Joe Schama
Portugal
flag msg tools
Prussia plays Milan Decree. It's a MUST BE PLAYED event.
There are no French Squadrons available in the pool.
Does the event still take place (only no Squadron for France). Or does it not take place (and Prussia must play the card for CPs)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure it does take place - Prussia gets to build according to a die roll and the card is removed from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darune
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
All parts of the event must be possible to be applicable. In this case not all parts of possible, so it does not take place (and prussia plays for CPs instead)

At least that is how I understand the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I had no idea this card's event was so ambiguous until you called my attention to it.

Rule 6.1 says "If an event contains multiple parts, the conditions for each must be satisfied or the event is unplayable."

The Milan Decree event text reads: "Not playable in 1805. Gain CPs equal to a die roll. If France controls Rotterdam, place an available French Squadron there under a Build Marker and remove this card from the game. A Neutral Proxy will play this event only if France controls Rotterdam. DISCARD"

French control of Rotterdam is not a condition necessary to play the event, unless the nation playing it is a Neutral Proxy.

The central question is whether France having an "available French Squadron" is a condition necessary to play of the event when France controls Rotterdam.

It appears to me that "place an available French Squadron there under a Build Marker and Remove this card from the game" is a command which must be satisfied if France controls Rotterdam. (But I could be wrong. It could simply mean that a French Squadron is placed only if one is available.)

So Milan Decree can be played two ways:

A) If France does not control Rotterdam, the event may be played by a Player Power or Pact Proxy, which rolls a die to generate CPs. The Event is then removed from play, as it's a DISCARD card. A Neutral Proxy cannot play the event this way, because France does not control Rotterdam.

B) If France does control Rotterdam, the event can be played only if a French Squadron is available. The event is then removed from play. A Neutral Proxy must play the event if France controls Rotterdam and has a Squadron available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.