GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,263 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a quandary playing through Massing at Osgiliath. I forgot stage 3 required a ranger, so had to play a few turns with zero questing and rising threat, then a ranger turned up.

The ranger tells me to take control of him, exhausted and committed to the quest. 3B states to commit characters I need to discard a hero or ranger.

Do I have to discard the ranger to commit the ranger to the quest, as I'm not committing him, he is committing himself because I'm past the committing step.

If I do have to discard him I would then have to discard every ranger before they have any effect, so the only way out of stage 3 when entering it with no ranger would require discarding a hero, which seems a bit too harsh.

I played that I didn't need to discard him, and got his 2 questing for free. As the staging area only had a 1 threat location in it, the ranger got me over and continued to be a useful ally on the far shore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you played it right. The quest card says you must discard a hero or Ranger to commit characters to the quest, but when the Ranger enters play, it is already committed to the quest. In other words, you are not choosing to commit the Ranger to the quest, so I don't think the quest card effect applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
AdmiralACF wrote:
when the Ranger enters play, it is already committed to the quest.

This would create problems with spirit version of Bofur, who also enters play exhausted and committed to quest if played from hand.

I would say Ranger comes into play exhausted, and tries to commit to quest, but he cannot since no Ranger or hero has been sacrificed, and cannot conditions usually wins against can conditions almost everytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, to me it is clear reading the rules that both Ranger and Bofur can contribute their willpower even if no hero or Ranger had been discarded. Players do not commit them, they are commited. In a similar fashion you can make locations active via the effect of Thror's Map despite the fact you cannot travel to them. It is not exactly logical but it goes with the wording of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.