Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived today in great shape and with the promos. Can't wait to play it. Worth the wait and the money paid easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Hunky-dory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened my copy. Excited to play tomorrow as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
United States
flag msg tools
Needs salt and some type of dipping sauce.

Fun, like it, glad I bought it... But there is something missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it was your expectations that are wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived yesterday and we were able to play couple games. I thought it was great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
United States
flag msg tools
rickert wrote:
Perhaps it was your expectations that are wrong.

Perhaps but I think the game is very much as I expected it to be. As I said, I enjoy it. My opinion is that within this there is still something missing. Examples: ways to swap weapons, swap characters, add/ subtract boasts... The game is wide open for expansion cards. There are currently some utility cards that offer healing, toughness, gold and these could easily be expanded in variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why it is necessary for the game to do more than it does especially when it is just barely out of the box? Also not sure any expansions are planned. Not every game needs them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
United States
flag msg tools
rickert wrote:
Not sure why it is necessary for the game to do more than it does especially when it is just barely out of the box? Also not sure any expansions are planned. Not every game needs them.

Why not? Part of playing a game is experiencing it, exploring it and making observations. I've provided mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iBlinked wrote:
rickert wrote:

Why not? Part of playing a game is experiencing it, exploring it and making observations. I've provided mine.

It's just that in my mind, you haven't explored it. You've read the dust jacket and then told the world what's wrong with the way the book is written. In my opinion it only takes a couple of plays to know whether you like a game. But, again in my view, it takes more plays than that to proclaim how to fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
United States
flag msg tools
rickert wrote:
iBlinked wrote:
rickert wrote:

It's just that in my mind, you haven't explored it. You've read the dust jacket and then told the world what's wrong with the way the book is written. In my opinion it only takes a couple of plays to know whether you like a game. But, again in my view, it takes more plays than that to proclaim how to fix it.

No real disagreement on that but where do you see me proclaiming "it's broken" or I know how to "fix it". Seems to me you are projecting something onto a simple personal expression of observation. As a journalist you surely understand the value of opinion. They are free for a reason.... Everyone has one.

Just as with any book, or movie; you form opinions immediately based upon the experience; even before the journey is complete. We will continue to play the game and do enjoy it but our observations still stand. Perhaps they will change over time but just as someone would post saying their experience is great after only a handful of plays, it is equally appropriate to post opinions saying it wasn't so great or was good and needs something more. They are all expressions of experience and I fail to see your challenge with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go Chris. I sometimes forget what I wrote in a long thread.
"Examples: ways to swap weapons, swap characters, add/ subtract boasts..."

Please point out to me where I challenge your right to have an opinion about the game please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
United States
flag msg tools
rickert wrote:
Here you go Chris. I sometimes forget what I wrote in a long thread.
"Examples: ways to swap weapons, swap characters, add/ subtract boasts..."

Please point out to me where I challenge your right to have an opinion about the game please?

So you interpret that as "fixing".

Interesting, in our family that falls firmly into "wouldn't it be cool if.." category of discussion. I see that more of, as originally stated "adding salt and dipping sauce." If those are firm statements of "the game is broken and I know how to fix it" might I suggest that, again, you are projecting onto my statement versus reading it for what it is. Personalizing experiences is simply part of any media consumption.

Your context perhaps is not so much attempting to attack the right to have an opinion so much as it attacks the opinion itself. You seem focused on invalidating an opinion because, in your words we "haven't explored it".

And in all seriousness, this is way too heavy a conversation for a game entitled "Gauntlet of Fools".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a difference between disagreeing with your opinion and saying you don't have a right to it.

You said the game was missing something and then reeled off about 3 things. That is definitely you saying this game would be better if those things existed. How is that different than suggesting a fix? If you hadn't first said it was missing something then it could indeed have just been a wish list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
United States
flag msg tools
rickert wrote:
Quite a difference between disagreeing with your opinion and saying you don't have a right to it.

You said the game was missing something and then reeled off about 3 things. That is definitely you saying this game would be better if those things existed. How is that different than suggesting a fix? If you hadn't first said it was missing something then it could indeed have just been a wish list.

You play at semantics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games. Words are serious business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
United States
flag msg tools
...words are often only serious business from those that take themselves too seriously.

Words are games too. Ask any politician...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iBlinked wrote:
...words are often only serious business from those that take themselves too seriously.

Words are games too. Ask any politician...

Since you ran out of pertinent points and are now just resorting to insults, I'll ignore the rest of your posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.