United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I played a game as Mechanema vs. Hydran on Vassal last night.

I(Mechanema) lost 45 to 33, but was winning on the start of round 9. Poop.

The Hydran economy was out of control with insane science. He kept drawing hexes with very little money or mineral but tons of science. I think he was getting 12 science on the start of turn 4.

I got good money and mineral systems but no science.

With his low actions, he was passing early and always getting the first research, and therefore denying me power and weapons. All the power and nearly all the weapons.

So, I had tons of ships, but he had just enough minerals to build JUST enough fleet to always beat me.

Turn 1 he played first buying the Neutron bombs and Gauss Shield. There was nothing else I could afford that turn. Those bombs were important as they were the only one to come up until turn 9.

For me, on turns 1 and 2, I explored rings 3 and 2, pushing for ancients/discoveries etc. I found the Conformal Drive and a Cruiser with 2 different tiles with discovery on it. I Kept the Conformal but took the VP on the Cruiser since I had decent minerals.

On turn 2 I had built a Dreadnaught and upgraded it with 2 positrons and the nuclear energy.

I actually played first turn 2 and got the Advanced Robotics that just came up. Then on turn 2 and again on 3, I was able to kill 3 ancients total. I felt like I was doing great. I had Conformal Drive and I had earned 8 VP in Discovery already. Not to mention the battle reputation.

On turn 4 I began exploring towards the center. I could not afford to let Hydran Turtle so long. But I didn't have enough ship to go in. No hulls and no power, so I explored ring 1 towards Hydran. I used a move action to get my Dreadnaught into the action as well.

On his turns he had such low action and minerals that he just kept buying Tech. He would research and then explore once and then pass. There were a couple of other explores/upgrades in there too. Bottom line, he was able to maximize the Hydran's racial ability this way.

By turn 5 he had 2 dreadnaughts and a cruiser that were totally tricked with big power big weapons and great hulls. He had the only improved hull, the only power sources, and he had huge guns on the ships. Each ship had both Plasma Missiles and Antimatter cannon.

They were arrayed at his choke point and he kept counter exploring so I couldn't flank him. Blocking the wormhole access is what I mean.

As of turn 4 and 5, no power had come up so I couldn't outfit my ships in any way to fight. If I moved into the center, he would just counter move in and then crush me. What little science I had, I had spent on Plasma Cannon and Advanced Mining. I bought that to deny it to him. His low minerals was the only thing keeping me in the game. He got his Advanced Robotics in here too.

So, long story short, he then moved on me and blew the crap out of me with his totally tricked out ships that I had no hope to fight against.

On 6 or 7 he bought the Quantum Grid and started out maneuvering me. He took the center which was now his new choke point and then fanned in on me. He got a cruiser in the Discovery, which he kept and used. I was actually winning until that Turn 9 set of battles where he killed and burned down 3 systems.

In one battle, his 3 ships killed my 5 taking NO damage (2 dreads, 1 cruiser, 2 Ints.) He used a missile salvo followed with a high initiative set of Antimatter cannons. Dead ships for me. In the other 2, I pinned him but still lost 2 v 1 (2 Cruisers) and 1 v 1. Same story there.

So, moral of the story, in a 2 Player game, power is God. 2P games by their nature are very aggressive, so if you can't field ships capable of fighting, you are doomed. Combat rules the 2P games and I came to fight with a bunch of Paper Tigers that got their hineys blown out of the galaxy.

Anybody have any advice for a strategy when you have NO power in a 2p game? This is around my 30th game but I have not thought of an answer to this problem.

I did an artifact key/monolith build in the last turn but it wasn't enough. I just couldn't save those systems.

I lost systems that were 3, 3, and a 2. That moved me down 8. He went up 3 by influencing one of them. AND then his reputation that he earned in those fights was like 7 or so. That netted him his victory.

All hail to the fighting Hydrans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GB;

So, do you find that Eclipse plays well as 2P?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have moved all of my interceptors into the center and just pinned him there.

He would have counter moved I think, but I THINK I could have done that.

I would have lost everything, but less opportunity cost and I would have kept those systems then. Damn I am dumb.

Low power = the interceptor pin and sack strategy. File that one away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

GB;

So, do you find that Eclipse plays well as 2P?

LOVE IT 2P. I love it more at 4 or so, but at 2P my buddy who crushed me and I have played the HELL out of this game.

LOVE IT. I am obsessed with this game. So much so I post thoughts about getting crushed, and then brood on it for days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Eclipse is EXCELLENT as a 2player game. Anyone who thinks its too luck based should try a 1v1. A good opponent will keep you on your toes the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I was the Hydran Player here...greatest Ship Configuration EVER.

To be fair...I usually lose.

I don't know how many 2P games we've played--lost count, but it sure seems to work well, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
demonhanz wrote:
Eclipse is EXCELLENT as a 2player game. Anyone who thinks its too luck based should try a 1v1. A good opponent will keep you on your toes the whole game.

I'm also liking 2p more and more, mainly for the reason that it avoids kingmaking. Luck may sometimes skew it too far to one side, but even then at least the losing player can just concede without an issue. Any larger player count games can get wrecked if there are players of greatly different skill levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAM1138 wrote:
Hello,

I was the Hydran Player here...greatest Ship Configuration EVER.

To be fair...I usually lose.

I don't know how many 2P games we've played--lost count, but it sure seems to work well, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

KAM

That was the best ship EVAR. Too much for me to handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO

in a 2v2 p game, if you have material advantage early you MUST make use of it as soon as possible.

Your game mirrors a game i had with my buddy, he went Mechma and i went Hydran and i had loads of research, he had all the materials.

There was a point around turn 5 where his material dominance should've been able to steam roll me with his uber dreads but he hesitated and kept exploring (even though he had the center), giving me a round to bolster my defenses. i used my Artifact key (4 artifacts) to tech into missiles and computers and after that he had no chance of taking away my sectors. He tried on the next round and got unceremoniously destroyed. In the end i was able to hold my worlds, finish 2 out of 3 tech trees and take his home world all on the last turn.

I won 34-33.

Material advantage early (especially with better econ) must be used to destroy turtles with sheer volume.

there are races that cannot be allowed to sit back and advance. Hydran, Planta and Draco are those, in 2p games you will only see Hydran and you have to punish them early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.