Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tournament Scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
I honestly searched the forums as well as I could and read the entire tournament rulebook before posting.

Yesterday, I was playing my Weyland deck in a friendly game of Netrunner and my opponent made the mistake of walking through one of my data ravens. I promptly tagged him and did a double scorched earth combo for the flatline win. No agendas had been scored on either side.

How I understand scoring, this would be a 10-0 win, but my opponent said that "you'd never want to do that in a tournament. Agendas are what decide tiebreakers." He explained that an early scorched earth combo would give me zero points towards a tiebreaker if we had both won playing corp. He was pretty adamant that this was the way it was done.

I have found no mention of this in the tournament rulebook. I understand a flatline victory the same as a 7-point agenda win: giving 10 points to the winner.

Please validate me or call me out if I am missing something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
You are correct. You would be considered to have 10 points for tiebreaking purposes. Your friend would have zero.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
Avatar
mb
If "never wanting to do that" was in reference to losing 10-0 in a tournament game then your friend would be completely correct.

Now, winning 10-0 isn't really a problem
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Tournament Doc:

Each player’s
order of finish in the preliminary rounds determines his or her
seeding in the elimination brackets: the player who qualifies
with the most prestige in the preliminary rounds will play
against the player who qualified with the least prestige in the
preliminary rounds, the player with the second most prestige
will play against the player with the second least prestige, and
so on. Ties are broken by strength of schedule first (totalling up
the prestige of each player’s opponents) and then by a player’s
total match points accrued during the tournament.


In any given match, you'd get:
6: You won both games (and have exactly 20 game points)
5: You won one game, didn't finish the second and won the match (11-16 game points)
4: You won one game and lose the other, but won the match because your Agenda scored when you lost was more than your opponent's on their loss (11-16 game points)
3: You outright tied your opponent (same Agenda scores when you each lost): 10-16 game points
2: You won one of your games and lost the other one and had fewer Agenda then your opponent on their loss (10-15 game points)
1: You lost one game and didn't finish the other and had less Agenda in the unfinished game (0-11 game points)
0: You lost both games (0-12 game points)

So PRESTIGE points first determine your moving forward, then STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE, which is how well your opponents did overall. Of course, you'd rather gain the 2 Prestige Points by beating your opponent than rely on a strength of schedule (which is really how well they did against all OTHER opponents) tie break.

The third tiebreak is total Game Points achieved, which as you can see above is pretty variable. At no time do your opponent's GAME POINTS matter though, so a win against 0 is just as strong as a win against 6.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hmmm... Perhaps it is worth getting clarification from the OP: were you asking about tiebreakers with respect to deciding the winner of a single round, or were you asking about tiebreakers with respect to the cutoff after preliminary rounds?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kempe-Cook
United States
BLOOMINGTON
IN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiebreaker is based on how many points you had when you lost. His tiebreaker would have been 0 versus whatever you score during the game you play as Runner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
hollis wrote:
Hmmm... Perhaps it is worth getting clarification from the OP: were you asking about tiebreakers with respect to deciding the winner of a single round, or were you asking about tiebreakers with respect to the cutoff after preliminary rounds?


OP here. I don't know what I was asking, having never been in an actual tournament. I think my opponent just didn't realize that tiebreaker agenda points only count from the game you lost.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
You are correct, agenda points only count towards your total for a game you lose, any game you win via any means nets you 10 points.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tl;dr:

Camping Flatlining is a perfectly valid strategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might not want to play a Scorched Earth deck in a tournament, because when it loses games, it tends to have very few agenda points scored. But given that you are playing said deck in a tournament anyway, go ahead and burn down that apartment building!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Scorched Earth without tags. Who cares whether I hit the runner or not.

Also, the woman in the picture needs a name.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite possibly intended to be Lily Lockwell, reporter for NBN.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
It's quite possibly intended to be Lily Lockwell, reporter for NBN.


