Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few people, here and on FFG's forums, have posted kitting out their X and Y-wings, and there is a sort of tutorial out there, but has anyone done anything else other than repeating Yavin colors?

One poster on the FFG boards has touched up the Y-Wings and added real guns to the model to make the Ion cannons stand out better.

Anyone think of other ways to customize the fighters, if you had the desire to?

Because I want to do squadron organizing, I thought about replicating the X-Wing and TIE fighter games and switching out the stripes on a future rebel flight groups once I have 4 of each kind of fighter. So it would be obvious what Blue group, Green group, and all would look like and be some nice visual candy. Plus I wouldn't be bound necessarily to a specific pilot to a specific X-Wing.

TIE fighters aren't an issue at all since TIEs are never decorated. I guess the red stripe across some of the wings is an option for some people (or rebel sigils over the panels on captured craft), but part of the appeal for me regarding TIEs was that they were undecorated. I'd just use a squadron assignment chart, matched with numbers, for squad organization

So anyone have any ideas on customizing their models? Anyone crazy enough to smash them apart just to make Uglies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I am done working on My Sentinel shuttle and GR-45 models, I was going to then tackle doing some customization work on the fighters.

Mostly I was just planning on doing 3 X-wings in Red and 3 in Blue stripes, mostly for quick visual identification of squadrons. Same with Gray and Yellow for the Y-Wings.

I'll likely change some of the astromech domes to represent some of the other types.

And will look for some bitz to add the turrets to the Y-Wings.

As you mentioned, not really much to do on the TIEs. I don't really like the red striper, and haven't ever seen anything for squadron markings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
X-wings could have some individual color designs per their descriptions when Wedge took Rogue Squadron out of the NR's keeping for a book in the X-Wing series. There were some descriptions in there somewhere...

And we all know about Baron Soontir Fel's 181st squadron's Bloodstripes on their interceptors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would if I could (but, I'm not very good at that sort of thing). If I knew someone who would do it for me I'd probably do something with Luke and Wedge (and maybe all of Rogue Squadron).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only seen custom X-Wing paint jobs, adding ranks (Red 5, Red 4, etc).

There's not a whole lot of customization I can think I'd want to do with these ships...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find a few crazy Rogue squadron X-Wing paint schemes over here...

I know of at least two schemes you can do for the A-Wing... The Action fleet Green repaint and the concept art scheme.

I know there's not much for the Y-wings, but at least you can color the bars grey like in the card artwork for anyone in grey squadron...

I was just curious if anyone was looking at this kind of potential. But I suppose the mini customizing and painting crowd isn't looking at X-Wing because all the models are pre-painted and pre-assembled? What about the few people who've been saying the models are 'turds that need polishing'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be making a teeny tiny Old Ben Kenobi to sit on the wing of Luke's X-Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Terrill
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some really nice X-Wing and Y-Wing repaints on this thread in the FFG forum. I especially like the droids and brass pipes on the Y-Wing. If I trusted myself enough not to ruin mine, I'd totally do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Er... I referenced that in my OP Gregor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Terrill
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
Er... I referenced that in my OP Gregor...

Haha oops! Reading is hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.