Subject: Simple war game other than Memoir 44 (maybe HtL, BoB) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have recently been introduced to Memoir 44. I know the war games of the good old days, but I didn't liked them. Too many rules, charts, etc.

What I like about Memoir 44 are the simple rules, the short playing time and the reduced decisions because you can only move so much units a turn. What I do not like is the use of cards and the three regions. Too restricting and dependent on a lucky draw.

What are some good alternatives to Memoir 44, that have the qualities I like? I have read about Hold the Line and Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles. Are those the games I am looking for? Which one is better? Are there better alternatives?

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers is a bit more complex than Hold the Line. HtL is more or less comparable to Memoir, but no cards, no plastic figures, different war. I think it is better historically than Memoir, but still not a game that models all the details. I like it a lot for what it is.

BoB is simple for a tactical squad level wargame, but that's a complicated genre. I haven't played it, but the rule book suggests it's more advanced and detailed than HtL and Memoir and Battle Cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line will be on Memoir '44's level. Another game to look into will be 1812: The Invasion of Canada

Here's a listing of various geek lists that cover intro wargames.

http://boardgamegeek.com/tag/introwargames

BoB:SE is definitely a step above those previously mentioned, but it is still on the lighter side. Strike of the Eagle is around the area of BOB:SE as well.

EDIT: The rules for BoB:SE have been posted in its file section. I have on order BoB:SE and SotE. I didn't like Memoir '44 when I did some plays of it. I might get Hold the Line at some point. I like the use of dice and command points versus C&C's card system that is used in Memoir '44. SotE uses cards, but you are given much more freedom in how you use them. Add Manoeuvre and Napoleon's War into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the games that you mention.
BoB provides an excellent small squad tactical experience, but it is somewhat more complex than the base M44 game (although it is still a very approachable game).
I am a fan of Hold the Line. The Action Points provide a mechanic in which you must prioritize what you want to do. I enjoy M44, but sometimes it can be frustrating when your cards are all for a section that you don't have any units and you flounder along. HtL avoids this problem. The game also has some nice components and a nice price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.