Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All these cards say to use a target lock to fire them. but do you still get to re-roll dice as per normal with target locks or is the TL token used to just fire them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's used just to fire them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the language of the cards say "spend your target lock" (cf. the "Spending target lock tokens" section in the rules section about modifying attack dice), I would assume that the target lock is used simply to fire the weapon. The fact that proton torpedoes and concussion missiles have an additional die-changing ability seems to reinforce the idea that you aren't able to reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad this has already been asked. I was wondering the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:

I can't believe someone actually searched before asking a question!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Shmidt
msg tools
Karadek wrote:

After picking apart the rule book, I've been treating the proton torpedoes secondary attack with target lock rules - meaning we can both reroll the attack dice once and change one focus result to a crit. The special rule just ensures more of a chance to do damage when the reroll turns up a focus result.

Heres my reasoning for following the target lock rules:

On the proton torpedoes upgrade card under "Attack[target lock]" - it writes "Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack."

On page 11 of the rulebook, the paragraph titled Roll Attack Dice states that both primary and secondary (aka proton torpedo) attacks use attack dice. That last bit is important because it leads us to the next paragraph stating how target locks modify these attacks.

The rulebook on page 11 has another paragraph titled Spending Target Lock Tokens. It states that when the player spends/uses the target lock, the player can reroll each attack dice once. Also, the "Spending Target Lock Tokens" highlighted text also matches almost word for word the "Spend your target lock" text on the proton torpedoes card.

Just because the proton torpedo card requires a target lock to be used, does not mean target lock rules don't apply to that attack. In fact there is no part of the rulebook (or pt card) that says proton torpedo target locks are different than primary attack target locks. Further, if they did not want you to use target lock rules, wouldn't they print "discard or return your target lock token" instead of "Spend your target lock?"

The last thing that tipped me toward using target lock rules with proton torpedoes is the fact that it seems drastically overpriced without it. Tie Fighters still have 3 agility along with their defensive actions. The proton torpedoes card is expensive and only used once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not correct, Joe. You spend the target lock to take the action to fire the torpedo or missile, so it's unavailable to spend again to reroll the dice.

EDIT: Correcting my terminology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that when you spend your Lock to fire the torps, you haven't rolled any dice yet. The card overwrites the rules, and the card says to spend your Lock and discard the card to fire, not to modify dice.

The only ordnance I can think of that doesn't require you to spend a Target Lock to fire is Homing Missiles; you have to be locked on to use them, but don't have to spend it to fire so you can still use it to reroll later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeshmiddy wrote:
It states that when the player spends/uses the target lock, the player can reroll each attack dice once.

It states that a player may spend the target locks to reroll dice, not that you get to reroll the dice whenever you spend a lock. It's a subtle difference, and I think that's what's tripping you up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
joeshmiddy wrote:
It states that when the player spends/uses the target lock, the player can reroll each attack dice once.

It states that a player may spend the target locks to reroll dice, not that you get to reroll the dice whenever you spend a lock. It's a subtle difference, and I think that's what's tripping you up.

And it's one of the reasons that homing missiles are as expensive as they are - while they require a target lock (like all missiles and torpedoes), they (uniquely) do not 'spend' the lock when being fired. So, with homing missiles, you DO get to re-roll if you want to spend your lock when resolving the attack dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.