Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just getting back into this game after not playing it for a few months and am really impressed again by how much fun it is.

Any interest in getting a little friendly tourny going while we all wait for more info on Nimitz?

I'm thinking we each play the same scenario 3 times during a week and then move on to the next. Scoring would be something like 0-3 points per game based on Loss/Inferior/Historical/Superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested but playing 3 times in a single week seems a bit too much for me.

Why exactly do you suggest playing the same scenario 3 times? I would enjoy playing 3 different ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly to eliminate the luck factor a little and to get more than 11 plays in.

Originally I thought one game a week, but I figured people would think that was a little slow.

I'm open to adjusting the schedule to whatever people are happy with as long as there's a visit to each of the scenarios in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I'll follow this thread to see how things develop...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard Kevin.

Just need one more person and it looks like we can do this. I'll probably wait a week to see if we can get a larger group.

OK, so it looks like it'll be one game/result a week. We'll move to the next scenario either after 7 days, or by mutual consent after everyone's reported a result for the current scenario.

To keep things simple and avoid having to use an honor system, if people want (and have time) to play a few more games, just report them all. It's the single best result that will count. I'll probably end up doing a practice run on a scenario during the week and then the real game on the weekend for most of them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too much traffic in here which is a bit of a shame. Was hoping for one more player at least.

Do you guys feel like doing this in spite of the low turnout? I do.

Maybe it will pick up and generate some new interest in the game as we go. Newer players can catch up if they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, let's kick it off.
Week 1 - 1796

Napoleon marries Josephine and takes command of the weak and poorly equipped Army Of Italy. Outnumbered 50,000 to 37,000, he immediately begins the invasion of Italy he had been advocating for years.

"I have fought sixty battles and I have learned nothing which I did not know at the beginning. Look at Caesar; he fought the first like the last."

We can each do as many plays as we want between now and next Saturday.

Scoring will be
5 points for Superior Victory (I've never gotten one either)
3 points for historical
1 point for Inferior
and 0 for a loss (sadly, always a distinct possibility in this nasty, nasty unfair game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, or you can report them all and I'll pick out the one that gets counted. I'm interested in collecting stats for all the plays actually, just out of personal interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How Embarrassing. Loss in first game.

March 1796 French
Nice -> Turin
Nice -> Savonna

Battle 1 Savonna
FOW (+4) 5 turns Insight: Front
French 6 steps / 24
Enemy 9 steps / 22
French Defeat - Napoleon Present = LOSS

Grrr....that little gambit we all play at the beginning of this one is not a sure thing! I was thinking I would do this one first so that the +4 FOW bonus would not go to Turin where I wanted an envelopment, but it didn't work.

Usually players take a Cav sweep in this one, I think, but it seemed risky because it removes a lot of strength from the board in such an evenly matched battle.

Take 2 in progress.

-----------------------------------

...and done. A convincing superior victory on the replay. Lots of enemy forces left on the board at the end. I kept trying to pull the Austrians into my Napoleon group for a big decisive battle at the end - but they just kept oscillating around Kalgenfurt without guarding the approach effectively. Was able to walk in with two encirclements in a row to get the big win without having to fight.

I'm not 100% sure that the turn marker didn't get knocked off by 1 somewhere in the middle (I'm 90% sure though). We'll score it a historic and I'll play a couple more times during the week to try and repeat the exploit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad....I have 2 more losses in this one to log. Another with the standard opening and one with an experiment where I ignored the Piedmont army, sent everyone to Nice and the forced march 4 units back to help in the defense of Nice.

It's an interesting opening because it lets Napoleon and the big group go directly to Milan in the north on turn 2. Otherwise that city seems to just hang around causing trouble in the midgame. If you can lure the whole Piedmont army into Nice and destroy them it works well...if not, well then it doesn't work too well.

I find a lot of the scenarios in this game have a killer turn. If you get past it you win, otherwise you probably lose. The killer turn in 1796 is definitely turn 1. After that your supply points take over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took forever but it's official...put the finishing touches on a nice superior victory tonight for 5 points.

The ending was epic. I had Napoleon poised for the win. On the next to (hopefully) last turn...three little enemy infantry units manged to sneak into Mantua where I had one of my infantry units guarding. Fire power 8 vs 5 for the Austrians - Steps 5 vs 2 for the Austrians . Battle length = 2. Didn't see any way to actually defeat them but I determined to try and hold and cause as much damage as possible. Knocked out one of them but then got hit with a French retreat. Enemy retakes objective Mantua.

Last French turn. Real dilemna. My Napoleon stack is just big enough to have a chance at Kalgenfurt. But I need to take Mantua back now. I decided not to weaken the main thrust and I re-entered the inf. that was forced to retreat and added another weak inf. from neighboring Genoa which thankfully was not an objective! Firepower 8 vs 6 French advantage, steps 4 v 4. Length 2 turns again. It went to withdrawal once more and this time the Austrians had to leave.

Klagenfurt ended up being one of those fun battles where the sides are roughly evenly matched but everything goes your way and you steamroll the enemy.

Final stats on this scenario: 1 Historical, 1 Superior and 6 Losses (yikes!). Most of the losses however were intentionally playing very aggressively trying to get the Superior win after the early Historical.

Ready to start Egypt on the weekend. I really HATE that one by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to leave Italy and start the great Egyptian adventure. Napoleon undertook this to try and undermine the British economy - I have to check into whether he considered a trip to the colonies in North America instead. Would definitely have been interesting.

I consider the Superior victory in Egypt to be next to impossible, but Napoleon himself has the following to say about that:

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools."

If any new players pop in late and want to jump in, please feel free. This is a nice opportunity to give Field Commander Napoleon a good workout before we all get distracted by Nimitz. We'll start a new battle every Saturday and have a week to submit our best score.

For now, after 1 game, the scores are:

Peter : 5
Kevin : 1 (tentative; may still go up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dvorkin
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thread...I've just cracked this game open, so I don't think I'm ready for a tourney yet, but I was hoping you could help with two Egyptian adventure questions.

First, I feel I must be doing something wrong. Assuming you survive the harsh conditions rolls, it seemed all to easy to envelop the forces in Cairo. Am I missing something?

Second, if you do a some careful marching after enveloping the Mamelukes in Cairo, and are sure to cover your rear in Alexandria for the late arriving ottomans you can purchase enough recruits to make a superior victory pretty easy without ever even going into Jaffa. Do recruits purchased before Oct 1798 who survive the campaign count towards victory? I selfishly assumed so when I awarded myself a superior victory.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must capture and hold Alexandria, Cairo, El Arish, Gaza and Jaffa to win. Your army has to travel all the way to Jaffa, pretty much winning all battles and then rush back to make sure Alexandria does not fall at the end. It's brutally difficult.

Yes, your reinforcements count for 3VP for the purposes of differentiating between superior/inferior victories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.