Miles Vesuvius
msg tools
I found it after my dad passed away, and as far as i have been searching, there is no record of it on the internet anywhere. I am not looking for a value, i just want to know if it is a legit game.

The Game is called "Get off the welfare" by IDA games. Its self labelled mini board game my dad bought at his base commisary for $2.05 (military price, no idea actual price) I've enclosed a picture to help.

If anyone can find any information on this game, I would be greatly appriciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice find. I don't have any information on this game, but I suspect it may have been locally or privately produced. I've come across a number of 'Monopoly' styled games produced concerning individual towns. For instance my own town has a game named 'The Game of Truro'.The street names and businesses are all familiar places too me and basically plays like Monopoly. Maybe, if you look closely at the place names on the playing board, you can get a better idea of it's origin. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised this was sold on base. It's not an official Monopoly product and it is pretty blatant copyright infringement. Was he stationed overseas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found the following ebay auctions :

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GET-OFF-WELFARE-VINTAGE-BOARD-GAME-19...

Obviously, rare items, but there is a boxed version that exists, according to the 2nd auction.

However, this is the only information I could gather from my Google search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
my own town has a game named 'The Game of Truro'.The street names and businesses are all familiar places too me and basically plays like Monopoly.

This is quite possibly Wheeler Dealer, which exists in many localized versions. But the OP's game appears to be something else, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Vesuvius
msg tools
He was stationed overseas in the 60s, but when he got this i think it was the late 70's, early 80s which he was stationed in the states, i forget exactly where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
D20geo wrote:
He was stationed overseas in the 60s, but when he got this i think it was the late 70's, early 80s which he was stationed in the states, i forget exactly where.

Get Off the Welfare game out in early 70's so I think the links above to ebay items is the correct game, just different packaging (maybe a different print run or maybe it was repackaged at the store for whatever reasons)

You could add the game and picture to the database - always a good way to earn geekgold and help the database grow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Surprised this was sold on base. It's not an official Monopoly product and it is pretty blatant copyright infringement. Was he stationed overseas?

Where's the copyright infringement? It doesn't say Monopoly anywhere, and it doesn't look like any property names were re-used. The mechanics of the game of Monopoly itself is essentially in the public domain. They're based on The Landlord's Game, which predates Monopoly by a couple of decades. The Landlord's Game itself might be based on games people were playing in their homes and not invented out of thin air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Vesuvius
msg tools
How would you add it to the database? I would do it just to get some more information out there for anyone else who may have a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
D20geo wrote:
How would you add it to the database? I would do it just to get some more information out there for anyone else who may have a copy.

Top of the page where it says 'Misc' click on the down arrow, then under the 'create' section it says 'Add Board Game'. Just click on that link and fill on the boxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm.

You better ask for quite a lot if you want to get off the welfare.

I am bound by the laws of man (and BGG) not to give you an exact number but start thinking in terms of six digits (but offer free shipping as a courtesy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Henderson
msg tools
Sorry i don't have any information regarding this game. I think this is very old game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimm Hendra
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
It was a real game, However it didn't do well on the market. My dad was the artist who designed the board and the box, Robert Goetter of CRArt Service. He passed away last year and I regretfully do not have a copy. If you are considering selling it I would be interested in purchasing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.