 in Delay Box, vs 1 Interceptor of the Soviets. Your airplanes can last 2 turns overall in both cases. One if you use them extensively to cover the whole front.
Sealion is pratically a gamble - the Brits have 3 fleets and 3 planes by then, and Axis has 4 planes, 5 with the card; and 2 subs. It will all matter how delay rolls are. (Probably how it was historically, but worth to invest all the eggs of your game in it with such high risk degree?) - given IF you place a beachhead and the UK is under garrisoned you could get lucky with rolls but with London HQ, and 2 shifts off the BH, and the need to take a port (thus a City) because you won't be able to replicate for sure the BH and thus the supply the next turn ...
That I can live with but on the later game the Axis airforce seems to fade into nothingness very quickly. I'd have Fall Blau add 1 Airforce (pick up the one from SS Europa - and have both Festung and SS Europa provide the interceptor.)

In the previous game both sides were at their first game, the Soviets did lots of mistakes and were not so well set, with the Axis having on the paper 3 VPs (but once Festung Europa hit the nail as marker they were at 2) they had 2. The Turks were Axis though and they nailed both Baku and Teheran (The Soviets highly understimated the Turns and placed just a veil force on their front.).
Also the Allies played Victory Program, which gave the USA so many troops they were not able to ship off USA at all but delayed their assets and gave 1 bomber less to UK. So pratically a hindrance more than a benefit since the extra USA replacements were simply sitting ducks in the USA Box.

So to recap - the game has many possibilities and openings which make it interesting; but currently I have the impression it is shaped to make the Axis the total and constant underdog for the whole of the war having no chances of winning - especially if I look at how the VPs are placed, far and remote - and what it takes to get enough of them for 3 VPs on the trackboard without opponent mistakes.
The next time I plan to check out the Allies, and see if I actually yawn and steamroll, or I have to change my underwear often with the Summer axis blitz cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the AAR. I am so tempted by this game but am not sure I'd ever get to play it. At £90 that's quite a punt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Continuation - Up to pre-Barbarossa
The Axis finalizes the Alliance with Romania, and declares War to Hungary - beginning the process of dealing with the Western Allies influenced minors in continental Europe.

Hungary is rolled over with no issues, and the Romanians pose a threat to Bulgaria (that with Greece is the pro-Allies neutral bastion in Europe.)

Allies keeps arming up Commonwealth troops, and send them over Lybya, increasing the amount of forces there sensibly.

Soviets keep pressing for politics all around.
Iraq gets trampled by UK forces and Persia turns out to be a Soviet country (You roll randomly on an Area Table. The aims where to press Turkey further in the Allies. The results thanksfully were not as favorable though.)

In Autumn Case Marita comes in play, I pick to roll on the International Crisis table. With Free Passage or Border War I am a happy panda, taking Greece as Axis in a way or another. The roll provides Coup Attempt, which makes me half happy. Greece falls into Allies but do not mobilize. Means they've all 1 stepper in play. With the Blitz marker the German units sweep to Athens and seize it without suffering.
Bulgaria is DoWed, and in the Mud the Romanian armies advance and begin to grind down Sofia - which is to fall during the Winter.

The Axis demands Switzerland. To get Barbarossa in time with Summer that was a required card. It also gave a juicy mountain unit, that with Swedish or Finnish sky units can form another 2 step 4-4-3 army.
On the other hand I overstimated the Switzerland defences which bled heavily the Germans and by Barbarossa time are still pinning a good half of the Wermacth, pratically making Barbarossa a joke.

In the opening spring, meanwhile Switzerland is under siege, Poland joins Axis! (Which has pros and cons. You get many free steps of the Polish army, but at the same time the German multistep units cannot enter Poland without consequences. Not that this is too bad though as not in accord to the plans, half of Germany land units assigned to Barbarossa are in the alpine quagmire of Switzerland.).

