Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
disclaimer: i have not played this game yet, still i looked at every card carefully and made up my mind building good spellbooks. (In addition to that I am fairly experienced with ccgs as I played a ton of them already)

what do you think about the game balance in this game? i am paticularly interested in your opinion about attack spells, which seem a litte overpriced to me compared to creature prizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have a game yet too, but I'm going to state my opinion anyway

Creatures vs Attack spells balance is complex thing - they have many differences, but I try to point out every adventago one type has over other.
Creatures:
- can attack multiple times
- once summoned, they have their own action - that gives you more flexibility with timings and casting other spells
- they can have other uses - slow down your enemy, activate traps etc.
- thay can be buffed with enchantments
- you do not have to hav line of sight to your enemy to attack with creature
Attack Spells:
- they can have range
- thay can be quickcast action
- they do not have to wait one round to attack
- they can not be debuffed with enchantments
- they ignore guards
- they can not be killed before acting
- thay can be attached to spellbinding item (and you can ue it every turn)

So, if your build can use one set of adventages over the other, you will find use for attack spells/creatures even if in general one type of card is less powerfull than the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The balance between attack spells and creatures seems fine so far. Attack spells are generally less efficient than a creature can be, but they also attack right now. While single target attack spells are less efficient in many ways, zone attacks and Chain Lightning can attack multiple targets, which can make them far more efficient than creatures when you have many targets. Chain Lightning in particular is amazing, as it doesn't require your opponent's forces to clump like a zone attack does. There are strong ways of dealing with both attack spells and creatures, and both are important aspects of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
sdougla2 wrote:
The balance between attack spells and creatures seems fine so far. Attack spells are generally less efficient than a creature can be, but they also attack right now. While single target attack spells are less efficient in many ways, zone attacks and Chain Lightning can attack multiple targets, which can make them far more efficient than creatures when you have many targets. Chain Lightning in particular is amazing, as it doesn't require your opponent's forces to clump like a zone attack does. There are strong ways of dealing with both attack spells and creatures, and both are important aspects of the game.

good to hear. I was particularly afraid of the beastmasters creatures rush. Background is that i tried to build a spellbook that is centered around using attack spells (wizard).

After completing it i revisited the beastmasters spellbook and compared them both. I am fairly certain that the beastmaster will shred everything in this game with his rush.

Still you revived my hope that this won't be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using an Elemental Wand with Chain Lightning, a Mage's Wand with Sleep, and the conjuration that gives all non-mage creatures upkeep 1. Those are the ways that immediately spring to mind for a Wizard without creatures to deal with a Beastmaster animal rush. In particular, the status effects you can inflict with Chain Lighting can blunt the offensive ability of a creature hoard even if the damage isn't enough to kill the animals immediately. I'm sure there are other ways of dealing with it, but that should get you started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malteh wrote:
sdougla2 wrote:

good to hear. I was particularly afraid of the beastmasters creatures rush. Background is that i tried to build a spellbook that is centered around using attack spells (wizard).

After completing it i revisited the beastmasters spellbook and compared them both. I am fairly certain that the beastmaster will shred everything in this game with his rush.

Still you revived my hope that this won't be the case.

There are a large number of hard counters for the beastmaster 'zerging' strategy. Two I like are the 'all creatures take one damage a turn' and 'all creatures gain Upkeep +1' conjurations. These are absolutely crippling if the beastmaster focuses on cheap creature swarming.

This is not to mention the number of cards that hit multiple creatures. Generally rather mana-intensive, but with some decent timing they are game-enders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.