Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan has been added to Boîte à Jeux ~ boiteajeux.net. Let the gaming begin. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started a 3player game. I'll report back after I've played a few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
The site just randomly puts the action markers on your board instead of letting you set them up how you want as is specified in the rules. Haven't been able to do anything else, waiting on the person I'm playing to take their turn. I doubt I have the patience to play a game over a month though, if I can't play a full game in one or two sittings I'm not really interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
The site just randomly puts the action markers on your board instead of letting you set them up how you want as is specified in the rules. Haven't been able to do anything else, waiting on the person I'm playing to take their turn. I doubt I have the patience to play a game over a month though, if I can't play a full game in one or two sittings I'm not really interested.

Unless you plan ahead and play with someone you know, I don't think you'll enjoy playing then. The site is asynchronous by nature.

And yes, I noticed that you couldn't choose start colors... But as you can't see any Trajan tiles when you pick, does it really matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is actually some strategy to placing markers.

Most of the 9 pt VP tiles require the same color (6 of 9, and the other three all require white)

6 of the 9 military tiles require blue, and the other three all require yellow.

6 of the 9 permanent goods tiles require green. Two of the other three require the same color (pink and white)

6 of the 9 worker tiles require orange...

etc.

So, if you decide to have a heavy military strategy, complemented by some 9 vp tiles, I'd say you'll be pretty mindful of how you initially set up your markers. There is a good chance you'll plan to have blue falling into the second, fourth, or sixth bowl, and also maybe some yellow. You'll probably also want to make sure you have the option to put same colors in those bowls early on.

You might even decide to make sure you can get some green in those bowls early on, because you want to snag a permanent goods tile early in the game.

I'm not arguing this is how you should play - I typically just randomly throw my markers on the mancala ring and let er rip. But there could be some strategy there that the online implementation is preventing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
There is actually some strategy to placing markers

Grrr... Now I'm going to have to study all the tile distributions and figure out strategies!! Lol. Seriously though, good information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boîte à Jeux made the game go from, "That's interesting." to "I must have it."

And so I shall. It just so happens that CSI is running a sale. Schweet!! I just hope that the boys like it as much as I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uneyed wrote:
Boîte à Jeux made the game go from, "That's interesting." to "I must have it."

And so I shall. It just so happens that CSI is running a sale. Schweet!! I just hope that the boys like it as much as I do.

Boîte à Jeux made the game go from, "Just bought it on sale." to "Oh my god, I'm addicted to this game!"

I'm finally starting to come to grips with how to work with the mancala too. Now if I can get some F2F games in as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I looked at the distributions and here are some more interesting points.

whattheproblemis wrote:
Most of the 9 pt VP tiles require the same color (6 of 9, and the other three all require white)

So rephrasing that four of the nine require white, so if you want to set these up go with white. Yellow, orange and blue all show up on two tiles, whereas pink and green only show up on one tile.

whattheproblemis wrote:
6 of the 9 military tiles require blue, and the other three all require yellow.

All five of the single military tiles require blue, but on the double military tiles only yellow appears frequently, on three tiles, while every other color, including blue, appears on only one tile each.

whattheproblemis wrote:
6 of the 9 worker tiles require orange...

Orange appears on 4 out of the five single worker tiles, and on two of the double worker tiles, one of which is a double orange. Yellow appears on three of the double worker tiles, one of which is a double yellow.

So if you are looking to get military tiles or worker tiles, you might want to set up blue or orange, respectively. But it might just be better to go with yellow if you are hoping for double meeple tiles.

whattheproblemis wrote:
6 of the 9 permanent goods tiles require green. Two of the other three require the same color (pink and white)

Green is on all the Games tiles, and 2 of the 3 Food tiles, but only 1 of the Religion tiles. And on the green Games and Food tiles one of each of those is a double green. The only other colors that appears on more than one people's demand tiles are pink on a Games and on a Food, and white which appears on 2 Religion tiles. So if you need Games, set up green, if you need Religion set up white.

For the double shipping cards tiles, Orange, Yellow and Blue all appear three times and each has a tile which requires the same color twice. The other three colors appear on two tiles each.

The +2 action tiles are mostly pink, appearing on seven tiles, and green (typo!) white appearing on 4 tiles. Both have a double same color tile in that mix. The only other color to appear on more than one of these tiles is green, showing up on 2 tiles.

Edit: Duh! Put the wrong color on the +2 section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice follow up! Now I need to go look at the distributions- again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone tell me how to use the +2 Trajan action token? I've taken the action 2-3. but cannot figure out how to discard the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaacee wrote:
Can someone tell me how to use the +2 Trajan action token? I've taken the action 2-3. but cannot figure out how to discard the token.

The only token that is discarded is the square extra action token. The octagonal (hexagonal?) +2 is permanent, so that should you get another extra action token for that particular action, the +2 would kick in again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it only works on tokens? Not the mandala actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaacee wrote:
So, it only works on tokens? Not the mandala actions?

It will work for Senate, Shipping, Military, Forum, Trajan, or Construction actions. Once you have acquired a corresponding extra action token and take that action you effectively have the option to perform the action 3 times in that single turn. You extra action token is discarded but your +2 multiplier stays.

It does not allow you any opportunity to rearrange your mancala a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, during the course of the game you complete the Trajan tile granting you a +2 marker. When you acquire the +2 marker you immediately place it on your player board, allocating it towards a particular action. It remains there for the rest of the game. You may already have acquired a bonus action token of that type, or you may subsequently acquire one. Whenever you take that particular action you may redeem the matching bonus action token for bonus actions. If you have a +2 modifier attached to that action, you get two bonus actions. If you do not, you only get one bonus action. You give up the bonus action token, take your normal action and then take your bonus action(s).

Above I said you can redeem the bonus action tile when you are taking that action. That means for example, when you take a military action you may redeem your military bonus token. This will generally be when you use the mancala to take a military action. However, you could also do it when you build your first military building in the construction area (which grants you a bonus military action).

You may never use more than one bonus action token per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a great explanation. Thumb for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.