Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sanches
Nepal
Lalitpur (Patan) Next to Kathmandu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
Greetings All,

Although he is not finished, you can download the growing Vic (Your 24 Hour Per Day, 7 Day A Week, Up Front Playing, Cyber Dude Friend) at:

http://www.rainbownerd.com/wargaming/vic.html

Simply unzip the file into a folder and play. You can pin Vic's Icon to your Task Bar if you want. The (Pre) Instructions are written with Wordpad.

So, they can be read with Wordpad or Word or Open Office, etc.

It will be 2-4 weeks until a scenario can actually be played. Meanwhile, I do have a couple of questions.

1) Does Vic work on your PC? He is meant to work on a Windows machine and I hope he works on 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7, and 8. I would like to get this straightened out now.

2) Any bugs so far (that I haven't noticed)?

3) Improvements on Initial terrain phase (strategy-wise)? At this time, Vic will still place a Hill on himself, even if you have a Gully. I prefer cycling terrain cards through his hands faster. This was the really fun part. It was the first part of the program to require thinking on Vic's part. It is amazing the amount of data required just to place initial terrain. Fortunately, all that data will be needed later.

Bug reports may be sent to: vic@rainbownerd.com

Onward!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Pretty interesting stuff. I'll have to check this out.

Thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand what this is. Is it supposed to be a computer opponent for UF? If so how does it know what cards are in his hand or which one is coming next when he draws one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Michael, any news on when you're going to get this into Java and make it cross-platform?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Nepal
Lalitpur (Patan) Next to Kathmandu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
It will be a few years until Java. But, cheapo windows laptops come in real handy - even an old Windows 98 or XP laptop.

I have started a Manual and included it in the newest upload. Making a manual is tedious, and not nearly as fun as programming. But, I can now see how necessary it is. Now I know why so many games have incomplete manuals. But, I want my manual to be as cool as Vic will be. It will grow with Vic, with an occasional reorganization. So, each update of Vic will have a Manual Update as well.

Happy gaming!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Villinger
Germany
Stendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! I will give it a go later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.