Bern falls in the early spring, but in the late spring Zurich still resists fiercely. Least the alpine crossing malus is not here anymore but still City + Fort present. I sense a ridiculous Barbarossa happening or better a front Sitzkrieg by Axis side due to shortage of troops.
The Polish army is ridiculous, Romania has 3/4 of its forces after the exchanges required to take Sofia earlier. The hungarian frontier has mountain passes. Memeland is where the Soviets have the most of their land forces, about 20ish steps against 9 of Germans.
Pratically there is no possibility to advance except to slip in Bessarabia that is lightly manned for the time being.

Considerations after the session.
Axis perspectives are rather grim already in continental Europe.
Then again, Switzerland could have been the real mistake - and should have kept as filler card Demand Gau Moselland or Demand Memeland, which implies since those countries being taken you just take replacements and be merry with.
Switzerland also - if Axis can afford to remove the Neutrality marker at some point, is a nice Minor to have. 2 Forts in position already for later use when the Allies come on you; and 2 decent armies (2-3-2) that can eventually move freely in France once France Occupied is not anymore in the Ceded Land box (which happens when Vichy falls).

One learns from the mistakes. Now I do know - with 5 Strat-Hexes, that I need a 6th to go to 2 VPs and play a desperate Festung Europa.
My logical deduction is that to go for 3 VPs (9 Strat.hexes) is pratically mission impossible against a competent player, AND anyway you need to take them, AND have them in a seasonal turn where the VPs are computed, AND hold them until the Fortress Europa marker emerges off the turn track (since it's put in the Delay Box).
The 2 VPs policy seems the safemost as the Axis can peak 3 VPs in Total War Year+1 Summer blitz phase. But if they hold them is an unknown variable. Besides, you risk to roll 1 on your Fortress Europa delay box, and have it appearing the 2nd turn of Summer for example, that pratically does not give you the time to score enough Strat.Hexes.

I feel the card needs a small tweak eventually. It's silly the feeling compelled to hold (if you get them) certain Strat-Hexes jut because you're waiting a marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
We had lunch, brief pause and then kept on.
1 Turn only of Barbarossa for like 2 hours (yes we still take lots of time thinking and computing odds).
After Replacements positioned this was about the deployment - for how generic it is:

Note: Specific deployment would be far better for a AAR and the next time I am to take screenshots of the Vassal game.
Also at this Stage, Soviet Armies and HQ are all 3-3 combat factor

The Germans had 1 HQ and 3*3 Step Armies in Memelland - facing the largest chunk of the Soviet Army, 3 HQs and 9 armies about. Three of those armies were mechanized cavalry.

The Poland front was covered by poles, and germans produced in Berlin / Posen were to rush to reinforce the otherwise too weak line. Those newly arrived troops were mostly 1 step panzers that were entirely absent until then in the sector.
Facing a 2 step Soviet army per hex, except the plain hexes north of the River Bug, having 2 armies of 2 steps per hex. 1 HQ was south of the Pripet Marshes in the rearlines. The soviet had a mechanized infantry step in reserve in Minsk.

In Hungary the Germans massed 1 HQ, 1 PanzerArmee (the lone non panzer-corp of 1 step present for Barbarossa in the area), and 5 infantry armies of 3 steps.
They were facing nothing pratically, directly, where the Soviet line containing 1 HQ, and 3 armies over 3 hexes behind the Dnestr river.

In Romania, 3 Romanian armies and their cavalry, the newly formed HQ Med (more fitting named as HQ Antonescu eventually in this case!) backed up by 2 panzer steps and 1 infantry step were facing 3 soviet armies and a step of mechanized infantry.

The Finnish frontier envision 2 Finnish Armies and 2 MNT Armies against the Leningrad Fort and 2 Soviet Armies.
A one step Sky unit is at Pestamo, facing a Soviet Army in Murmansk.

