Subject: When building a squad/choosing upgrade cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
msg tools
badge
Kicking Down The Door
mbmbmbmb
I set up a game today and to save time chose pilots and upgrades for both sides, then let the other guy pick which side he wanted when he arrived.

It occurred to me while setting up though - What would happen if we were both trying to set up our own squads? How do you resolve disputes on who gets first choice on what upgrade cards?

Also some cards seem like they're obviously for TIE fighters but there's nothing I can see that prohibits their use on an x-wing?

What gives? Am I missing something? No one else seems to be asking this question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically you should each build only with what you own.

Practically for friendly games just proxy anything you don't have enough of. Or draft. Whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question has been asked before. I'm not looking for the other threads. Some notes and thoughts.

- A pilot\ship can only take an upgrade if it has the appropriate icon on its card. Otherwise, no limitation in regard to an upgrade belonging to one side or another. Even if the picture would suggest otherwise. This may change with future releases where the card text limits it to one side but I don't recall any of the current cards doing this. And I am not suggesting that this will ever occur.

- Unless you are playing in a tournament, I don't see why it matters that you have one card for each pilot you want to give that upgrade to. Just proxy or note somehow which pilot has an upgrade.

- If you want to be official and demand that a unique card is available for each use, then just work it out with each player as to how you want to divide them up. You could set up some kind of draft easily. Not sure why you would want to go through that hassle but it sounds like some people want to follow the rule of unique cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the upgrade icons are only available for one side i.e. droids, proton torpedos and ion Canon for rebels , cluster and concussion missiles for the imperial forces.
For leader (medal) abilities the cards limit the options e.g. you would only have 1 squad leader per side. I have two core sets which in the absence of any ruling provides more choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In tournament play, everyone uses their own copies of the game, so this wouldn't be an issue except for Unique Upgrade Cards. For example, the Squad Leader is unique, and so should not be used on both sides, but if you're bringing your own components then there's nothing really to prevent this. Also, in tournament, Rebel vs Rebel matches can happen, so unique pilots and upgrades could be duplicated.

So, in a friends game where you're sharing components, I don't think it's a big deal to proxy cards as deemed necessary. We've never come across this situation though, since I own multiple copies of everything, and there's plenty of cards to go around.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
For example, the Squad Leader is unique, and so should not be used on both sides,

I always figured squad leader was unique per-side (and I would assume all unique cards work that way).

I doesn't make sense that only one side can have a squad leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
shnar wrote:
For example, the Squad Leader is unique, and so should not be used on both sides,

I always figured squad leader was unique per-side (and I would assume all unique cards work that way).

I doesn't make sense that only one side can have a squad leader.

I think that is correct. Of course, that's the only card with that issue (barring mirror matches) because the only other unique cards are astromechs which the imps can't have anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Where are you seeing that any upgrade is unique? If you have multiples of a card (like Determination) from purchasing an expansion, then two players could take that as their pilot upgrade. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noodlemans wrote:
Where are you seeing that any upgrade is unique? If you have multiples of a card (like Determination) from purchasing an expansion, then two players could take that as their pilot upgrade. Am I missing something?

Squad Leader and the "Hero" astromechs like R2-D2 have a dot by their name. That makes them unique, like Luke Skywalker or another named (non-generic) pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
noodlemans wrote:

Squad Leader and the "Hero" astromechs like R2-D2 have a dot by their name. That makes them unique, like Luke Skywalker or another named (non-generic) pilot.

This. It's the "dot" in the name that makes them unique.

Most upgrades are not unique, but some are:
- R2-F2 (base game)
- R2-D2 (base game)
- Squad Leader (TIE Advanced expansion)
- R5-K6 (X-Wing expansion)
- R5-D8 (Y-Wing expansion)

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadeth Kadeth
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
For example, the Squad Leader is unique, and so should not be used on both sides

Page 18 of the English rules. "A player cannot field two or more cards that share the same unique name. In a team game this limit applies to each team"

Page 3 of the Tournament rules. "Each player may field cards with unique
names even if his opponent is using a card with the same unique name."

These indicate that unique cards like Squad Leader may be present on both sides if there are enough copies available (or proxies if allowed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought, just wasn't sure where in the rules it was. Thanks for the actual references.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, I never noticed that before. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.