Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my intellect is apparently no match for those of the RSP heavy hitters such as Trey Stone and Josh Rea, I've decided to move the goalposts (to use the parlance of our times) and proposition all you wimps with a fitness challenge.

Starting today and ending November 14th which conveniently matches up with the start of BGG.con.

Post your goals here and then post your progress as you see fit.

I'm headed to the gym right now for the first time in months to get a jump on all you weenies.

Now who's with me?!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting in a classroom eating a bagel and drinking my second black-eye of the morning. I think I might be falling behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My goal: To bench press at least three consecutive repetitions free weight on a barbell equal to my body weight. In order to achieve this goal within 30 days I'll have to both lose weight and gain strength.

Current weight: Approximately 250 lbs
Current bench press maximum lift: Estimated 225 because I just did ten reps of 185. I don’t want to try for max while I’m not used to it. Now the right side of my neck hurts because stretching is strictly for losers.

Your goals don't have to resemble mine. Just pick something you'll have to work hard at to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I'm sitting in a classroom eating a bagel and drinking my second black-eye of the morning. I think I might be falling behind.

You'll get your second black eye the second time you talk back to me in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit. Now I need a neck massage from Chad or BJ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up until June, I had a good slope going on my weight loss, but I've been stuck 225-ish since then. Let's see if I can get to 215 by then.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good way to track weight and exercise, I really like loseit.com. There's an app, too, but I'm too much of a Luddite to have a smart phone*, so I use the website.

*ok, really, I'm just too cheap. Work pays for cell phone, but no data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100 push-ups is really difficult if you're doing them properly. Good goal, guys.

Keep in mind, a narrow stance works more arm (triceps) and a wider stance works more chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I´m in. I don´t have a pull-up bar in my new flat (yet), so my pull-ups have gotten sloppy in the past year.. Let´s get me back to, say, 15 pull-ups in good form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be doing the 1500 yard sitting in the couch whatching the telly. I am olympic level at it (but to be honest I do walk about close to a mile a day).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Up until June, I had a good slope going on my weight loss, but I've been stuck 225-ish since then. Let's see if I can get to 215 by then.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good way to track weight and exercise, I really like loseit.com. There's an app, too, but I'm too much of a Luddite to have a smart phone*, so I use the website.

*ok, really, I'm just too cheap. Work pays for cell phone, but no data.

I've been using Fitocracy. It's got an RPG element of leveling up, and specific quests (e.g. cycle 100 km, cumulative) that you can shoot for.

I don't think I'll get to 100 pushups by the con, but I tend to do slow-form push ups, all the way down, all the way up. In 3 sets, I did like 20, 7, and 4 last night. My end of the year goal has been to develop enough upper body strength to do the monkey bars at my kid's playground. I feel like my goal would be easier to accomplish if I lived on a gigantic boat with nothing to do but work out or drink at McDonalds's, watching CNN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
I feel like my goal would be easier to accomplish if I lived on a gigantic boat with nothing to do but work out or drink at McDonalds's, watching CNN.

Yep, McDonalds helps a lot! High protein or something.

Actually, I just had a Muscle Milk, chicken breast, and Canadian bacon (you know, ham) for breakfast. Hoorah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I walked about 3/4 mile this morning after dropping my kids off for classes, and I'll be walking 3/4 mile back to retrieve them after I load up on coffee. The things I do to keep a parking space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I'm fat. I was 220 lbs back then: http://www.bremertonpatriot.com/lifestyle/53164757.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently in a gentle, loving, subtle manner my wife has made statements to the effect that I'm a disgusting fat fuck. Thus I'm back on the exercise train. I call this "Operation: Marital Bed."

I ran three miles four times over the last five days, in one case pushing 75 pounds of children in a stroller (this actually adds only marginal difficulty).

Chit Chat held a 100 push-up challenge a few years back. There is a MB for it and everything. I'm now officially retired from push-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll plunk something down. 30 pushups (in one set) and 50 crunches. My biggest weakness is core strength.

One thing about Seattle is that the number of Crossfit centers seems to have grown to about 1:3 for every coffee shop and maybe 1:1 for every tattoo/piercing place. There's now one about 3 blocks from my house...

Edit: Goddamn, Crossfit is expensive. $2000/year. Fuck that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
My goal: To bench press at least three consecutive repetitions free weight on a barbell equal to my body weight. In order to achieve this goal within 30 days I'll have to both lose weight and gain strength.

Current weight: Approximately 250 lbs
Current bench press maximum lift: Estimated 225 because I just did ten reps of 185. I don’t want to try for max while I’m not used to it. Now the right side of my neck hurts because stretching is strictly for losers.

Your goals don't have to resemble mine. Just pick something you'll have to work hard at to achieve.

My body weight is probably around three bills these days. I haven't benched that much since high school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I haven't benched that much since high school.

It's painful to think about how awesome we were in high school compared to now, isn't it? When I was 16 I weighed 165 and I was repping sets of 225.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

I ran three miles four times over the last five days, in one case pushing 75 pounds of children in a stroller (this actually adds only marginal difficulty).

I haaaaate jogging with a stroller. I can't ever distract myself from the fact that I'm jogging, like I can when I'm sans stroller. It just makes the whole endeavor feel like work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not onboard yet watch the Wallace speech one more time and imagine that by defeating your gut you will defeat the filthy English.

NO MORE PRIMA NOCTA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

I haaaaate jogging with a stroller. I can't ever distract myself from the fact that I'm jogging, like I can when I'm sans stroller. It just makes the whole endeavor feel like work.
It adds marginal physical difficulty, but significant psychic difficulty with the endless discussions of being hungry or bored or thirsty or how someone's socks are hurting them or needing to go potty when ten minutes earlier the suggesting of going potty was taken with great offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I haven't benched that much since high school.

It's painful to think about how awesome we were in high school compared to now, isn't it? When I was 16 I weighed 165 and I was repping sets of 225.

Yeah. My senior year I pushed three reps at 375 when we did max testing for football, and I was seventy pounds lighter than I am now. Getting old fat fucking sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
375 surprise

Good thing you don't do that anymore because I owe you a slap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
If you're not onboard yet watch the Wallace speech one more time and imagine that by defeating your gut you will defeat the filthy English.

NO MORE PRIMA NOCTA!

Fight, and you may die. Run and you'll live.

I didn't even watch the video. I just remember the speech. (If it's the same part of the movie I'm thinking of, anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
375 surprise

Good thing you don't do that anymore because I owe you a slap.

I was a big kid. I kicked ass on bench press and deadlifts. My balance is terrible though, so my squats and olympic lifts sucked. I don't think I ever got over 135 on hang cleans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I count as a heavy hitter? o.O

Sure thing on the fitness thing though. I get to start back up my fitness stuff monday(was recovering from Whooping Cough, fun!) I want to get back up to jogging 8 miles 3x a week, I was at 6 back in september, but I'm imagining this lung-rot hasn't helped.

Other fitness goals include losing about 20 lbs to get back down to 165, though I'd settle for 170.

Getting up to the 3 set 15 rep 50lb curls is another goal, I was up to 10 reps per set, but then life/moving got in the way. So, that.

Those're three nice goals. I figure 2 of the 3 should be easy. Losing the weight is a pain when you work around good food all day >.>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.