daman whodaman
msg tools
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29429509/C...

Really would like the help of someone on this one.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Would be very much appreciated. I hope also the reward will speak for itself to them

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, there are cards and rules for developing heroes up to level 5 here:

http://ratdorg.blogspot.co.uk/p/index.html

It would be pretty simple to adapt these rules to move up to level 10.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Yes but what about the rest of the requests.
Ive seen a lot of this and that on either sites... i want
something well thought-out and put together.

This will allow for my team to use without breaking anything and in the end reward the person who put the proper effort to it.

Thank you for the thought though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade, your offer is very generous but I believe I speak for most modders when I say that material gain is not foremost on our minds when coming up with all the variants that you see on these forums.

Everything that you are asking for is on my to-do list at various stages of development. The inspiration for me to solidify the effort, however, is some official hint from Wizards as to how they want to approach such a campaign mode.

You say you do not want to break the game's balance. I see a fundamental problem there as the level-up progression in the game was designed with a quick adventure in mind and not a long campaign. Hence, to expand the progression to level 5 (my preference) or level 10, you would need to not only change the increase of HP/AC/power but also tune the monster/encounter difficulty to compensate for the loss of treasure items in favor of a more graduated reward system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Hi K.Y.Wong
Thank you for your constructive insight.
Yes whomever takes it upon themselves to help me with this variant will have to keep those thoughts into consideration.
Even though the reward is great.. so far no real takers.
So hope that someone who understand the challenge and the D&D world will push for this and come up with something.
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you point out in the text of your challenge, English aint your first language, so I wondered what you might mean when you say that you want to to make it fun for your 'employees'. Perhaps you intended to mean your family, but I couldn't help imagining a large room filled with rather unhappy workers hunched over their tiles and miniatures, praying for that set of new Hero cards with levelling up rules. Probably it was the wrong word in there but perhaps you would clarify as it jars a little.

I suspect that a volunteer for your specific project is unlikely since, as chromaticdragon courteously indicated, while people do put a large amount of work into developing additional components and rules for this game system, they do so motivated by love of the game and for personal satisfaction and, more importantly, very much to a personal agenda.

My own feeling is that levelling above two levels, and even up to 10 levels, while it may be perfectly possible, would involve such a re-write of all the game elements that it would cease to be the game that it is and become a different game entirely. This new game might have an appeal of its own, but is likely to lose much of the simple appeal that the current system has. For one thing, to allow the characters to grow over ten levels implies a prolongued campaign rather than the one hour to 90 minutes that a game normally takes. And to make this balance would means something far beyond simply writing the new rules but would demand a period of play testing and rule editing at least equal to that performed by Wizards in arriving at the game we have. It is no small commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
respect your opinion, but seen people write the simplest variants which i can come up with too...

the point was for maybe someone who understand better than i on how to properly setup for 10... I disagree on how hard it can be unless an amateur.(like me)

Yes i meant employees at work.. every lunch we play diff games.. this first time i decide to buy D&D (all three sets...) LOVE it so dont misunderstand. But we (employees) feel short changed in the fun factor.. they know basis of D&D and feel everything was worth the buck BUT.. 2 lvls??? comeon

Anyways, i agree to disagree with you my friend. but totally respect it knowing from where you coming.

I gave a nice reward which some complimented me on but in the end.. if you feel you can do it then please do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very interesting workplace you have. In fact, I think you are in the best position to handle the most difficult part of your request - to aim for a balanced campaign variant.

Most of us can write and propose ideas but as Scally said, the only way to know if it is balanced is to playtest the variant, a lot.

If your group offered to playtest any proposals, you might get more interest as discussion and feedback are very helpful in such an endeavour. I would certainly be willing to patch my ideas together for you to test.

You might need to adjust your expectated schedule however, my own Lair Deck took me many months of pondering..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Updated the challenge.. looking for one individual who knows D&D well and can do this for us. If so will be in discussion with him about rewards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

here are some ideas and thoughts from my side ...

The game systems of CR, WoA and LoD provide a solid platform allowing the players to enjoy challenging dungeon crawl adventures. This is even more interesting as there is no dungeon master required.

The question of "balance".
For me, a game system for dungeon crawl adventures is balanced if it continuously invites the players to "Let's go again, seeking for treasures, battle, fame and honor." This balance is lost the moment the adventures are too easy, too difficult (i.e. impossible) or ... boring. The latter is mainly originating from two sources: "We've been there before" and "Game play is nothing but a mechanistic and repetitive procedure."
A dungeon crawl adventure has to generate and reflect an atmosphere of the "sword and sorcery" realm. The game system has to provide endless adventuring options (e.g. what's waiting for us around the next corner?) in combination with simple but effective rules (e.g. the players can have their adventures move around the next corner without being stunned by all the rules to be applied to do so).

