Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: First time - to short for a review, still an opinion => THIS GAME IS +1! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

a friend of mine invited two more friends and me to his first Zombicide game-session. About a week ago he received his Abomination-package. And just a few hours ago we played through the first two official maps - the tutorial and the first regular mission after the tutorial.

The tutorial was pretty easy, simple and kind of funny, 'cause of its size.

But the next map took us about 5h to pass. We played it twice.

Session 1: Big mistake: We did, what you are not supposed to do: We split the party! Yeah, right ... As incredibly fast both small groups went down ... Hilarious!
Session 2: We understood the major importance of sticking together and cooperating as much as possible. And all of a sudden the strategic depth of the game (seriously, am not kidding) was revealed to us. And it went very well for us for quite some time. The very few rules-questions coming up we easily dealt with, and I guess that the number and quality of mistakes was considerable small. Only twice we consciously chose to ignore the "extra activation" of the zeehs out of desperation, because we just wanted to see how things would turn out to be ... And in both times the game became quite easy for about two to three turns ... So finally we stuck with the rules as written.

The game is a blast! It is exactly what I hoped it would be. And NOW I am very sorry that I did not pledge for it myself. And yet I am very happy that a few of my friends have supported this game-project; thus I am in the lucky position to get the opportunity to play the game. It is so awesome ... L4D as a boardgame, the boardgame-version of the apocalyptic tragedies of zombie-movies ... It is so awesome.

I think one of the best things about it is that - although one-and-a-half of the other two friends complained more or less about certain game-mechanics - we actually never realized how time flew ... Playing a game and after the game-session realizing how much time has passed since the first action in game without noticing might be a 'good sign', because this tells us that we were caught in the game and did not care about anything else ... I am still bound by this awesome experience.

Thank you, Guillotine Games and Cool Minis or Not! That's a fine piece of board-game!

Haters hate me for writing this, but maybe others at least understand what I am writing about!

All the best!
Mad

tl;dr - somehowish; some mistakes I could not stand ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddockKrug wrote:
Haters hate me for writing this, but maybe others at least understand what I am writing about!

I think I do. The game has some flaws, but it's still a blast to play and that's what matters the most at the end of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
MaddockKrug wrote:

I think I do. The game has some flaws, but it's still a blast to play and that's what matters the most at the end of the day.

I know I do. The 'flaws' that people complain most loudly about aren't flaws! They're what inject all the atmosphere, and the need for a sound strategy, and tactics, into the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.