Japan
Suita-City
Osaka Japan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduce GotW #370 Kevin Whitmore.
In 2009, I try to sale my Kassen and Deeku in Essen spiele with Mondainai Games. The games are sold out. I released Inotaizu at the end of December from my site.
So the Kevin bought Deeku from me directly.
Then I received any questions from him. And a few weeks ago, I received the surprised mail. He rewrote the English rule! I was not good English, of course, the rule is hard to read. I'm happy, and I can study the English as the board game, as I compared with the rewritten rule and my rule. It's very good experience for me!

So the follow is his introduction.
Quote:

Thanks Kenichi for selecting me as Geek-of-the-week! I enjoy BGG more than any other place on the internet, so it will be an honor to serve. Here’s a little background about me:

I have loved games ever since I discovered Monopoly at a young age. I’ve played miniatures, role-playing games, and computer games, but my chief love is for board games. I game twice a week in regular game groups. One group has been going strong for over 20 years, and the other I host and founded over a decade ago.

I love the Euros, and that is most of what I play. But I have a small wargame collection, and a small but growing collection of abstract games. I have fondness for investigating backlists, one of my more recent efforts has been to collect most of the run of games by Franckh, which I made a geeklist about here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71235/pre-kosmos

I enjoy meeting online friends and playing games. I’ve attended various public and private game cons. I am looking forward to attending my first ever Gathering of Friends in 2013, and I am the co-founder of two small New Mexico game cons that I help organize for about 40 friends each year.

Poll
Poll: My three statements
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I have worked as a FM “jock” at an album-rock radio station.
25.0% 21
I am the grand nephew of famous actor, James Whitmore.
44.0% 37
In the past, I have been a “helper” (mailing out missing parts and pieces) for Rio Grande Games.
31.0% 26
Voters 84
This poll is now closed.   84 answers
Poll created by Tanayan
Closes: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:00 am

And my questions are follows.
1. What do you like at lunch?
2. What is the best card game in 2012?
3. Did you come to Japan? If so, where?
4. Where do you play the game?
5. Did you join to Gencon? If so, what is the best game?

Enjoy your week!
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoopy congratulations Kevin form one of your fellow geek's of the week, enjoy your week.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations Kevin

Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kevin! Enjoy your week in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Kevin! I hope we game together one day soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kevin, glad to see you make GotW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Enjoy your week in the spotlight, Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.” — Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray - congratulations, Kevin!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
"How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist..."
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin

Congrats! Now let's have some more Avalon Hill Geeklists! Enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

And my question: Since you collect and play many, many particularly obscure games in other languages---what is the one you are most interested in seeing translated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Kevin, I hope you have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Kevin was almost the name that one out when my parents were naming me.

Enjoy your week!

If I happen to find myself in Albuqurque are you up for a game of Kingmaker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanayan wrote:
I introduce GotW #370 Kevin Whitmore.
In 2009, I try to sale my Kassen and Deeku in Essen spiele with Mondainai Games. The games are sold out. I released Inotaizu at the end of December from my site.
So the Kevin bought Deeku from me directly.
Then I received any questions from him. And a few weeks ago, I received the surprised mail. He rewrote the English rule! I was not good English, of course, the rule is hard to read. I'm happy, and I can study the English as the board game, as I compared with the rewritten rule and my rule. It's very good experience for me!

And my questions are follows.
1. What do you like at lunch?
2. What is the best card game in 2012?
3. Did you come to Japan? If so, where?
4. Where do you play the game?
5. Did you join to Gencon? If so, what is the best game?

Enjoy your week!
Congratulations!

Hi Kenichi, and thanks again for this honor. I'll answer your questions:

1. I live in New Mexico, yes - it is part of the USA - and I have come to love the local chili. We especially love our chili served as a garnish. The plant is harvested while still fleshy. It is then roasted. After peeling and de-seeding, it is chopped and added much like you would add pickles to a burger. Of course we have many Mexican style dishes such as enchiladas or tacos. But one of my favorite lunches is the green chili cheeseburger.

2. I am ashamed to say I neglect card games in preference to board games. But I have played Wuerfel Bohnanza, and have liked it. But I guess that is more of a dice game than a card game. I also had a chance to play Kleine Fotosafari, and also found that some fun. I am sorry to say that I still need to play your game "the Major Four".

3. I have come to Japan three times, but not for over a decade. I have visited Tokyo all three times, but once I was able to tour Kyoto. A beautiful city which greatly inspired me.

4. I host games in my home almost every week. We have a second building on our property, and I call this "The Game Bistro". I house my collection of roughly 300 games there, and have seating and tables to accommodate roughly 16 people to play at a time, a bit more if we squeeze in.

5. I have attended Gencon in the past. But it has been long ago. I now primarily play at more local events in New Mexico. But I have attended events in Denver, Los Angeles, and next year I will attend the Gathering of Friends. I have also attended Gulf Games, an event organized by Greg Schloeseer.

I'm not opposed to attending more public events, but with limited opportunities, it has been easy to simply attend local events I help organize for friends.

Thanks,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS Kevin!

Wow, I heard that round hit! That was close. I knew you were nearby but I didn't realize that you were kind of a big deal.

As a fellow ABQ-ite, I feel obligated to grill you come up with some more penetrating questions.

You are obviously a gamer of some years, and with a broad base of experience so;
d10-0 How did you get your start; how long ago, and what were your first gaming experiences?
d10-1 Is there anything from those early days that you are still willing to play?
d10-2 I, like many other gamers on BGG went through periods of lax play, for one reason or another. You seem to have managed to get a lot of gaming in over the years. How have you managed to get so much play in? Have you ever gone through a fallow period of gaming?
d10-3 You say that you are primarily a board gamer now, but you have dabbled in the other genres (war gaming, RPGs, abstracts, etc.). If you aren't playing a board game, what is most likely to be on your table, genre-wise? Like what?
d10-4 What got you into, and later out of, RPGs? Did you have a favored system and setting?
d10-5 You have plenty of experience with wargames. Was there ever a time when they were your main passion? Why have board games become your passion?
d10-6 As I've mentioned, you seem to get a lot of gaming in. Has the Bistro been the enabler for so much play? Did you purpose build it for gaming, or did you adapt it to your current needs?
d10-7 Tell us a little more about these small NM Cons of yours. What? When? Where?
d10-8 ABQ doesn't seem to be a great gaming environment, with the demise of Ares Games, and a diminished Active Imagination. Are there local establishments that help maintain the gaming community here for you, or do you use alternative sources to sustain your hobby?
d10-9 Your 'Previously Owned' game list is twice as long as your 'Owned' list. You don't seem to have any problem ridding yourself of games with low or marginal interest, nor do you seem to be afflicted with the collector's syndrome which affects so many of your fellow gamers (myself included). Why do you think that is? Any advice for curing hoarding compulsive collecting? Have you ever been a collector?
d10-1d10-0 You've been on BGG since the beginning. How much credit does the site deserve for keeping your gaming interest up? Was BGG the reason for your interest in the Euros, or in some other genres previously unknown to you?

I realize I've doubled up on many of the questions, but I wanted to give you a big stage. You have the floor now, is there anything you'd like to add?

Enjoy your week in the spotlight, homeboy.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Kevin! Congratulations! A well deserved award.

So, are there any Metagaming Microgames that you don't own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Kevin! Hope you have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Please remember to handle all of your power and authority with wisdom and calm.

What boardgame would you like to see as a RPG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz! Have a good week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Kevin!

What's your favorite game in your wargame collection?

Is there a wargame you don't already have that interests you to play some day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.