Subject: Are the "rare/unique" cards required? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at buying a core set, hard to find I know, but I have picked up someone's cast-offs, they bought a couple of sets, took what they wanted and left behind multiple core sets of all the non unique or super cards.
How important are those cards, like SanSan or Troubleshooter? I have enough cards to build 4 decks that can be run concurrently due to the multiple sets of neutral cards.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good thread about what you want to know:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/868849/what-cards-really...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having the consoles for the Runners might hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
And Data Dealer. That card is pretty much an auto-include.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malefact wrote:
Starhawk77 wrote:

Taken a few too many Stimhacks recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
I have been looking at buying a core set, hard to find I know, but I have picked up someone's cast-offs, they bought a couple of sets, took what they wanted and left behind multiple core sets of all the non unique or super cards.
How important are those cards, like SanSan or Troubleshooter? I have enough cards to build 4 decks that can be run concurrently due to the multiple sets of neutral cards.
Chris

You should be alright with just what you have, but you will feel the impact of some cards. The consoles for the runners, corporate troubleshooter, Aesop's Pawnshop (though there is some debate on this card). Did he give you the tokens for one of the sets as well? You could play without them, but they have a nice quality to them and I would hate to substitute something else for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sinquetica wrote:

I know it's not a good card *now*, but it might be later, you know? The Corp has reasons to forfeit agendas, so maybe the runner will too, eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if FFG gives us 0-point asset-agendas or something along those lines that only exist to be used from the score areas.

Yeah, I agree. I can certainly see this being a tech-able card in the future, but I don't see it being an "auto-include" in any deck at the moment. Which I guess was the thrust of the post? It's the weekend; my sarcasm detecters are all wonky.

0-point agendas would be cool. More of an excuse to run Archer

Hdnggrnchrg wrote:

Taken a few too many Stimhacks recently?

Nah man, it's gotta be 'Drine (TM) or nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sinquetica wrote:
The Corp has reasons to forfeit agendas, so maybe the runner will too, eventually.
There's a significant difference though, in that the Corp gets to choose the Agendas in their decks. The runner is at the mercy of the random Corp, and if they find that all the Corp agendas are 2 or 3 points, any forfeit cards they included are going to look a lot less appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Yeah, Data Dealer is absolutely *terrible* right now if you're not playing against NBN or Weyland.

2 clicks and 1 agenda point for 9 credits is a bad enough deal as it is and that doesn't even include what you had to spend to steal the agenda.

2 clicks and 2/3 agenda points for 9 credits? I'd be willing, as the corp, to *pay* the Runner to use Data Dealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
kaic,
yeah he gave me a sheet of tokens, which I think will add a bit of flavour to the game. after a complete inventory I'm short 2 corp neutral cards, so if it comes to it I may buy after all, but I'm going to teach it to a few people one on one, and may proxy (gasp) those two cards to get the teaching going. Hopefully I may be able to entice a player or two into buying a core.
Thanks for the comments.

It's funny, when asking a simple honest question, some people decide to answer with some kind of inside joke or sarcasm. How the hell is someone who is asking a complete newbie question supposed to tell if someone's taking the piss? smacks of the same kind of elitist inside crap you find at magic forums and shops. I wasn't asking if a unique card was good, bad, indifferent, just how much they are needed in general. ( rant over)

Thanks for all the genuine help.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
It's funny, when asking a simple honest question, some people decide to answer with some kind of inside joke or sarcasm. How the hell is someone who is asking a complete newbie question supposed to tell if someone's taking the piss? smacks of the same kind of elitist inside crap you find at magic forums and shops. I wasn't asking if a unique card was good, bad, indifferent, just how much they are needed in general. ( rant over)

No need to sweat it, dude. The comment over Data Dealer was more aimed inside the community, as the majority of us find it a rather underpowered card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, I found it frustrating, but I'm over it. Apologies for the mini rant.

I've looked over some of the missing cards in CardgameDB and I must admit, Data Dealer is unappetizing at the moment. I'm falling in the camp that it must be a setup for something in a future block. Things like that happen a fair bit in M:TG. The only reasons to have this included is to get ready for a big run where you can hopefully make a net gain on agenda pts, or to recover from a resource attack by the corp due to a Tag.

I still haven't played this yet , so I may be totally wrong. I'm pretty poor in the card prediction dept.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.