This leaves the decision to the game owners. Where do you want to go?

Path 1: focus on variety by increasing the number of game elements, e.g. add more tiles, monsters, adventurers, treasures, equipment, etc. This actually does not change the game system, the players/adventurers encounter more and more different situations and challenges.
Note: BGG is full of such additions. Greetings to Singapore!!!! The amount of additional monsters and villains is legendary.
coollaugh
This sounds rather easy and without any negative effect ... wrong. Additional game elements could produce disastrous effects on the game "balance". Imagine a super duper monster, or a never failing spell, the ultimate weapons, etc. But the real problem is not the single element. The combination (and they are endless) of several elements could crush the game play.

Path 2: focus on game system expansion. For example: quests within the missions; new activities for the adventurers (e.g. room searching); adding furniture to rooms; dungeon levels; adventuring outside dungeons; henchmen; a more reactive dungeon (i.e. whatever the adventurers do or NOT do could lead to additional and specific effects); and so on and so on.
Modifying/expanding a game system this way is quite an effort (your printer will become quite busy ...) and also requires a lot of "follow-on tuning". Each new option package could turn the game system into a cumbersome "monster" where playing ends in frustration or move you away from the "sword and sorcery" atmosphere.

Path 3: combine paths 1 and 2.

Here is my attempt to illustrate this model.

Regarding the original "challenges" ...
(1) Adventurers of levels 3 to 9.
This is asking to enter path 2. The moment you go beyond the original adventurer levels, the system gets "out of balance". Apart from the direct effects of having higher (and/or additional) adventurer parameter settings, the game system now also requires a sub-system regulating the adventurer career beyond level 2.
Bottom line: just getting the 8 data packages describing the adventurer levels 3 to 10 is not sufficient. Are you willing to go this path?

Remark: by experience with BGG is that not that many game fans are willing to enter this path.

(2) Modified/Additional adversaries.
This is a strong turn towards path 3. I see no way to simply modify some adversary data, or the number that appear during the existing trigger mechanisms, and so on. This goes far deeper and requires a thorough modification of the original game system.

Bottom line: Are you willing to go this path?
Would there be a seriously interested group of WR-CoA-LoD fans to go there, too?

Some examples ...

As a team effort, it would be great to explore the potential of the CR-WoA-LoD system. I think we all could share quite a lot of suggestions and concrete game modifications and expansions.
But this does not work if there are "consumers" only.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
If understand correctly; i would say both.
But its not about expanding on the adventures but instead on the rule set.. which would allow the;
- heroes to 10 and how everything transpires after that
Thank you

* Imagine the "what if" rulebook if there was an expansion to this. What would it be knowing D&D so well etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the Ravenloft, Ashardalon and Drizzt board games are designed as they are for a reason. My understanding of the games is that they have a high difficulty/high failure rate and so are not particularly suited to campaign play. That's just my opinion, and I have less experience of the Drizzt game because it is my least favourite of the 3 games.
My friends and I tend to play the adventures sequentially, moving on to a new adventure once we win the previous, but always resetting to level 1 each time we play.
I personally have less interest in levelling up the characters and monsters, but in designing interesting and challenging adventures using the monsters, items etc available.
Best of luck to you though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
... I would add that if you are interested in a game with a ready made, balanced levelling system, with adaptable starting levels and optional campaign play, then I highly recommend Descent 2nd edition.
Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Thank you for the response. I agree on some points but again its D&D.. with all that they gave you in the 3 adventures + DC.. you can make its a campaign or more.. just need to know D&D and what exactly you doing.

Descent did not interest me but maybe in future.. i have enough investment in boardgames and locked on D&D for next 5 months.. bought all of runebound sets minus midnight.. too expensive.
My favorite is this so far because the design and potential of randomness is high + so is the fun factor.

Overall in December mageknight expansion coming so meh... i got booked

What i want is doable but just needs integration of all three sets into one... Following with D&D it seems this was their purpose. Love it!!
thanks again for your response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Well The guy who was helping me on the challenge bailed...We were 3/4 done and He was a nice guy but...

He has just vanished and been unresponsive. Sux as i still have the reward to give and that i am still willing to do if anyone is can pickup the mantle.

We can discuss it in a email of whats left etc.. dominitia@hotmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.