The Axis still had 1 HQ, 4 armies and about 3 1 steps units including panzers pinned against Switzerland.

3 Airforces for the Axis vs 1 Interceptor of the Soviets.

___

The northern front was not touchable. Lack of forces against those odds.
All 3 Blitzes goes south, one to open up Odessa (even if there is a soviet army in the swamps in the south of it). One to storm the hill south of Lvov. The last since it was not needed in Sovietland, went straight in Switzerland.

The Luftwaffe flew 2 out of its 3 ready luftflottes, one over Switzerland, and one in the hex west of Odessa - which the soviet favored to not contest and keep its interceptor ready for later use.

Switzerland falls in the Blitz combat where this time with HQ, Airforce and Panzer shift, and 30 attack value vs 5, the maximum echelon of the chart is reached, and 4 losses inflicted on the fly. Smooth. In the reserve movement those troops will begin their march toward Sovietland except 1 infantry army which is to move to garrison the Channel Shores.

Russian front. The opponent did some mistakes which is going to repent of - so I think. The bottom of the Romanian front is not covered by HQ, neither the southern edge of the Poland front.

IMPORTANT: HQs are essential to hold the line. If you have a HQ in combat you cannot retreat and are to convert your retreat result in step losses. (But you hold the line). The soviet player mistake to keep his HQ far too behind the scenes has costed him the southern front I believe.

Blitz Combat Phase.

With good odds Lvov unit is pushed away of 3 hexes, getting in the South-East hex of Pinsk (where the local HQ is).
Germans exploit along with Poles. The PanzerArmee that crossed the carpatian mounts from Hungary reaches Zhmerinka, threatening the other HQ of the Soviets that is south of it in the plain hex along an army. 2 Soviet armies are entrenched in the closeby hills.
The other victim of this advance is the lonely and surrounded army that was covering the hill hex bordering Poland and Hungary both. It gets mercilessly butchered and unable to retreat is destroyed.
Curses though gave a Retreat 2 and Attrition 1 to the Soviet. Since it cannot retreat losts 2 steps instead of Retreating 2; and the Attrition 1 means I can exploit of 1 hex - which is the same as Advance after Combat. I needed 2 hexes of exploitation to bring 2 Armies in enemy contact for the regular Combat Phase.

HQ Antonescu, a mix of romanians and germas attack the Soviet Army in the Swamps. Again off HQ range. The roll favors me, pushing the enemy back of 2 hexes! It means it has to go into Odessa, and retreat 1 more hex pulling along the soviet army in Odessa! Yay, free City!
The Axis troops tail up en mass. They only total a measly combat value, but have panzer, HQ, and the airforce positioned closeby Odessa.
The soviets now have 1 full army in Kishinev, to east of it, the single step mech, and further east the retreated force of Odessa - totally 3 steps after having lost 1 of attrition.

The Axis loss count totals only 1 armour step for now. (You lose always as first step when attacking armour if you have any, in blitz combat or not.)

Regular Combat Phase.

Unaware of possible results - I choose to fight first against a HQ + an army of the Soviets, where I have only a panzerarmee and 1 HQ. 12 CV vs 6. The failure of the previous exploits ruins my plans to storm the hills and ... well I rolled 1 in the end of the day, best result ever for me, 2 step losses for the Soviets.

But the best is still to come. I rolled 1 again in the fight against the mechanized unit in a 9-1 odd. (4-1 + HQ and Airforce shift.)
Incredible enough, it retreats of 3, has to suffer 2 of attrition but can only use 1. I end up to exploit of 4!
Troops can exploit only of their movement allowance in terms of hexes, but you move of hexes.
With so many small units and sacrificable Romanians I slip through the zoc of the units to bring the Romanian cav and a German Pz respective in ZOC range of Kiev and Dneprcity. Which means as Supply never enters a ZOC of an enemy - those cities are not supply centers for the Soviets neither they can deploy units in them. (I am not entirely sure of this mechanic because the Cities are defined as supply sources, and the ZOC blocks the Supply Line - anyway I am sceptical such situation would repeat itself. Such massive exploit paired up by absence of HQ. Any other result would not have brought that result. On the other hand I realized later that with a different exploit move I could have gone straight into Kiev with the reserve movement phase. In the end we decided once we sorted this out the turn later to go on as we were.).

