GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,525 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Indie art direction how to / tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I have a dark fantasy card game being green lit. Sometime in the near future we will be commissioning up to a couple of hundred art pieces of characters, places and objects. For me quality and coherence within very specific thematic boundaries is key.

Im wondering if anyone has seen some good guidelines for how to go about art direction without actually having an art director. The game will be developed by a small and new games production company with my involvement too.

I am thinking of the following resources to help guide artists;
1. a backgrounder explaining the world, the technology, the peoples, the environments etc etc
2. a spreadsheet with character stats and text abilities and potentially a column about characteristics of characters (i saw daniel solis do one of these for belle of the ball somewhere herehttp://danielsolisblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/variable-data...
3. reference artwork (examples from other artists?)

Any advice or links would be welcome. I am a web development project manager so I have had a lot of experience doing design briefs for web designers and mediating feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you're perfect for being the art director...why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.