Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
what can i do to make this look more professorial?

This is my 1st big graphic design attempt.

this is what i have right now but i don't know ,i'm just not happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i want it to have a fantasy flight look, as far as there quality.
I had the idea of the inside of the card looking like a computer window.

this is my non boarder image, my back ground is comic book style art so graphic design is foreign as far as what i know goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy S.
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Color the numbers, it's hard to see them and they blend with the frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Misenheimer
United States
Portville
New York
flag msg tools
Test
First thing I notice is that it's flat. There is no sense of depth or texture. Gradients and shadows can help but use an extremely light touch. The shapes in the corners fade into the background at least they do on my IPhone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some pointers:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grdmonkey wrote:
First thing I notice is that it's flat. There is no sense of depth or texture. Gradients and shadows can help but use an extremely light touch. The shapes in the corners fade into the background at least they do on my IPhone.

Is the flatness in the boarder or the internal image, or well both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Here are some pointers:

wow this is fantastic and a large help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashley Riot wrote:

What do you think a good color would be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
GogTad wrote:
Ashley Riot wrote:

What do you think a good color would be?

Red. This is mostly a black-and-white image, except for the red "x". It makes it stand out a bit. Red numbers would help it blend into the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

im not sold on the red numbers should i do a different font?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Green
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a brighter/paler shade of red and perhaps a thicker font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would stay with white numbers but agree with using a bold font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks good but here are my suggestions:

The background of the image/drawing is backlighting the character. The window lighting has too much bleed and is throwing the contrast off, this is also making it difficult to see the numbers on the card. If it is possible tone down the lights so that it is darker than the white of the characters shirt (perhaps darker).

Next make the white border much thinner, the key is to reduce the amount of white on the card.

With the Numbers us a bold/thicker font and make sure to use a thick black border surrounded by a very thin white border (this will help it to pop). for added contrast add shadow behind the numbers. Keep the Numbers white.

With the hearts put a really thin white border or a very faint white shadow behind it (the key here is contrast).

Just a few thoughts...

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the input guys

what do you think about dropping the back ground all together?
i still have to work on the numbers but the back ground from before was never sitting well with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GogTad wrote:
thanks for the input guys

what do you think about dropping the back ground all together?
i still have to work on the numbers but the back ground from before was never sitting well with me.
I think i like the background that i had better than this but i don't know, it is off to me.

i will play with the lighting and see what i come up with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also concerned with the center art work , do you think it can stand next to games that are out now?
This is a game that i have been working on for a while and i plain on self publishing it or submitting it for publishing,with that said i need the art to be top notch.
I don't claim to be a wiz with photo shop so i don't mind being told what is wrong with the image or if it would just be better to let some one else handle the art and graphic design.
But this will more than likely be self published so i need to keep costs down and don't have $1500-$2000 for game art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I prefer it with a background, but I agree that the white lights are too much. Could you make the lights more blue to see if they still look like lights, but don't drown out the character as much?

Less aesthetically and more functionally, you might want to consider how the cards are being used and what information is most important for players to see. For example, many people hold cards fanned out so the top left corner of each card is visible. I notice you have no numbers up there, but numbers in the bottom corners, which are harder to see. If those numbers aren't as important, it's probably ok to have them down there, but you might as well do something with that valuable real estate in the top left corner!

Another thing to consider is that people might be able to remember what the numbers mean if you add something to distinguish them. That could be a symbol, a background, a label, or distinct colors or sizes. I discovered, when doing the graphic design for businesses in Corporate America, that having numbers close together made it easier for players to remember what they meant, since the color and size difference was more prominent.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
the 1 and 4 need a backing and perhaps some icons to hint what they are, also, the hearts would look good with some kind of effect added to them so they aren't so plain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

center image change
now on to the card boarder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job for your first attempt. Keep up the good work...

1: drop all the shapes behind the white numbers; reduce the number sizes by 50% and add a strong drop shadow (1mm, 1mm at around 90% intensity). They'll stand out just fine on that background.

2: where's the original image and background from? Be careful not to use artwork without permission in your final game (although it's fun to use as a prototype).

3: You might struggle to get 30 images of this quality and variety if your budget is tight as it looks like top-quality illustration.

4: although it's tempting to do this the other way round, work on the game design first and art later. The game market is becoming so saturated with new games now that it's so much more important to have a new mechanic over fancy art if you want to make it big!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GogTad wrote:

center image change
now on to the card boarder
I like this! The colors contrast sufficiently that it doesn't wash out like some of the iterations above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is better but yellow may not be the color. You may want to take the flare out completely or try a very tiny bit of orange (this will make the blue of the jacket pop a bit -contrasting colors).

If you are submitting this for publication you may not want to pour a ton of time/energy into the illustration/graphics. It is probably more important to make sure that the cards are functional (easy to read/understand + proper information). The artwork/illustration is probably secondary to a well written and well implemented game. Publishers may end up hiring artists to re-illustrate anyway.

Good work so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:

4: although it's tempting to do this the other way round, work on the game design first and art later. The game market is becoming so saturated with new games now that it's so much more important to have a new mechanic over fancy art if you want to make it big!

This. You have the cart before the horse here. Crank out functional prototypes with Impact font for the numbers, clip art, marker scribbles, whatever and then playtest like mad. Worry about art after the game system/rules are ready for prime time and you decide about submitting to a publisher or not. Otherwise you could spend hours on this and then find that this cool looking guy isn't even in the final version or you're replacing half the numbers with icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:
Great job for your first attempt. Keep up the good work...

1: drop all the shapes behind the white numbers; reduce the number sizes by 50% and add a strong drop shadow (1mm, 1mm at around 90% intensity). They'll stand out just fine on that background.

2: where's the original image and background from? Be careful not to use artwork without permission in your final game (although it's fun to use as a prototype).

3: You might struggle to get 30 images of this quality and variety if your budget is tight as it looks like top-quality illustration.

All the art is my workings and the game is like 80% finished its still being play tested in beta form like crazy but it is solid for the stage it is at.
My goal is to just get art that is good enough that it wont detract from the game and help get players into the world of the theme.
My over all goal is once i have full art for the demo is to send it out to reviewers and publishers as well as blind play testers.
If no publishers find that they want to take the plunge into the game i will then go the kickstarter rout. Hopefully if it goes that way it will have enough support to reach my goal. Also if i do plane on kickstarting it i will find a artist that will hopefully believe in the game enough to work on it before it is kickstarted and take compensation after.

I would love to do the art my self but i really don't think i am where i need to be , so i would love to have some one do the art but i will do it my self if i have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

i think that i am happy with this now

Tell me what you all think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.