The Soviet Counterattack.
It comes the Soviet Turn (will see the W.Allies later) and they have their large mobilization thingie which provides a tonnage of replacements upfront and in conditional event phase.

The Soviets rush to unlock the armies south-west of Dnepr city as they're out of supply. Supply is restore throug movement and those 3 steps of Soviets evacuate to protect Dneprcity.

On the other hand due to no upfront tank replacements the Soviets cannot get Kiev back in one go and have their rest of the Southern Army wiped off supply. It cannot move, but can attack.
The soviets attack indeed there to try to get exchanges of sort and obtain one out of two combats.

In the North the Soviets launch an attack, using their Blitz token.
This is probably a mistake of his, attacking in Blitz phase 2 areas (exploiting the fact Axis has only 1 HQ and he has 3) but not much is gained, some land which actually overexposes him to a flanking counterattack. The Axis high command plans a Von Manstein Backhand blow already for the turn to come.

In the reserve movement the Soviets shift the 3rd HQ of the Northern front toward the Pripet / Kiev meanwhile more troops and replacements pour in the sector from Rostov and Kharkov.

Delay rolls though favor the Soviets, bringing in their AF of emergency mobilization immediately in. Meaning Axis and Soviets have air parity for the next turn if they commit their AFs.

Barbarossa Turn 2

Three Blitzes placed, one of them in the Northern sector now that the enemy spearhead overextended itself - and with a poor reserve movement of my opponent I'd dare say. Another mistake he won't repeat in another game. Not just, he left a hex passage between the spearhead (HQ and 9 armies, shaping an arrow westward with the HQ alone in the eastmost hex tailing the troops.). The 2nd HQ left in the area has been moved into Minsk with some reserves newly created. (The Soviet card provides 8 infantry steps upfront in the seasonal turn, and 1 tank and 6 infantries per conditional event turn section. In summer a total of 26 infantries and 3 tanks!!! Pair it up with 1 Blitz and it's one among the strongest cards of the game in my opinion, especially due to the mix of immediated and diluted over time reinforcements - so in case you exhaust your force pool immediately you can get losses and replace them at the end of the turn!).

In the northern Blitz the poles shyly advanced to cover the ZoCs of the Soviets in their southern flank and panzers moving of 4 steps shift to surround the enemy. 2 6-6-3 armies are created in Poland from 6 infantries (since the Occupation check is a Conditional Event, I can form them and then move them out before Conditional Event section.); suddenly shaping the southern fist. One of them manages to leap through the poles and reach moving of 3 combat range with the enemy HQ.) The 3 armies (1 reduced to 2 steps now) in Memeland shifts to strike.
In the Blitz combat the HQ is assaulted with HQ support, panzer and alas no airforce. Both Luftwaffe and the Soviet planes clashed and we've 2 both in the delay box.

The HQ was forced to lose 2 steps before to be able to withdraw and then lost 1 more step due to overstacking as it ended up over a stack of 3 armies (so 3 units and 6 steps already).
In the regular combat phase the southmost stack got stormed, dices blessed me once again, retreat of 2 hexes. Result, 9 armies of Soviets piled up toghether, and 6 of them removed due to overstacking.

This mistake was easily avoidable by my counterpart by just tapping that small hole even with a 1 step unit, since with the HQ in range, and no Air Units that can prevent the HQ to be in supply (as it is a Support Unit and it a supply line never enters where there is another unit.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sword of Damocles
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alexander is gonna get Crushed CC:E Xmas 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, thanks for the AAR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.