Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Harris
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody seems to hate this rule, though it is necessary to keep it otherwise the game could stalemate. In addition, it's not particularly well explained in the rulebook. Some queries which arose from a recent session:-
You overtake another player's piece, and land on a colour space. You do NOT use the dispenser, instead you take one tile from that player's board. You then roll again. But what happens if:
1. The overtaken player has no tiles? (We ruled you simply roll again.)
2. You land on the same space as another player? Does the overtaking rule come into effect? (We ruled no, you have to actually get past the other player.)
3. You overtake and land on, not a colour space, but a Chinese character space? (we ruled that you do NOT take the 100 yuan for landing here, just as you do not use the dispenser on a colour space. You still take a tile from the overtaken player's board, then pay the 200/400 yuan if this is an owned space, then roll again.)
4. You overtake more than one player at a time. Do you take a tile from each? (We ruled yes.)
5. You roll again, and overtake a second player. Does the overtaking rule come into effect again? Could you go right round the board on re-rolls, if your opponents were sufficiently spaced out and you kept rolling sixes? (Again, we ruled yes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Howes
Wales
Blackwood
Gwent, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family (and myself from playing many years before) agree with all points except

5. We decided we don't take and roll again if moving away from the first player as the rule only says to roll and move on. Seemed more balanced this way.
Not sure what I used to do before.

The kids love playing this now. It was in storage for years.

Edit:

5. If we land on an owned section on the pass we dont pay but do pay if we land on an owned section after rolling to move away ie. at end of turn

We now space ourselves evenly around the board for starting.

I still suggest 'oldest and wisest' goes first (oh, that's me!) but agree to highest roll of the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.