Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Looking for an entry to wargaming, and these two games seem to have been highly recommended.

I'm ideally interested in something that can be played solo if possible (playing both sides is fine).

Battlelore doesn't seem to be available, not does Battle for Westeros, which is a shame as I love a Song of Ice & Fire.

What else should I be looking at, or which or Memoir / C&C shoudl I get?

Ideally, I'd be looking at a play time of 90 mins or (or less)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try that question here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/743498/wargames/general

where more wargamers hang out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those guys seem a bit...'hardcore' for what I'm looking for really
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
Hi there,

Looking for an entry to wargaming, and these two games seem to have been highly recommended.

I'm ideally interested in something that can be played solo if possible (playing both sides is fine).

Battlelore doesn't seem to be available, not does Battle for Westeros, which is a shame as I love a Song of Ice & Fire.

If you are just getting into wargaming, I'd suggest M44 first, and then CC Ancients as a follow up. Sure, there are plenty of additional choices for a first wargame, but these are pretty good. M44 will get you used to the idea of different unit types, movement and combat, terrain, line of sight, and so forth. Good building blocks for getting into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:

Both Memoir and C&CA can be played in 90 minutes easily. For you, the problem with both games however, it that the tension comes from not knowing what cards your opponent has. You lose all of that in solo play. Battles of Westeros works a bit differently and is a little more solo friendly.

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Play Memoir Online, where you can play Memoir either solo or vs. other players. IMO this will give you a better flavor than playing the boardgame solo, and you'll have your choice of all the East/West/North Africa/Pacific front scenarios without having to buy any expansions.

2) If you're amenable to other periods, look at the Hold the Line and Napoleon's War series. They are similar in complexity to Commands & Colors, but action points are determined by die rolls rather than cards, making it solo friendly. I'd also look into Tank on Tank, which is a very easy WWII game which also includes randomly generated action points for easy solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Memoir' 44 online is a pretty good idea to understand the basic concepts of the C&C system and you can play against AI so is a good solo game.

I own C&CA and it is a complex game to explain to a beginner since it has so many units and a lot of options like withdrawal, melee, long-range attack and leaders.

I feel like you can explain the rules and play a game of Memoir while you explain the rules of Ancients. Since I played Memoir' 44 online before I understood pretty well but it wasn't the case for my playing partners.

All this said, I prefer playing Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Corney
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games (both are great) but I prefer CC:A.

Foe me CC:A looks better (the blocks) and plays slightly better in terms of how the game relates to the period it represents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying M44 online now, although ideally I wanted something I could take to hotels with me that I don't need a laptop to play.

WW2 is a decent theme - it will help my son understand the studying at school when he's old enough to play it.

Personally I wouldn't mind something set in the Roman empire era, or possibly something Fantasy, with magic etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
I'm trying M44 online now, although ideally I wanted something I could take to hotels with me that I don't need a laptop to play.

WW2 is a decent theme - it will help my son understand the studying at school when he's old enough to play it.

Personally I wouldn't mind something set in the Roman empire era, or possibly something Fantasy, with magic etc.

Here are a couple of other fairly simple grand tactical ancients games that don't require and hidden information and would be solo friendly:

Ancient Battles Deluxe (Only a few units per battle, simple rules, but lots of expansions)

Rome at War (Three different games available.)

Lost Battles (Not as easy to understand as some others, but it gets a lot of respect. The author, British professor, Phillip Sabin, teaches courses on warfare using simulations.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:

Wizard Kings or the forthcoming Fury of Harrows will work for fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanz RafDE
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and personally prefer Memoir '44, but that's because I own almost every published expansion, as well as the recent Equipment Pack.

The WW2 is much more appealing (at least to me), there are tons of different units, equipments and special weapons, additional rules and all to make the game as complex or as straightforward as you wish.

And the fact that you can play this in under an hour, allowing players to change sides for a second battle, makes it one of the best games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold Memoir '44 after my boys grew up, they liked pushing little green men and tanks around. I've kept Commands & Colors: Ancients because it is a great game and the system really shines with ancients. I've played it solo and it works well. I don't play it anymore because I own the amazing Lost Battles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My opinions may be different than the crowd.

Neither game works particularly well solo, and if solo play is going to be a big part of your enjoyment then maybe it's better to look elsewhere.

Ancients has a lot of supporters, but I'm not impressed. It uses the same basic rules as Memoir'44 but bolts on a lot of extra "chrome" (ie: rules added for complexity and reflect special situations). Sometimes chrome is good, but I prefer seeing it applied to a game that has a more interesting/robust system of base rules to build on. I much prefer the simplicity, higher level of abstraction, and comparatively clean rule set provided by Memoir'44.

One comment about Wizard Kings, which was mentioned above: very interesting game system but be aware going in it requires some commitment from the player with respect to buying a sufficient number of unit booster packs, creating and balancing armies based on the units received, creating and balancing scenarios, etc. If you like creating your own scenarios and tweaking house rules then this could be a great choice. If you want something ready to play "out of the box" then it's a lot harder to recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Menzel
United States
Black Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For an intro wargame that plays well solo, you absolutely cannot beat Hold the Line.

If you insist on choosing between Memoir '44 and CC:A, I would go with CC:A. The commands-and-colors left-right-center system works better for ancient warfare than for modern, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm going to give M44 a good spin online and will probably purchase it at some point.

For now I might also pick up Claustrophobia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.