Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What are you thinking about getting during GMT's Fall Sale? Make your case or ask for advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest news is that the GMT Fall Sale is only a few weeks away. Late October seems to be the target period.

In the past, the sale has amounted to 50% off in stock games with a limit based on your delivered P500 orders earlier in the year. Take that number and add one and you get the total number of games you could order at 50%.

For me, I've had Bloody April and Andean Abyss delivered so I'd be eligible for three games at 50% off if tradition holds.

I'm starting to put my list together and this is what I have in my consideration set so far:

: The Battle for Normandy - Not sure if this is really still in print though

: Space Empires - Played it, liked it, but all my friends have it. Not convinced I need it too.

: Serpents of the Seas - Have my eyes on some of these older naval games

: Panzer $72 - A lot of raves for this one, but not sure I need another tactical WWII game as I am fully invested, and really like, Conflict of Heroes

: Next War Korea $85 - I passed on this when it was P500 as the complexity concerned me. Now that it is out, maybe I take the plunge

: 1805 Sea of Glory $ 59 - Another naval option

: Flying Colors $60 - Probably in the lead for me among the naval games I have listed here

: Elusive Victory $55 - I'm loving Bloody April and this uses a similar system. However, just picked up Downtown at an auction so maybe too much from one system

: Ardenne 44 $55 - More raves for this than you can shake a stick at. Price is right too

: Twilight in the East $107 - Probably my backup for a monster game if I can't get my hands on The Battle for Normandy

How's that for a list?

Gun to my head and without considering $$, I'm probably most interested in The Battle for Normandy, Flying Colors, and Next War . . . wait . . . Adrenne . . . wait . . . Elusive Victory . . . awww, shucks!

What are you guys thinking about?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see...this year my P500's included Panzer and its two expansions as well as Andean Abyss. I believe that will entitle me to 4+1 games at 50% off.

My selections would include...
1) Combat Commander: Resistance!
2) Combat Commander: Battle Pack #2 – Stalingrad
3) Combat Commander: Battle Pack #3 – Normandy
4) Combat Commander: Pacific
5) Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division

That will nearly complete my CC collection (will just be missing New Guinea)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about Andean Abyss, and possibly Panzer + expansions. I might grab some sale items too. I've also been interested in getting some more GBoH titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
My P500s were Ardennes '44 and Next War: Korea. So that's 2+1=3 for me.

I'll probably go with Andean Abyss for one, and also one I have been on the fence about since it's release Case Yellow, 1940: The German Blitzkrieg in the West. (50% off will push me over the fence.)

For my third I am unsure. Being mostly a solitaire player, Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914, and Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 are very appealing.

But Washington's War is so darn pretty even though it's not very solitaire friendly, and I don't currently own any Mark Herman games.

Other runner ups are Wilderness War, Pursuit of Glory, and Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend The Battle for Normandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at CC: Mediterranean and Crown of Roses. However, between being laid off and discovering mold and water leaking into my family room, I'll probably have to pass this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both expansions for Panzer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have a list of what games shipped in '12?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:

For my third I am unsure. Being mostly a solitaire player, Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914, and Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 are very appealing.

Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 is a lot of fun, I'd recommend that one. I've seen it for sale quite cheaply in the UK so I'd probably go for something where I'll get more bang for my buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto Fu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
Anyone have a list of what games shipped in '12?

GMT 2012 Releases page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games I want are currently on the P500 page.

This year I'm jumping onto the C&C Ancients bandwagon and getting the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about Bloody April, No retreat, and 1805. Trying not to look until the sale is actually on, so I don't get worked up into a sale frenzy and over buy.

Edit: or maybe try and fill out the Combat Commander Collection with a couple of battle Packs.

Edit: Panzer looks good as well.

Damn it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:
Most of the games I want are currently on the P500 page.

This year I'm jumping onto the C&C Ancients bandwagon and getting the base game.

Ohhh, I forgot about Ancients and Napoleonics. Lots of good choices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

New version of Blackbeard, maybe Winds of Plunder... because I already have all their current line-up of games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am considering Combat Commander: Mediterranean and/or some of the smaller CC expansions.

Others under the microscope include Infidel and Crown of Roses, but we shall see.

All depends on the cost of shipping north of the border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody April wil be my pick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely enough, nearly all the GMT games I'm interested in are still in the P500 pipeline. I only got one P500'd game this year, but next year there'll probably be a flood of 'em.

Still, Crown of Roses looks interesting even though I know I'd never get a chance to play it. Might get it just to study it. Or maybe Red Winter which I could play solitaire . . .

Or maybe I'll restrain myself and put that money towards paying for next year's inundation of GMT games . . . that might help keep me on my beloved wife's good side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My list is probably:

Ardennes '44
1989: Dawn of Freedom

There may be more, but it depends if GMT counts their November shipments in the check. I've got 3 of the four games there pre-ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BarryRoy wrote:
Bloody April wil be my pick!

Awesome choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about the sale titles! I might be able to swing something from there. One or two of those titles look like they might appeal to my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I have five p500 credits - assuming it is the same sale (40-50% off for P500 users this year)

Panzer and all its Current Expansions
Normandy '44
Bloody April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crown of Roses perhaps. I already have the columbia game though, so comments around here and on the internets in general would have to convince me to trade up.
Also it depends on postage to UK, and if i'd pay import tax, as that might make just purchasing it from a store over here cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
I have five p500 credits - assuming it is the same sale (40-50% off for P500 users this year)

Panzer and all its Current Expansions
Normandy '44
Bloody April.

Normandy '44 is out of print and therefore not in stock unfortunately. It is on P500 for re-print though!

Use this link for in-stock items:

http://www.gmtgames.com/s-3-in-stock-games.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking about getting Vae Victis's Lion and the Sword. Can anyone comment on this game. It seams to be a great tactical game featuring the crusade era and the the conflict between the templars and the saracens. Also Ted Raicer's Barbarossa to Berlin seams to be a good choise, sice I already own the mounted mapboard.

And I have been eyeing at SPQR delux. I have mixed feelings about SPQR, since it seams to be heavy on the rules side but I hope someone here can clarify this issue. So happy hunting for all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1989: Dawn of Freedom
Space Empires: Close Encounters
Crown of Roses watching for reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.