On a Weyland card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the smile on her face seems to intimate that it's a upper-middle Weyland exec, happy that she's got enough in her budget to cover "accidental destruction of property".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
Yeah, the smile on her face seems to intimate that it's a upper-middle Weyland exec, happy that she's got enough in her budget to cover "accidental destruction of property".


That is just about the feeling I got from it. That scene should definitely be in the trailer for the Android: Netrunner movie.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
manydills wrote:
It's quite possibly intended to be Lily Lockwell, reporter for NBN.


On a Weyland card?


Hey, she doesn't make the news, she just reports it. But I do think it being a Weyland exec sounds more likely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a Catherine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
From the Tournament Doc:

Each player’s
order of finish in the preliminary rounds determines his or her
seeding in the elimination brackets: the player who qualifies
with the most prestige in the preliminary rounds will play
against the player who qualified with the least prestige in the
preliminary rounds, the player with the second most prestige
will play against the player with the second least prestige, and
so on. Ties are broken by strength of schedule first (totalling up
the prestige of each player’s opponents) and then by a player’s
total match points accrued during the tournament.


In any given match, you'd get:
6: You won both games (and have exactly 20 game points)
5: You won one game, didn't finish the second and won the match (11-16 game points)
4: You won one game and lose the other, but won the match because your Agenda scored when you lost was more than your opponent's on their loss (11-16 game points)
3: You outright tied your opponent (same Agenda scores when you each lost): 10-16 game points
2: You won one of your games and lost the other one and had fewer Agenda then your opponent on their loss (10-15 game points)
1: You lost one game and didn't finish the other and had less Agenda in the unfinished game (0-11 game points)
0: You lost both games (0-12 game points)

So PRESTIGE points first determine your moving forward, then STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE, which is how well your opponents did overall. Of course, you'd rather gain the 2 Prestige Points by beating your opponent than rely on a strength of schedule (which is really how well they did against all OTHER opponents) tie break.

The third tiebreak is total Game Points achieved, which as you can see above is pretty variable. At no time do your opponent's GAME POINTS matter though, so a win against 0 is just as strong as a win against 6.


Played a game recently where 12 points were in the archives, when it was finally accessed the runner won 14-2. How many points would the winner get? 14 points? As opposed to ten? ... something doesn't seem right there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
10 for the win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
Played a game recently where 12 points were in the archives, when it was finally accessed the runner won 14-2. How many points would the winner get? 14 points? As opposed to ten? ... something doesn't seem right there.


page 18 of the Rulebook wrote:
The Runner must fully resolve his access to a card (steal it, pay to trash it, etc.) before accessing the next card. If the Runner scores an agenda that gives him seven or more points, he immediately wins the game, even if he would otherwise access more cards.


The maximum score the Runner can currently achieve is 9 Agenda Points, which would award them 10 Match Points. The Corp's ability to score is much more complex, but they only get 10 Match Points no matter how high they go.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Runner wins as soon as they score 7.

Wins are 10.
Loser gets 0-6 (Agenda scored).

But in the grand scheme of how everything shakes out, the win could be 100000 points and it would still work, since you're looking at Prestige Points (game wins) most of the time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I double check if I understand the scoring system?

One match, first round: I was Corporation and lost 1 agenda point to 8 (*horrible* luck, pretty much every card I drew in the round was an agenda).

Second round: Playing runner, I won 7-0.

Looking at the above chart, it looks like I should have scored 4 points (since, in the end, I scored 1 more objective points on my loss than my opponent). and my opponent would have scored 2. Is that correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tournament scoring rules have changed since this thread was written so many moons ago. :)

The new system is easier to understand. Whether it is better or not I leave to others to decide. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrun...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the rules before but I think these rules better represent how well a player did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I play Scorched Earth without tags. Who cares whether I hit the runner or not.

Also, the woman in the picture needs a name.


I know this is an older comment, but the woman in the picture of Scorched Earth is Elizabeth Mills!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.